PDA

View Full Version : Why do people go crazy during the holidays?!!

cuca_
12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I swear, the holidays seem to turn some people into beasts, or maybe they just venture out during this season. I have had countless of people cut me off in the roads. It seems that everyone wants to get somewhere fast, and it does not matter if it is at the expense of someone else's safety. I also had some guy try to cut the gas station line in front of me. What the heck?! And then when I honked because he was getting dangerously close to my car he lowered his window and glared at me trying to intimidate me!?

However, the prize goes to the mom with two kids at the mall. They were coming out from the bathroom hallway, when my oldest DD stood in front of the stroller to say hello to her kid. By the time I got over to DD to move her out of the way (and this took seconds) the Mom glared at her and said "if you don't move I will run you over." And she was not kidding!!! I just could not believe it and asked her what was her problem, my kid is 3.5 and she was just trying to be friendly. Seriously what is wrong with the world and what kind of example is that mom setting for her children. I seriously felt bad for them and should have told her so. (Of course I thought of a million things I could/should have said after the fact). Honestly nothing justifies that sort of behavior.

I just want the holidays to end. It seems that they bring out the worst in some people!!

Thanks for listening.

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

jgiovagn
12-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Carmen -

What an awful example that Mother is - especially during the holidays! I hope your DD's feeling's weren't hurt. I honestly don't know what's wrong with some people.

I have to give some kudos to my own DD when, at 2 1/2, she was singing in McDonald's. Some jerk turned around and said "Could you shut it!?" Just as I was getting ready to lay into him, she says sweetly, "We don't talk to people like that. That's not nice". I couldn't have been more proud!

So the example we set for our kids does matter, and I'm sure you're setting a wonderful one for your girls, as opposed to that scrooge you ran into.

A couple of more days, and everyone should be back to their "normal" crabby, impatient selves!

Jean

KBecks
12-23-2006, 07:03 PM
It's pretty darn ironic, isn't it?

I feel so sorry for you that your daughter was treated so poorly by another mom. That sucks. (My current pet peeve right now are adults that are nasty to kids (usually their own) in public.)

Thankfully the madness is almost over! Stay safe and try to enjoy.

candybomiller
12-23-2006, 07:18 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous, unexcusable behavior. She'll find a lump of coal in her stocking.

maestramommy
12-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Yes, unfortunately, the holidays do bring out the beast in some people. I think it's a sign that we are getting waaaaaaay too stressed out trying to outdo ourselves every year.

Thankfully, it also brings out the best in other people. We just got back from Yosemite, and it seemed like everyone was so mellow there. And in the cafeteria people actually noticed that a little person (Dora) was staring at them and waved, which of course makes her smile back. Maybe because it was off season, and not totally crowded like it usually is.

elliput
12-24-2006, 08:27 AM
I am sorry you had to deal with such rude people. It is hard to remember at the time, but I try to smile sweetly and wish people like this a Merry Christmas or during other times of the year to have a nice day. They usually end up with a very embarrassed look on their faces, but the point gets made.

jgriffin
12-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I agree that the holidays can bring out the worst in people, but it *is* a stressful time of year for a lot of us. Now, I realize the rude mother was just that, rude, but maybe her DH had told her the night before that he hadn't gotten any gifts for his family and they were all coming to visit Christmas Eve and could she please go out and get stuff for them (and from reading the BP, this is not far fetched!) Still doesn't justify her acting like that, but, well, maybe she was having a really, really bad day.

I think the best antidote is to be nice and friendly yourself, and hope it helps make others more relaxed and at ease.

As for the crazy people driving...well...they're just jerks. :)

Jen

mommy111
12-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Hugs to DD

Wife_and_mommy
12-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Something similar happened to me Friday.

I got to Costco right when they opened and did my shopping. When we went to check out all the lines were slammed so I split with my mom and stood in another. A few minutes later I told her to come to mine.

There was a couple behind me that only had a couple items. I *should* have let them in front of me but I didn't notice because I was crazed doing other things like caring for my kids(ds was asleep in the sling/dd was being fed nuts or candy), picking up candy that fell on the floor and whatnot. I felt so bad when I noticed that another line had let them in. The husband gave me a dirty look from 10 feet away as I unloaded our stuff. I wanted to chase him down to apologize but it was too crowded and I was too busy. So he thinks I'm one of those _itchy moms when, really, I'm not.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png

cuca_
01-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks for all your replies and for commiserating with me. We were away, and I hadn't been able to read the responses. Things seem to be getting better as the holidays are ending. I still can't believe that lady's behavior, and find it inexcusable. I guess is just best to concentrate on the nice people that we have encountered during this season!

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005