PDA

View Full Version : Stupid deer are going to give me a complex

Radosti
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I swear I am going to turn into one of those people who refuse to drive at dusk. About a month ago, I hit a deer near my house. It was on a major road and the darn idiot was standing in the middle of my lane. I swerved and slowed down. All he had to do was stand still and I'd have missed him. But noooooo, he decided to ram my car head first as I was driving past. $2400 in damages to my car, horrible images of all 4 hooves flying in the air... at least the dumb creature got up and ran away after that. I've never even hit a squirrel in my life and here I hit a friggin deer!!! The cops shrugged, "Well, it's mating season and he is male!" Ummm, yup, no brain left to use if it's mating season.... stupid male animal!!!

So, today DH was sick. I took DS to daycare, I went to work, I picked up DS from daycare and I drove home. I left a bit early from work, so I was driving up to my house at around 5pm, dusk, the time the deer are on the move. As I was driving up to a curvy point of the road, I was becoming worried as DH always points out deer in the field next to the road there. So, I slowed way down. I kept my eyes on the road, I was so careful!!!!...... and I still had to slam on the break when one of those dumb creatures leapt out into my path 15 feet from the car out from behind a bush. I then had to grind to almost a halt as a second one followed lead. I was by then completely paranoid and just stopped in the middle of the road looking around me wildly to see if there were anymore. And what do I see to my left but yet another deer in full gallop approaching the road and crossing not more than 5 feet from my stopped car.

I almost had a heart attack. And I'm not easily freaked out! They are going to give me a complex!

DebbieJ
01-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow, your little guy got to see lots of wildlife today! Glad you are all okay!

I've done the hit-the-brakes-in-the-middle-of-the-road-to-not-hit-the-deer thing myself, so I know how heartstopping it truly is.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

MommyMichelle07
01-06-2007, 07:59 AM
The thought of slamming into a deer, or a deer slamming into me, scares me silly. I loathe driving at dusk/night down a few roads that have mostly farmed feilds lining them. I've seen a handful of deer recently -- luckily just standing there. Seeing their reflective eyes at night creeps me out, too.

I did come close to hitting a coyote not long ago. First one I've seen cross the road in front of me. He was probably making sure the path was clear for his deer friends. ;)

Glad to hear you didn't get hit by the ones you saw!