PDA

View Full Version : I HATE this flimsy, cheap-a$$ wrapping paper!!!

jgiovagn
12-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Arrrgh! Taking a break from wrapping...I can't STAND this lame wrapping paper! Ripping constantly, making the wrapping even more difficult...just had a giant tantrum and threw it all in the garbage.

It's important that I spare no expense in purchasing the actual gifts, but then buy cheap wrapping paper that results in constant aggravation!!!

How do you tell the "good" from the "bad" when it's wrapped in cellophane?? I want to make sure not to make this mistake next year. Also, while I'm at it, I need to remember to only buy gift wrap with some sort of linear pattern in it so when I cut it it's straight. Once I bought some with a grid on the back - that was AWESOME!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Jean

kristenk
12-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I *think* that Hallmark wrapping paper has a grid. I'm sure there are others, but I somehow manage to avoid buying it b/c it would make wrapping so much easier.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I purchased about 3 new rolls of paper from the container store and they're all incredibly flimsy. I forgot what it was like to wrap with GOOD paper. If you figure out a way to tell the good from the bad while cellophane-wrapped, PLEASE share!

LD92599
12-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Hit the Hallmark stores next week and then if you're in a mall at the mid/end of January check them again - by then paper is usually 75% off and I stock up!

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

daniele_ut
12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
The last time I bought Christmas wrapping paper was about 3 years ago at Costco and I was really pleased with the quality. I still am, in fact, because I'm still using it! It was a really big roll and was relatively inexpensive. It doesn't have a grid on the back, but the paper is pretty thick.

egoldber
12-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I bought Costco paper this year and was amazed at the quality for the price.

candybomiller
12-23-2006, 04:47 PM
We're still using costco paper we bought years ago. Great paper adn excellent price. Unfortunately no lines.

jgiovagn
12-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Well while I'm at it, let me also bitch that I don't have a Costco!! I believe we may be the last area in the free world without one...

When I travel for work, everyone else hits the area's high-end malls and I'm like "Ooo! They have a Costco!".

Jean

KBecks
12-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I agree the grid-back stuff is great. I also think it's possible to get paper that's too heavy and then it's not easy to work with either.

My problem is that my regular Scotch tape doesn't look good and doesn't hold well on the super-shiny papers, I need the clear tape. The ends of some of our packages are coming apart and that is so annoying!

I bought some great stuff from Hallmark. You may want to try their after Christmas sales. Also, I have liked things I've gotten from the school fundraisers that sell wrapping paper. Surely you know someone whose kids do those things?

Good luck for next year!

Momof3Labs
12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Hallmark paper used to be the best, and it's all that I buy (on sale after Christmas, of course). But it's been getting flimsier, and now they don't print the grid on all of it (I think some kind of Hallmark value pack didn't have grids??). I'll have to try Costco next time around, especially since we now have a Costco near us!

Marisa6826
12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Long ago, I resolved to just using plain old brown wrapping paper. It's cheap, durable, comes in wide lengths.

I then use all kinds of different ribbon, twine, raffia, etc. to spiff it up.

Last year, I used alphabet stamps to indicate which present went to whom. You can also designate a particular colour to each person and use different ribbons, but the same colour family.

If you really want to get fancy, you can stick a sprig of greens or holly in with the ribbon for some 'oomph'.

Have fun.

-m

LD92599
12-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Great idea to use regular plain 'ole brown paper! I might have to do that next year..or the old easel pads from work LOL!

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

SpaceGal
12-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah I think Hallmark has the thickest paper...with the exception of the value line.

I did get some after Christmas paper from Home Depot last year of all places that is really thick and I like it. Oh and I just got some 3M Heavyweight Gift wrapping paper, with the scotch tape plaid design on it and w grid...so I kind of liked that it was simple and festive too.

I heard good things about Costco too...too bad no Costco here either.

rupptopia
12-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Container Store has wonderful wrapping paper, thick & easy to make good edges. Great designs too. They mark it down after Christmas quite a bit.

I also tried Costco paper this year & it was great. And you can't beat those huge rolls of wired ribbon for $8. . .

Michelle

lisams
12-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I have total sympathy - DH and I just finsihed the wrapping frenzy and some of it was just really cheap quality. I made a mental note to get some better stuff for next year!

lisams
12-24-2006, 01:12 AM
What a clever idea and very cute!!! I could see DD having fun even helping out a little!

elizabethkott
12-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Oooooh I hear you!
I bought 2 rolls of paper at the local five and dime. One roll was very cute red with adorable santas. Sadly, it was total crap. Like couldn't even cut it in a straight line without it starting to rip crosswise! I struggled with it to wrap a bunch of gifts to send up to dh's family before finally getting frustrated enough to open the other roll - also very cute silver with snowmen...
And the second roll was awesome! Good thickness, AND with the grid on the back!
I wish I had switched off sooner! But why were the two rolls of such different quality in the same bin for the same price?
Whatever. I'm so hitting the wrapping paper sales on tuesday and stocking up for next year!

lvales
12-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Hobby Lobby.

I just got a HUGE roll last week of heavy duty paper WITH the grid on the back for $2.99. Regular price was $5.99 but it was well worth that price too.

I'm going back after Christmas to stock up!