PDA

View Full Version : You should be able to buy coats in the wintertime.

kijip
12-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Since it is after all COLD outside. 3 last kids to buy coats for as part of my job. No coats. In any colors or sizes in materials thicker than a little fleece. Tried 3 different stores. Come on, the darn things should be SOMEWHERE. Bet if I lived in Minnesota this would not be an issue. Off tomorrow to try Old Navy and JC Penney.

Don't even get me started on tring to buy everyday dresses for a very conservative family (no pants for girls). All any store had was minis (not appropriate for the weather or the values of the family), dress up (need something for school and it is not taffetta and velvet) or jumpers for toddlers (older girls.) The last minute nature prevents online shopping which adds to my blah mood about finding stuff.

And I hate shopping. Hate it. :)

JoyNChrist
12-20-2006, 03:01 AM
You know, I have the exact opposite complaint.

All I can find here is stuff for really cold weather. Big coats, thick sweaters, etc. I even saw a SNOWSUIT in JCPenney's the other day. Come on...a snowsuit? We live in south Louisiana. I haven't even turned on my heater yet this year, so what do I need a snowsuit for?

Anyway, just letting you know I feel your pain.

Radosti
12-20-2006, 07:52 AM
I went on LLBean.com to find a 2T coat for DS as he's growing fast and grew out of his previous size. Nope, nada... I ended up going on Ebay and buying the same coat used. Oh well, it's in awesome shape. No biggie.

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Target should still have coats. We live near a large Jewish community and many are conservative. They have a few stores in the neighborhood where you can buy longer skirts and such; do you have any specialty shops like that near you?

But, I hear your bitch. I went to buy a lightweight fall/ spring rain jacket at the end of September. They said at one store they only carry those in the spring. The weather is the same in the fall- it makes no sense!

Beth

BaileyBea
12-20-2006, 10:09 AM
So did everyone in Seattle go run out and buy a new coat when the snow and rainy cold weather began and just clear out the shelves... Wow! I am with you that is pretty surprising.

I wish you happy shopping and good luck.

Nancy

C99
12-20-2006, 10:14 AM
> Bet if I lived in Minnesota this would not be an issue.

I would not make that bet. I live in Chicago and the only coats left are on clearance at places like K-Mart. I can find snowpants, however. But I won't be able to in a month. ;-)

For the dresses, check out Land's End at Sears.

buddyleebaby
12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I feel your pain.
i can;t find a winter coat for myself because there sre none.
I got one for Abigail at TCP- it was already 40 percent off.

elliput
12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Katie, that just sucks, and I hope you are able to find some nice coats today. My local Target still has coats and snowpants/bibs, but there is also on the shelves now (and has been for over a week) Valentine themed items and short sleeved shirts in the toddler section. WTH? Winter is *just* starting.

kijip
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
No luck at Target but I will make sure to look at TCP. 40% off means more $$ for toys and games for the clients at my work. :)

dules
12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Katie, try the Landsend shop at Sears for the conservative family everyday clothing. You might even hit some sales.

I'd bet they have coats too but LE coats are $$.

Mary

cmdunn1972
12-21-2006, 07:21 AM
That sounds like a good suggestion. :)

Katie, I wonder if you could find winter coats at consignment shops? I know they wouldn't be brand new, but it might be worth a look.

Retail always seems about 3 months early than the actual season. You'd think they'd still have winter coats for the after-Christmas sales though!

candybomiller
12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Any luck Katie? I could see what I can find here and make a quick trip to Seattle to drop what I find off. :)

casey0729
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
AS a Minnesotan I can tell you that yes, you can still buy coats though it is 39 and RAINING in the Twin Cities today - we have no snow!!!

I am, however, having a hard time finding boots for DS.

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

s_gosney
12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
>But, I hear your bitch. I went to buy a lightweight fall/
>spring rain jacket at the end of September. They said at one
>store they only carry those in the spring. The weather is the
>same in the fall- it makes no sense!

I had the same experience this fall. I had sold dd's spring raincoat b/c she wouldn't have been able to wear it both fall and spring, but I'll know better next time!

Katie, I hope you're able to find what you need!

kijip
12-22-2006, 01:09 AM
>AS a Minnesotan I can tell you that yes, you can still buy
>coats though it is 39 and RAINING in the Twin Cities today -
>we have no snow!!!

>I am, however, having a hard time finding boots for DS.

Well, there are boots galore here (rain city thing :) ) so maybe we should just shop for each other, LOL.

kijip
12-22-2006, 01:13 AM
I bought all the coats I needed for work at Old Navy. Great prices too and stylish enough for the older kids to actually like them. :) And then I found out that this afternoon that toys were buy one get one half off at Sears, so I was able to patch up the last few holes very nicely while holding to my project budget. I don't think I have to go back to any stores. Hooooraaaay.

kijip
12-22-2006, 01:21 AM
As luck would have it a very nice lady came in with some dresses in the right sizes. :)

Thanks for the tip- I did hit the LE sales at Sears with for one of the families we are sponsoring with our friends and found the cutest sweater and a nice coat for the 11 year old girl (just going to call her tomorrow and ask if she wants the pink or the blue or the purple- I put all of them on hold and J can pick up the one she wants.) J was all over the LE section. Nice to be able to see the items before you order. And it was while at Sears I discovered the toy sale and wrapped up all the rest of my work related shopping. :)

candybomiller
12-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Awesome! I bet this family is going to be so, so grateful. Great job Katie!

squimp
12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
ON was a life saver for my "toys for tots" kids this year. I was so happy to find a pretty, stylish Christmas outfit for a 9-yr-old girl there. And some cute tops for a 5-yr-old boy.

cmdunn1972
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
According to this NYT article, coats haven't exactly been flying off the shelves on the east coast. It's been too warm here this winter (so far). There are probably some pretty good deals in my neck of the woods:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/23/business/23warm.html?ex=1324530000&en=806972bf7f550be6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Fairy
12-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I know this is very after-the-fact, but if you're still looking for a good coat for kids, the Gap has them on super-duper-sale. Here are some of the baby boy sale choices --> http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=26208&pageID=-1. Saw this and remembered your post. Do hope you found something by now; if not, however, might wanna try this?