PDA

View Full Version : Right. Obviously, as her mother, I am clueless about her needs!

sarahsthreads
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I am beginning to really hate extended family gatherings now that I have a child. The unsolicited advice is outrageous.

I'm sure that the reason DD was up until after 11:00 was completely due to the fact that she took a 37 minute nap, not anything to do with the fact that her grandparents fed her ice cream before dinner, after which she and her 6 cousins tore through the house like crazy people. Oh, and that she's sleeping in a strange bed in a strange house. :P So obviously, we should try dropping her nap! That will definitely help! (You should all read that paragraph in the most sarcastic tone you can manage.)

Ugh. Just had to get that off my chest. At least, for once, nobody asked why kid #2 wasn't on the way yet. Then again, we left the party "early" (what makes 9:00, when you have a kid with an 8:00 bedtime and have an hour+ drive back to the house you're staying in, early?) and I didn't really socialize all that much because I was chasing my two-year-old around a showpiece of a house (white couches. chocolate cookies. toddler. need I say more?) that wasn't remotely baby-proofed. I'm sure DH's family thinks I'm an anti-social freak. Oh, well.

Sarah :)

SpaceGal
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I hear ya! I get this your a clueless mother treatment from my mom (who really is clueless) all the time. It's almost like they try to console you but don't realize that your child/children are in a new environment and are acting all nuts or whatnot.

I try my best but it's hard...I think to myself "smile and nod" and then leave. :)

psophia17
12-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Oh oh oh! Can I add to your pain? DH's aunt, single, no children, suggested to me tonight that I burp the baby after I feed him. Now why didn't I think of that?

And DS1, who had had a long, difficult day with much whining and crying and no nap, smacked into the wall and needed a kiss from his mother to make it better. But Auntie snatched him up and tried to do my job...he didn't go for it, and kicked her. After that, she told me not to comfort him because naughty boys don't deserve it. I could go on and on...stupid people, stupid advice...

Sorry for the hijack, but I so hear you on the unsolicited advice!

sarahsthreads
12-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Go right ahead and hijack! Oh, I feel for your DS. When DD is hurt - emotionally or physically - she'll come running, lower lip stuck out a bit, but holding herself together. But if someone else tries to comfort her besides myself or DH she has a complete meltdown. And then we'll sometimes get some snide comment about her needing to be less attached to us. Yeah, whatever. Um, we're her *parents*. That's what we're here for. Heck, I still go running to *my* mom when I'm sad or hurt sometimes. ;)

So, wait, you're supposed to burp the baby? Hmm...

Sarah :)

psophia17
12-20-2006, 03:15 AM
I've come to re-read your response so many times tonight - it's been a long, long day and now I can't sleep (what is UP with that?). So wait, I'm supposed to burp the baby...I love it!

candybomiller
12-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I hate to say it, but the unsolicited advice never ends. Now I've got my father in law trying to convince me that the best thing for ds would be to homeschool him. I've considered homeschooling, but for fil to suggest it is just weird and random. And he obviously has years of teaching experience with his degree as an engineer working 35 years as an industrial engineer.

Yeah, sure. I think we'll add this to the "Take this advice and shove it" pile.