PDA

View Full Version : PET PEEVE why take an animal home u know u wont keep !

TraciG
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
My SIL got a puppy, I just found out from DH, meanwhile she lives with her mother who doesn't like animals, I give it one week or less that she takes the puppy back I guarantee it ! I think it's unfair to the puppy !!!!!!!!!!

candybomiller
12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
poor puppy!

Nicsmom
12-20-2006, 01:05 PM
That bothers me a lot. My BIL used to talk my MIL into getting dogs - so she would not be alone - but since she was not a dog person she ended giving them up to other family members. Well, after 3 dogs, same story, I had to tell her and my BIL that that was pointless and cruel to the animals. They finally stopped. But hey, some people just don't get it. They think animals are objects that you can simply get rid of when you want.

TraciG
12-20-2006, 02:58 PM
My DH said her boyfriend got the puppy from a breeder so they can't give it back, hhmmmmmmmm we'll see what happens, hopefully I'll be wrong !

Marisa6826
12-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Any *reputable breeder* would actually INSIST that if you couldn't keep one of their dogs, that you bring it back to them. In fact, it's usually a clause in the purchasing contract.

-m

jgiovagn
12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
My BIL, in the last 10 years, has been through 6 dogs and 9 cats (and 2 wives). I guess when they're not cute anymore, or turn out to be actual work, or aren't growing up the way he wants them to, it's just easier to get rid of them (I'm talking about the pets, not the wives).

But I see plenty of people do this and it breaks my heart. Why get a pet (again and again and again) if you're not willing to accept responsibility for it? Poor animals...

Jean

hez
12-20-2006, 10:42 PM
This almost made me laugh because it never occurred to me there were other people out there like this. My ex-uncle (who was almost my uncle again but cheated on my aunt while they were engaged!) is totally like your BIL. I think he's been married at least 4 times, the first time to my aunt. They got a dog together, and of course the dog moved out with my aunt. He discards people and animals without a second thought.

I don't get it either, but I'm one who tends to put down roots and hold on to things, so there you go.

Radosti
12-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh, I would give them a piece of my mind. I run a dog rescue and it kills me when people treat animals like that. DH once asked me why I make people jump through all sorts of hoops prior to adopting a dog out to them. I make them fill out an application (before ever seeing the dog in person), give me a vet reference and two personal references (that I actually call), then I have a phone interview with them. If I like them and agree that they'll be good owners, I invite them to come meet the dog. If all goes well, we do a home visit with the dog. If I still think it's a great home, I leave the dog there ($200 adoption fee that covers the dogs' vet bills). I have a 99% success rate this way.

I told DH that I'd rather do all that work weeding out the bad dog owners to start with, when the dog is young and cute. He still looked perplexed, so I asked him if he'd like a bunch of dogs returned when they are older. He got the point and agrees with my method. He's even gotten several of his co-workers to adopt from us.

We've had 80 foster dogs over 3 years. Phew!!! Only kept one of them - a very abused Shiba Inu.

elizabethkott
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
KUDOS to you for being such a responsible doggy-foster-mama!!! There are not enough people like you in the world who would not only open their homes to an animal knowing that you are taking on the weight of caring for and loving an animal along with the responsiblilty of finding a wonderful, loving, healthy home for the puppy for the duration of its life!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!