PDA

View Full Version : My MIL rant (long tme coming, I guess)

tarynsmum
12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I've been going back and forth about posting about this, but maybe if I get it out, I can forget about it (or at least stop letting it bother me).

My mother-in-law is extremely irresponsible,self-centered, and, well, just really annoying. Before I get posts about how I should be grateful DD just has a grandma at all, well, she doesn't really. MIL has seen DD 4 times since she's been born: in the hospital, at Easter (when she happened to stop by while we were visiting GMIL), when DD and I went with DH to visit (she didn't invite us, we just went), and Christmas Eve (again, at GMIL's assisted living apartment). My mom, who lives 800 miles away, has seen her more. MIL lives about 45 minutes away.

She acts like a teenager: she's very skinny, and wears tight, tight hiphugger jeans, and has long hair that she wears in a ponytail with scrunchies (ok, that's not bad, just annoying and sort of embarrassing for DH). She cannot keep a job to save her live, and moves every couple of months because she can't pay her bills. And who goes and moves her stuff for her (even though she is able-bodied and can do it herself): DH. On the weekends, wheh he could be spending time with his family.

Here's the real situation: when DH's father died last September (his parents have been divorced for nearly 30 years, and they very rarely ever saw each other). DH gave his mom his 2000 Chevy Impala (maybe it was a Malibu?) because she needed a car to get to work, and she wrecked hers. This was a really nice car, that DH was planning to use as a second car (he drives a work truck, which obviously DD can't ride in). He offered to sell her the car for $1200 (the car is worth WAAAY more than that) back in September, when he gave it to her. She agreed, but had "no money, but she would pay him back". You see where this is going: it's been over a year NOT A DIME. About a month ago, we get a phone call in the middle of the night: his mom, histerical (drunk) had locked her keys in the car and (I quote) "Wanted to know if it was OK to break the window to get in." UM, NO!!!! Who in their right mind thinks that's a good idea? DH says, "Just call the police, mom, and they'll get it open for you." "But I'll get arrested, since it's not my car" ... "what do you mean, I signed over the title to you a long time ago" "I didn't get it notorized, because I don't have insurance yet." WHAT?!?! So, let's recap: drunk-ass MIL, has been driving OUR car for MONTHS, still in OUR name WITHOUT insurance. If she had an accident, or gotten pulled over, WE would be in huge trouble (because the car is in our name, without insurance, on the road). So I'm still fuming over that (by the way, she wanted DH to drive the hour to where she was, in the middle of the night, to get her car unlocked. No. DH called a friend of his who lived in the area to help her. UGH)

She also STOLE (did not ask) her daughter's SSN to get a phone, electric, etc hooked up in an old apartment. SIL's credit is still really messed up because of it. BIL does not speak to MIL because of it.

So this Christmas Eve: we walk into GMIL's apartment: MIL is 'asleep' (passed out drunk) in the middle of the living room floor. GMIL, DH's aunt and uncle, and hs two young cousins are sitting around the room oblivious, watching TV. SHe finally woke up, was totally drunk, kept trying to play with DD, who was totally scared of her. She acted totally foolish, and left shortly after opening presents.

I apologize for this being so long. If you read all this, wow.

mommy111
12-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Hugs to you for putting up with this unspeakable situation!

elizabethkott
12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh dear.
(((hugs)))
Perhaps it's actually a GOOD thing she has only seen your dd 4 times. Sad and unfortunate as it may be, I wouldn't want someone that irresponsible around my dc, grandmother or not.
Yuck.

punkrockmama
12-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah Heather. I've got to agree with Liz on this one. Four times is probably four times enough with a grandma like this. I'm sorry that this lady is not the mother, MIL, or grandma that you and your fam deserve. What a sad situation. Hugs and good luck to you guy. And honestly, if the car is still in your name, I'd take it back. Have it towed away from her or something. She dosen't deserve it (to say the least) and you don't need the trouble it could bring.

LarsMal
12-26-2006, 01:49 PM
WOW! So sorry to hear about your situation. I feel for your DH, too. Sounds like he is more of a parent to her than she is to him.

saschalicks
12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Heather,
I'm so sorry that you are stuck with this in your life. I really feel for your DH & his siblings b/c this is their mother. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you!

MamaMolly
12-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Yikes!!! First of all, HUGS for having to put up with all this, and secondly, as far as your relationship with MIL goes, I think you need to draw the line at legal issues.

It sounds like she was not only using the car illegally, she was also about to drive drunk. You need to take the car away from her right away. She could kill sombody!

And if she'll comit identity theft (stealing SSNs and getting services fraudently) from her daughter, she won't stop there. You guys, DC included, could well be next.

As hard and rotten as it is, you've got to protect yourself and your family. If DH wants to see her, that is understandable but limit your exposure and your liability.

Good luck,
Molly

dogmom
12-27-2006, 02:11 PM
First, you have an absolute right to protect your family emotionally and financial from crazy relatives, even grandma. Which includes limiting your DD exposure to MIL.

I realize it's hard to look at the big picture when you're living in the day to day crap of crazy MIL (been there, done that), but your MIL has bigger issues and a generally crappy life. So it's not like she's trying to be mean. She's obviously got a substance abuse problem. If I had to put money on it I'd say her subtance abuse is covering up a history of sexual abuse (whole needing to dress like a teenager thing) and/or bipolar disease with periods of depression and hypomania. Still, sucks to be related to a person like that.