PDA

View Full Version : question:

Lynnie
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
If you only had time to bake one cookie, what would it be ?

edited to change because never should have pressed the "post message" button on this one !

LarsMal
12-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I just made a new cookie this week, and I swear I've eaten 2 dozen by myself already! They are my new favorite...

They are called "Monster Cookies" and they basically have it all- PB, oatmeal, choc chips, M&M's (I omitted the raisins- too healthy!). mmm....need to go eat another :-)

Monster Cookies Recipe courtesy Donna Haney, as adapted by Paula Deen

Makes 3 dozen:

3 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12-ounc) jar creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup raisins, optional
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.

**They come out kind of soft, so let them sit the couple minutes on the baking sheet. They may look undercooked, but they're not. I baked mine for 9 1/2 minutes, next time I'll just do 9.

Lynnie
12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
now that is one SURE way to get out of my bad mood !!

Thanks !!! I may even have almost all the ingredients, and can buy m&ms in the vending machine at work !

cmdunn1972
12-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Lynnie, I sent you a PM.

MelissaTC
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I just made these too and they are my new favorite!!! I also preferred them cooked on the silicone mat as opposed to the parchment paper. Did you see her show on Saturday??? LOL. DS and I also made her Hidden Mint cookies which are pretty darn good as well.

Hidden Mint Cookies (from Paula Deen)

18-ounce roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough, sliced 1/4-inch thin
14-ounce package chocolate mint wafers (Girls Scout thin mints are ideal but I used Keebler Grasshoppers)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, or enough to cover top of cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Slightly grease a cookie sheet. Place slices of sugar cookies on sheet, about 2 to 3 inches apart. Top each with a chocolate wafer. Cover wafer with another slice of cookie dough. Brush dough with a beaten egg. Press nuts into top of dough. Bake for about 10 minutes.

NOTE- you can only bake 3 at a time. These cookies are huge. Be sure to place them in a triangular position so they don't touch or overlap. They will blow up! But they are super super yummy and very easy to make!

LarsMal
12-21-2006, 02:42 PM
That's exactly where I got the idea!!! I saw her make them and ran to the pantry to see if I had all the ingredients!

I'll have to try the Silpat next time. I have one, but just used parchment this time.

I made them on Sunday, and have them in the fridge- Do you think they'll still be okay for Christmas? I don't know how long cookies stay good.

I'll have to try the mint ones, too, they looked SO good!

Lynnie
12-21-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks all.

from now on, I am going to try to edit every bitch to a cookie question - its much more fun. (ok, more fattening too, but hey, that'll just lead to another bitch, changed to another cookie question !)

I AM going to make cookies this year darn it. sigh.

(hey, there I go, back to the spirit of bitching !! )

tarynsmum
12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!

I just made these. Seriously, they're cooling right now. I got the recipe off the Food Network. They are AWESOME!!!

Oh, and in case anyone else wants to try: don't try to make a double batch. It really is a lot of cookie batter for such a small bowl :o Needless to say, I was covered (as was half the kitchen) with sticky peanut butter-oatmeal

LarsMal
12-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah- too awesome! I seriously think I've eaten my weight in Monster Cookies this week! :-)

punkrockmama
12-21-2006, 03:00 PM
nak

holy crap. the perfect cookie. i shall make these for dinner.

JMS
12-21-2006, 03:04 PM
my first bookmark in the bitching forum :)

LarsMal
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I eat them for breakfast- oatmeal is oatmeal, right? (oh, and lunch and dinner, too- and snack time in between!)

Gotta love that Paula Deen!

ribbit1019
12-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Add it to What's Cooking? I hope to make them but I am about cookied out, (eating and making) lol.

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

bubbaray
12-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Lynnie, hugs to you, I did see your post earlier but didn't get a chance to reply. This too shall pass.

Could I make these cookies without the PB??? I have all the other ingredients and we are supposed to avoid PB as DD has scratch-tested +ve for it (but h/n yet been food challenged, so we don't know for sure if she is allergic).

I think I too need cookies b/c I'm all bitched out and chocolate alone is not doing the trick.

TIA!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

s7714
12-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Those sound yummy, but I'd end up eating them all by myself as my DH and older DD don't like raisins or oatmeal in their cookies. Although that would just mean more for me!

ETA: If I only had time for one though, I'd make regular Chocolate Chip, without a doubt!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

trentsmom
12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Monster cookies are AWESOME! The recipe I got years ago made a huge batch, as in one dozen eggs, 18 cups of oatmeal, etc. I used a cookie scoop to form the cookie dough and then froze them. Did you know frozen monster cookie dough tastes good, too? :)

writermama
12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
those monster cookies look good, but if I could only make one, I'd go with nostalgia and make a classic: chewy chocolate chip cookies.

if I could eat PB right now, I'd make a batch of those monsters. I'm definitely gonna bookmark those for when baby is weaned or tests negative on allergy.

candybomiller
12-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I think I might be in love...

jeminaal
12-22-2006, 07:59 PM
These sound absolutely delicious, but any suggestions on what to use instead of peanut butter?

DD is allergic to peanuts and walnuts. :(

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day