PDA

View Full Version : Umm no we aren't changing the secret santa to everyone buys for everyone!

robinsonbn
12-17-2006, 03:02 AM
OK so many of you read my previous post about our freinds giving us such a hard time about having a secret santa due to pointless drama. Well, I finally told everyone that they were to bring a neutral gift and it would be assigned a number. Then we would all draw numbers, if you didn't like the outcome to bad get over it. We are having our party on Christmas eve and I already purchased the gifts (one from me one from DH). Today I got a phone call saying that eveyrone decided to just buy for who they wanted to or everyone....are you kidding me! First of all...that would mean alot more money and 2nd..I already got the gift! I am done with all my shopping except for 2 presents....I told them no! We were doing it how it was planned if they didn't like it don't come! Guess we will see what happens...people I swear. I think that everyone's brains shut off this time of year. This particular season has been extra stressful between them and FIL I am thinking forget Christmas lets just go on vacation.

cmdunn1972
12-17-2006, 06:29 AM
UGH! LOL Can I bitch-slap your friends for you? ;) Isn't it frustrating when you try to do something to lessen (or eliminate) drama, and all people do is use your solution to create more?

After all this, maybe you can talk your DH into a nice, long cruise (or similar getaway) in January as a Christmas present. ;) Lord knows you deserve it!

dules
12-17-2006, 09:13 AM
It's your party, you set the "rules of play". Get DH on your side to help keep things moving the way you want them to.

Good luck and I hope your friends know how lucky they are that you put up with them. ;)

Mary

bcky2
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
i cant believe that they would call and tell you how to do your christmas party! if they want to buy for everyone else then fine do that, but exchange them later after the party or something. im sorry you are having such a hard time with your get together for the holidays. i hope you have a wonderful christmas no matter what they all end up doing :)

elizabethkott
12-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Here's a thought that worked at a party we went to recently:
Everyone brings a wrapped gift and then chooses a number.
You select a gift to open in the order of the numbers.
BUT, when you open your gift, you can "force a trade" with anyone's gift who has already opened theirs.
So getting a "high" number in the order is actually advantageous, since you can "take" someone else's already opened gift!
It's actually kind of fun!
:)

bubbaray
12-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Cancel the gift exchange and have everyone bring cash or a cheque for a donation to charity....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

KentuckyRK
12-17-2006, 11:49 PM
>Here's a thought that worked at a party we went to recently:
>Everyone brings a wrapped gift and then chooses a number.
>You select a gift to open in the order of the numbers.
>BUT, when you open your gift, you can "force a trade" with
>anyone's gift who has already opened theirs.
>So getting a "high" number in the order is actually
>advantageous, since you can "take" someone else's already
>opened gift!
>It's actually kind of fun!
>:)

Lol, have you been watching "The Office" lately!
That's EXACTLY what they did on their Christmas episode in season one and it didn't work out very well for them *wink*

Though it does sound kinda fun :O)

We always did secret santas at work for anyone who wanted to and it worked well, but with my friends I just get small gifts for each of them (close friends only) and send Christmas cards to the rest. I would start having parties without gifts if your friends are going to act like that. Just have fun get togethers with a door prize or two and leave out the gift giving.

I also like that charity idea. You could just take all the gifts that everyone brings and say "Ya know what, since you're all such smart a**es I'm gonna just donate all of these to charity!" At least then you know they'll be appreciated and maybe your friends will get the message!

robinsonbn
12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I tried to broach the charity idea with them....they all had 1000 excuses why just a normal old exchange would be easier...DH and I however, did our own donation to Toys for Tots and sent some care packages to our boys over seas. Luckily DH is on my side, we are doing it how we planned and if they don't like it to bad...I kinda gave up and now am just like whatever happens happens, oh but we did cancel our New Years party. DS will be with grandma and grandpa so after all the stress from this one...we are just going to have our own little get away that weekend. Were and What I dunno...