PDA

View Full Version : Feeling hurt- Did I do something to offend EVERYONE I know!?

LarsMal
12-11-2006, 01:23 PM
This is kind of a spin-off of a few other posts I've read regarding sending/receiveing holiday cards. It got me thinking, and now I just feel the need to whine about it for a second. (Maybe it's my pregnancy hormones getting to me again- I feel like I've been spending a lot of time on the b*tching post!)

We haven't received a single card yet this holiday season! We moved out of state about 4 months ago, but I sent out a change of address photo card. I got many responses at the time about how cute the card was, so I know everyone has our address. Where are our cards?! I know there's still time, and I'm sure people are still ordering/addressing/sending them out, but I know my little old great-aunts and other uber-organized friends HAVE to have sent them out!

Before we moved I was part of a very close playgroup in our neighborhood. There were probably a total of 15 people in the group. Many of us got together several times a week, in addition to our scheduled play date. I sent the group an email the other day just to say hi and see how everyone was doing- I didn't hear back from a single one of them (well, okay one, but I talk to her all the time so she doesn't count). I'm starting to feel a little sad about it all!

I really don't know what's going on. I've been up to visit family and friends several times since we've moved, and very few have been down to see us. I also feel like I'm always the one reaching out to check in with people. I swear, we moved 2 hours away and you'd think we moved to China!!

Anyone BTDT? The b*tch in me is getting to a "screw 'em all" point, but I don't want to get nasty.

Thanks for listening!

youngmommy
12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry you're feeling down! I have gone through this same feeling with people in general on and off throughout my life. My mom always says the same thing to me about it, "You have to be a freind to have a friend." I am totally not implying that you aren't reaching out, as I felt I was always reaching out too. I guess sometimes people are busier than others, and sometime all of our friends happen to be busy at the same time. I would usually continue trying to reach out, sometimes to some people who I hadn't talked to in awhile, and also throw in some pampering of myself, and before too long my phone would be ringing off the hook. When it rains, it pours. Maybe think of a friend who you might have inadvertently lost touch with awhile ago, and give her a call to go out for coffe, or take your kids to the museum or something. Plus, you should know that here on the BBB: we all love you!!! This forum has been a tremendous source of help and support for me in my life. I hope we have been there for you too!!

...oh and a little chocolate never hurts!

newnana
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
umm, we haven't even taken the pictures to put in our cards yet. Or even planned ahead and started addressing the envelopes. We're just flat out behind and hope that no one gets offended by that. Thankfully, we have only gotten one card so far this year so I'm hoping everyone else is in the same boat!

Give them a little time. Maybe they are slackers like me. Or were without power for a week like we were last week and had to go be refugees at homes with heat and were too busy with empyting the fridge to figure out where I left the cards.

I figure I can only worry about myself and my family and hope for the best eveywhere else. Hope you get some cards soon!
Michelle

newmomto3kids
12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
We didn't move, or offend everyone we know, and we have received maybe 3 or 4 cards. Ours are sitting in a pile on my table waiting for stamps.
Don't worry quite yet!! This is a busy time and unfortunately, the time of year people are most likely to put off making contact with others until things "settle down".
I have a couple good friends who live a good distance away. I like them both immensely but find myself thinking I should call them more.
Thanks for the reminder, and I hope your mailbox is full soon.

Laurel
12-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm sure you are still loved! I think it's still early- we got our first two cards today, and we always get a ton. I bet you'll have some by the end of this week. I'm sure most everyone I know did them over this past weekend. We're just sitting down to do them tonight!

maestramommy
12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Like most of the others said, they probably haven't gotten around to it yet. We just ordered ours, and won't get them til tomorrow. So the earliest any are going to get mailed out is this weekend. Granted we are a wee bit behind this year, but maybe everyone is also, because we haven't gotten any cards yet either!

LarsMal
12-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your support and kind words. We finally got a few cards today! Almost all of them are from DH's family- and are from the uber-organized and older folks I was talking about in my original post! A small part of me still thinks that some of the friends/family I left behind (DH isn't from the area we moved from so he didn't have the connection I had) are holding a grudge against me for leaving the area. We're really not THAT far, but to some of them, anywhere but the greater DC area is too far!

I didn't mean to offend anyone by suggesting everyone should've sent out cards by now! I was just a little depressed because we hadn't gotten ANYTHING! I figured someone we knew had to have sent their cards out by now.

More than actually receiving Christmas cards, I think I was feeling down because I keep calling and emailing friends from back home and no one has replied to my phone calls or emails. I'm not used to not being around my network, so this first holiday season away is a little harder than I thought it would be. But, like some of you said, it's a busy time of year, so I'll cut them some slack!

Thanks again for listening/responding!

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
If you were part of my social circle (or family) you would need to understand that I have not done my cards yet. I will probably get them in the mail maybe by the end of the week if I am lucky. Absolutely nothing personal. Some people just don't have things done yet. :)

I bet they will roll in soon.

Beth

KBecks
12-13-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm with you, only my problem is that none of my friends call me. I call and leave messages on their phones, but do I get calls back? No. It kind of sucks. DH had a complex about parties -- he throws them, but doesn't get many invitations.

I get paranoid too, but I doubt anyone is upset with you. I imagine folks are self absorbed in their own holiday planning, and those cards are getting darned expensive to send out, so people may be trimming their lists? I don't know.

Anyway, I think I over-ordered our holiday cards this year. I'll happily send one to you with photos of my cute kids on it. (No personal note though, I'm taking a very easy approach to holiday greetings -- people who want a personal update have to CALL ME! -- LOL!)

LarsMal
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks- we can swap cards! :-) I told DH last night that I'm taking them all off my list of Happy New Year/birth announcement cards I plan to do in January. I'm not wasting our money on them if they can't respond to phone calls or emails (I'm past the card receiving at this point)! Of course I'm all talk, and they'll all get one anyway, but I really don't WANT to send it to them!

Hormones, hormones, I think they're starting to get the better of me!