PDA

View Full Version : can't he do anything but nurse???

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-11-2007, 02:36 AM
I love my son really, but for the love of god-after 3 hours of sitting in my recliner w/ a 14 mo old who won't get off of me or stop nursing i'm gonna scream. I should clarify that it isn't constant nursing. he sucks for about 5 min and then drifts off, but if i move or try to move him he wakes up and we're back to square one. I know he just learned to walk, got over a monthlong ear infection and is teething and i should be more understanding,I'm not gonna stop nursing but aaaagggghhhh-get off me kid!!! He's now in bed FINALLY with dh and i'm finally alone for the first time today. he napped in my lap today also. Whined his way through dinner and the evening. dd is even getting irritated. Gotta love that growing up,learn to walk,holy moly what's this independance,seperation anxiety .
jen

buddyleebaby
01-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Hugs, mama.
DD1 is going through a phase where she wants to nurse all the time and it's driving me nuts!
As much as I love nursing both my babies, it is hard to have someone on you all the time.

Radosti
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Yup, I was just saying the same thing about my DS. He self-weaned during the daytime for the longest time. He'd only nurse once it was dark since 9 months old. I've been pumping and sending EBM bottles to daycare with him and he drinks those. Well, I've been pumping only once a day now (down from 3 pumps) and using up some of the frozen milk to rotate it and use it up. He was sick Fri-Monday and all he did was nurse non-stop. Refused solids, just nursed. He even ended up with BF-infant-runny poops with the milk curds in there. Never thought I'd see that out of him again. And of course, that upped my supply back to crazy high levels.

I tried so hard not to pump yesterday. I ended up with rock solid boobs and went to pump at 4pm. I got 11 ounces out. Ouch!!! I overflowed one of the bottles because I wasn't paying attention.

overcome
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I can sooooo identify with that....it was a daily occurence when Mia was a few months old. I thought I was going to go out of my mind!! THANK GOD I HAVE A LAPTOP!! I spent so much time surfing the net (esp. these boards). It kept me sane.

We still have some 1 hour sessions when she is having an off day and won't nap. I feel your frustration. Savor your time alone tonight. You'll feel better tomorrow.

Hugs

DrSally
01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Ouch! Funny how your supply can go up so fast. We have 3 hour sessions too sometimes, usually he's just comfort sucking and sleeping after shots, teething, etc. Usually he's so cranky during those days, I'm happy to have him sleeping, even if it's in my arms. I found that I can watch tv closed caption and catch up on all my shows! Plus, I don't have to go to the bathroom b/c he's sucking all the fluid out of me. I've been through the "I'm done but will cry if you put me down" thing too. Frustrating. I hope you get a break soon!

Radosti
01-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Yup, when it comes to milk, I have always been the land of plenty... even when it's not needed...

ShanaMama
01-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Can I just say that I totally admire you for the amount of milk you donated? Actually, any amount would be special.
I thought about donating when I had so. much. milk. But the milk bank told me to stock up at home & bring them 20+ bottles at once. Wouldn't you know they never got it, because I ended up using every ounce when I couldn't bear to pump at work & my supply dwindled.
Kudos to you!

Radosti
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks! I can't stand not to pump at work because the pain gets so severe. I was going to donate the last 200 ounces that I've had in the freezer, but since I've cut back on pumping, we are also going through it. Just very slowly - 4 ounces a day so far. I pump and freeze the 8 ounces I get normally and take out 12 ounces to send to daycare. I didn't rotate my stash for the longest time because I'd just send the fresh milk with him to daycare. However, it became a necessity when I still had milk from early september and it was the beginning of january. Now we are through most of the september milk, only have some october & november milk (because I sent fresh milk, so didn't freeze any). There is a lot of December and january milk already, but that's way better than september.

Plus, DS used to refuse the milk I froze in bags, but now that we use the milk bank bottles to freeze, I guess it doesn't get freezer burn nearly as quickly, so he drinks it no problem. But that's why I was donating so much before, he would never take the frozen milk and I'd waste so much of it trying to give it to him.

Once I knew that the milk bank would take them milk, I wanted to see just how much I could donate :)