PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Old Twins Go Wild! Never Leaving the House Again . . .

kfk
12-18-2006, 12:21 PM
O.k. That's a slight exageration. What I really mean is I'm never going to an event at somebody else's house that doesn't have similarly aged kids again.

Thanksgiving at my friend's was hard enough, but at least I felt the hosts made an effort (they even bought some new books and cars for the boys), and the older kids in attendance interacted with the boys, and the twins eventually simmered down after dinner.

But last night's Hanukah party at my brother's was the worst. All the electronics/phones, even the menorahs, candles, etc. were at little kid level. Plus the house is multi-level with no railings. And the doors have those lever handles that are incredibly easy to open. Oh, and an open heating grate on the living room floor, just begging to have toys dropped in. The boys were just really active after the hour long ride to get there, and it was dark and cold outside, so running around outdoors wasn't an option. They had no interest in the bag of toys I had brought for them. They got into everything, over and over. The only other child was my 7 year old niece who has about 5 minutes patience with the boys and then checks out. My SIL made no effort to interact with them (a whole separate bitch). My brother was busy doing all the cooking. The other adult guests were doing adult things: drinking, eating and having conversation.

My boys are active, but usually not this wild. What is it about being in someone else's non-little-kid house that winds them up?
The whole event was so stressful (plus I'm feeling very sick and exhausted) that it just wasn't worth it for me. I guess we're going to have to host holiday stuff ourselves (in our tiny apartment). At least the boys have moments of calm at home.

dules
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow that's rough! You certainly had your hands full just trying to keep them safe, let alone keep them from destroying your brother's house. ;)

I find evening holiday gatherings tough on DD - she gets this extra, slap happy second wind and it's next to impossible to control her.

I hope they slept well for you when you got home. And - congrats on your new miracle! I hope you feel better soon.

Mary

AmandaDyck
12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
It SUCKS when family doesn't understand the dynamics of young kids, especially twins! I don't have them, but I can only imagine the type of stress I would have with my DDX2. I feel for you. My only suggestion would be lots of gravol (kidding!), snacks and a portable DVD player. The only thing that works for my DD.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-18-2006, 01:04 PM
It is so hard to go out with one 2 year old active boy, i do not think we would ever leave the house if avi had a twin. It is very hard taking him out anywhere. Did your SIL and brother live in that house when your niece was young? It does not sound very infant/toddler proof.

Would you be able to get a babysitter next time you are invited out to either come with or to stay at home with the boys to help you out?

I hope you start to feel better soon, and congratulations!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

almostamom
12-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I completely understand and I only have one two year old boy!!! We host as much as possible at our house now. It's easier to clean up and cook than to worry and constantly say "No" at someone else's house or at a restaurant. No easy answers for you, I just wanted you to know you are definitely not alone! BTW, congratulations on your new little miracle. What wonderful news!!

Hugs,
Linda

kfcboston
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Hear, hear, Keri. I am WITH you!! It's just not worth it.

kfk
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Katie,

So you have three (including twin boys)?! If this miracle sticks, I'm going to be hitting you up for advice!

ColorBlue
12-18-2006, 07:35 PM
We just told everyone that if they wanted to see us they had to come to us. Its just too hard to go anywhere with two year old twins and a high energy five year old! I honestly think people think I'm being overly dramatic but its so hard and its not fun in any way for the DH and me so why go.

Oh and yes they love to behave the worst when you need them to behave the best. And don't get me started on houses that are kid unfriendly!! And they wonder why you don't want to come back!

Total sympathy here!

Tracy

Mom to Grace 11/01 and Madeline and Ella 10/04

kfcboston
12-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Too funny, Keri. All the moms I've talked to you in your future situation just LOVE having the third. They all feel it's the biggest treat on earth after the twins!!! They revel in it.

Look me up anytime!! :)

denna
12-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Keri-

Just wanted to send you (hugs) for your tough night. I think hosting at home, or trying for a sitter sounds like the best bet for now at least.

And adding some ((sticky vibes)) for you!

maestramommy
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Wow! Sounds like a very rough evening. Also sounds like your bro and SIL made this more of an adult party, even though they have a kid. That would so not be worth it for me. Maybe if your bro has another party you can decline?

Anyway, hope you recover soon. And about someone else's house? That's when my dd plays with the toys. Something about it being somewhere else makes it more appealing to her.