PDA

View Full Version : Do I deserve compensation?If yes,what?

deannamorrison
12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
I am dealing with a situation. Yesterday, I put all of the money I have in the world in my checking account. I went about my day, using my debit card and passing checks. I even checked online and sure enough my deposit was "there".
This morning I wake up, check my account online and -bang-the deposit disappeared. I call my bank. Apparently, all deposits made at that branch did not go through due to some kind of technical error. Now I have no cash for the weekend. And I cannot use a credit card as I do not have one.
My question is-do I deserve compensation of some kind? This is a huge inconvenience. I don't even have milk in the house:(

set81616
12-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Technically, no. They do need to give you back any fees that arise because of it. if your debit card has the VISA symbol on it you can still use it as a credit card. They should have made the money available since they knew this was a problem. Sorry, hope you make it through the weekend without too much trouble.
Shannon

Pennylane
12-16-2006, 08:17 PM
As a former banker, I can tell you they will not give you any form of compensation unless the error caused you to bounce checks. Then it is up to a manager to refund those charges. You can use your debit card as credit(if it has the visa/mc logo) and it will take longer to post to your account so hopefully by then your deposit will have cleared.

Ann

deannamorrison
12-16-2006, 09:09 PM
>As a former banker, I can tell you they will not give you any
>form of compensation unless the error caused you to bounce
>checks. Then it is up to a manager to refund those charges.
>You can use your debit card as credit(if it has the visa/mc
>logo) and it will take longer to post to your account so
>hopefully by then your deposit will have cleared.
>
>Ann
Hi Ann! So if I go to the store tomorrow and use it as a cc, it won't get turned away?

set81616
12-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Right. The CC is actually cleared through the VISA network so they don't know if you have the money or not. Your deposit should go through before it clears but if it doesn't the bank will be responsible to reimburse those fees. Don't let them give you a hard time about it (they shouldn't since they kinow they are at fault.) BTW I used to be a bank teller too.
Shannon