PDA

View Full Version : You bought your parents what??!

Ceepa
12-13-2006, 03:14 PM
OK, so DH and I don't have the warmest, fuzziest relationship with his parents. I'll leave it at that.
Last month was DH's birthday and he received a drink cozy (I'm not kidding). It must have cost $8 or less. And a note from MIL saying they had forgotten to send the card with the check in it (they were on a three-week vacation at the time).

Anyhow. When they got home from the vacation a birthday card did arrive but there wasn't anything in it. Now before you think we're materialistic. We're not at all. We couldn't care less about their money. But I was angry because DH was obviously hurt that all he got in total from his parents was a drink cozy.

Fast forward to today: DH calls me this afternoon to say he went out at lunchtime and bought them iPods. IPod*s*. Plural. WHAT???!! "Yeah, I bought one for each of them."

Again ... WHAT????!!!!

I think maybe he's keeping up with his sister who bought them some electronics and suggested he do the same.

I am so angry right now. We do not have the money to throw around, especially on people who are so thoughtless in the first place.

Oh yeah, I haven't bought my parents' presents yet and now I feel like I have to watch the prices more to compensate for DH's insanity!!

-Ceepa

set81616
12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Hugs. If it were me I would kindly suggest that he return them and replace them with reconditioned ones bought at apple through ebates. The 512 are only $29.
We are in a similar situation with MIL (although DH won;t even always get a card much less a drink cozy) and the other day DH said oh I found a good deal on a GPS for mom. WTF? I don't plan on spending that much total for everyone and yu don't even like this woman? Apparently it's what she wants. I will be livid if DH actually buys it.
Shannon

candybomiller
12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow. That sucks.

I can't help but wonder what his sister got for her birthday. Is he trying to buy their love and attention? Have an insane need to outdo his sister?

rlu
12-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Wanted to thank Shannon regarding info on reconditioned ipods. That comment just brought DH's wish list into budget for me!

Ceepa - we have similar issue with DH grandmother but she won't be around forever so we just "be the bigger person" but when there's a budget involved your DH seems to be out of line.

Ceepa
12-13-2006, 07:47 PM
DH came home from work and said as soon as the kids were down he'd go and return the iPods. He came to this conclusion mostly by himself at work. :) He agreed that it was a lot to spend and that his parents wouldn't even know what to do with them anyway. lol

Shannon, I had to laugh when I read your post because out of nowhere last week DH was telling me he thought we should get his parents a GPS.

-Ceepa

BTW, Candy, I think there's merit to both of your questions where my DH and his family are concerned.

bubbaray
12-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I would buy them both drink cozy's.

He he he

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

casey0729
12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
but make sure they're bigger and better drink cozies.
KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

boys2enough
12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
First I think we need to look on the bright side and give your DH kudos for being kind and generous.

Then, we should thank the lord that he came to his senses on his own, again, kudos to him for being smart, so we didn't have to take out the wet noodles!!!!!!!

You really should be the bigger person here. Go ahead and give your MIL something bigger and nicer than the drink cozy. Here, how'd a toaster cover sound to you? ;-) LOL

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36926.jpg

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

snowflake20
12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
That sucks. It's hard when you are dealing with your husband's parents, especially if you don't get along. The thing is, no matter how awful the ILs are, they are still your husband's mom and dad and your husband will always want to please them. I constantly get annoyed at my ILs for perceived slights to my husband.

It's still not Xmas yet, can't he return the Ipods for something else? Did your husband at least get the Ipod Shuffle? :)

DrSally
12-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Love it!

ETA: And the toaster cover is priceless!

mommy111
12-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Ooh, that would have made a perfect present for ex-MIL