PDA

View Full Version : Good god... someone put me out of my misery

Radosti
12-19-2006, 11:00 PM
DS is teething... I think. I can't see swollen gums, but he borderline bites me every time he nurses. He's passing my nipple through his teeth every time he latches on. He's refusing 1/2 or all the EBM bottles (wasting 9 oz yesterday and 6 oz today at daycare). He's nursing/eating poorly at home. The three previous nights, starting at 3:30 am, he's been waking up screaming every 15 minutes. Tonight, he's been waking up screaming since he went to bed. He sounds stuffed up when he screams/coughs, so I just gave him Triaminic and he's been asleep for the last 30 minutes. He doesn't have a fever at all. Daycare teachers told me "he wasn't himself" all morning, but was fine all afternoon. He's developed a mild rash over his whole torso. You can barely see it, but it's definitely there when you run your hand over it. I was going to call the ped, but the school nurse didn't think it was anything serious.

This is not like the other times he's been teething. Normally, he gets so stuffed up, it's like he has a cold. He's never had any skin problems and the only reason he couldn't sleep before during teething was due to snot running out of his nose. And his gums were always really swollen. I don't think they are nearly as swollen as they were before.

I am beginning to lose my sanity. Yesterday, I fell asleep at a traffic light ont he way to drop him off before work, someone beeped me awake. I am almost as miserable as he is. What is going on???

Wife_and_mommy
12-19-2006, 11:05 PM
It's pretty rough, eh? Could it be his molars? Or maybe a virus. DD had one virus that she had those little bumps for.

I'd definitely do Tylenol or Motrin at night so you can all get some sleep. Hugs to you.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png

Momof3Labs
12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
How about his ears? If he is stuffy, he could have an ear infection.

Ooh, but mild rash on the torso sounds like roseola (harmless but the kids feel lousy).

boogiemom
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I agree, definitely check the ears. My DS acted exactly like this when he had an ear infection. He didn't want to nurse or take a bottle because the sucking hurt his ears. He also wouldn't take a paci and has never taken it again. If he is teething and is stuffy, this creates "the perfect storm", ideal for an ear infection to begin.

Hope he feels better soon!

cmdunn1972
12-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Tylenol sounds good, or Tylenol Cold. (They have an infant version of Tylenol Cold now.)

If there's a rash, though, I wouldn't give Motrin, since ibuprofen can aggravate an existing rash. We found that out the hard way when DS started getting hives. We had been giving him Motrin for teething at night and the ped told us to stop the Motrin and give Tylenol exclusively until the hives cleared up.

connors_mommy
12-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I've been wondering the same this with my DS, he's 4mos old, and has been refusing to eat for a week now. He's got a sinus infection and has been on antibiotics for his 2nd week now. I bottle feed and I feel like i'm wasting so much formula because he just wont eat. He's been waking up more too at night, not crying or anything, just waking up. I can't feel any teeth but he chews and bites on everything! He got a hold of my knuckle this morning and was just chomping on it!! So, I don't know if the teething is causing his loss of appetite or all the antibiotics he's been taking. I feel for you...all the night wakenings is leaving me very tired too...hang in there!

Radosti
12-21-2006, 02:57 PM
We went to the ped last night. No ear infection, but the ped cleared out so much ear wax that I had to ask if I am not cleaning his ears correctly. However, 3 weeks ago, when he DID have an ear infection, there was no wax. Go figure...

The ped checked him out and basically said to give only tylenol as often as needed. He thinks it's part viral and part teething. Last night, I kept the tylenol bottle by my bedside and just squirted it in his mouth when he woke up screaming at 11:30pm. He slept the rest of the night ok. Well, he woke up 2-3 more times, but wasn't screaming.

cmdunn1972
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Good to know he seems to be somewhat on the mend! This is a crazy time of year to begin with. Try to rest easy.

Hugs Mama!

Radosti
12-26-2006, 08:25 PM
So, I noticed that the runny nose is turning into green gook this morning. Called the ped office and got him in at 10:30am. As I undressed him, I kept saying "Oh my gosh, he's burning up!!!" The kiddo was so hot to the touch. The nurse then said to me, "Oh, they don't go by the fever as much anymore as other signs." The doctor came in and I wanted to ask him to check DS's temp, but DS had bad memories of thursday night's ear cleaning, so was very upset (this was a different doctor). I completely forgot to ask him to check his temp. The doctor ended up finding a pretty infected right ear. So, he DID have an ear infection after all. I took DS home and left him with DH while I went out to Rite Aid to fill the Amoxicillin prescription. Got home and DS looked exhausted, like he was ready to fall over. DH has just gotten him to eat 1 chicken nugget and drink a little water. Nothing else seemed appetizing to him.

I took him upstairs to nurse and take a nap. He barely nursed, then slept for 2 hours. When he woke up, he was very cranky and emanating heat once again. I quickly went to change him, give him Tylenol and check his temp. He had a 104.7 fever. I checked it again to be sure and it was right. I gave him Tylenol and called the ped again. The ped said to just alternate tylenol and motrin to keep the fever down and the antibiotic would take care of the rest. I get that... but I was ready to take him to the emergency room. Holy cow... 104.7, no wonder he felt so awful. Within about 15 minutes, he was tons better and was happy, crawling and playing. I dosed him with Motrin before the Tylenol wore off completely. Now he's in bed.

The poor kiddo is sooooo sick. No wonder he hasn't been sleeping.

sdoyle
12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Oh the poor little guy!! Sorry he is feeling so bad. It's horrible to know they are feeling bad and you can only do so much. Hang in there and keep up with that tylenol. Sounds like it did wonders for him. 104.7 would be so miserable :(

Hope things get better soon!

Radosti
12-27-2006, 11:24 AM
It only got worse overnight. He wouldn't keep tylenol down. Started getting up from sound sleep and projectile vomiting bile all over himself and me (and the bed). I would change him while he sat there whimpering because he felt so cruddy, DH would change the bed and we'd go back to sleep for an hour. Then start all over again. Went back to the ped this morning and they are seeing this going around. At least he's keeping tylenol and a bit of my milk down. He's napping in the swing now even though he's 3.5 lbs over the weight limit. It's the only way he doesn't choke on his own post nasal drip.

aliceinwonderland
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this :( Poor babe. I just wanted to say that it sounds to me you're doing all the right things--my DS is known to spike a HIGH fever every 6 months or so (sometimes in the absence of other symptoms) and the first time I completely freaked and had DH drive us to the ER. They did nothing but make us wait a long time only to alternate between Motrin and Tylenol as you are doing.

Radosti
12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks! He just ate a half a jar of chicken and rice baby food (I thought I'd start with bland stuff). He also fed himself about two dozen steamed peas. He nursed for a couple of minutes and drank a bit of water from the sippy cup. So, we'll see. Maybe the worst is behind us. I just want to take away all his hurties and make him feel better.

newnana
12-27-2006, 01:55 PM
You may have already said this, but it hurts the kiddos to lay down flat with an ear infection, that's why the swing was better for him. When DD has an ear infection, we put some big books under the head of her mattress to elevate her head. It relieves some of the pressure and helps her be more comfortable. Good luck!!
Michelle

Radosti
12-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Yup, that too... just keeping his head elevated. I'm afraid by the time he's done with this illness he's not going to know how to sleep actually laying down... poor little kiddo.