PDA

View Full Version : Where the h*ll has customer service gone?

hudsonam
02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Seriously, I have been so disappointed in customer service lately, everywhere I go. Having worked in retail many years of my teenage life, I know what it's like, and how horrible customers can be, but I also knew that I had to be nice to them no matter what, and the customer was always right. I hardly ever experience that kind of service anymore.

I went to the dollar store the other day. Said "Hi." No response. Said "Thank you!" when she finished ringing me up. No response. Uh... Is it that hard to say hello and thank you to a customer?? I just used Ecco's live chat today, and the woman ended the session before even asking if I had any other questions or at least saying "Thank you," or "Have a good day." WTH! We flew Southwest a few weeks ago and almost every person we dealt with seemed to be in such a foul mood. Then we couldn't get them to let us take an earlier flight, even on standby, because of our internet fair, and then the SUPERVISOR proceeded to hang up on my husband, even though my husband wasn't even raising his voice. Not that there would be any excuse to hang up on a customer. And don't even get me started on Macy's... I hate that store. (Darn, I just got interrupted and lost my train of thought :P).

I just don’t understand why customer service seems to be so poor these days. It's really not that hard. :( Ugh!

Puddy73
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Ugh, this is one of my pet peeves, too. I understand that retail and service jobs are not glamorous or exciting, but how hard is it to display common courtesy? I won't shop at our local Macy's anymore because the salespeople are soooo rude!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

maestramommy
02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, that is too bad. Southwest I thought has always had great customer service. Otherwise I know what you mean. I used to think it was regional. I live in Southern Cal, and a lot of the time customer service was pretty bad. I went to NY for a convention and everywhere I went service people were very courteous. Not super friendly, but polite and helpful. Even the cab drivers. I was so blown away. Went to Vancouver and same thing. Even the checker at the local drugstore would at least greet you and say parting greetings when you were done. I don't usually notice the difference but those two regions were so much more positive it got my attention.

However, lately at my Target they are very nice (maybe just different neighborhood). But they are always nonresponsive is the local Chinese grocery chain. Don't ask me why. Apparently manner isn't part of the employee training.

KentuckyRK
02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Having worked 5 years in retail, I agree with you on just about every single point except for these two...

>I had to be nice to
>them no matter what, and the customer was always right.

The customer is only right until the customer is not right anymore... and then... the customer is wrong. Nothing ever irked me more than when a customer used that line on me. I felt like saying "Nope, in fact you're wrong." But I was nice, so I didn't :O)

and

>It's really not that hard.

I think retail is a hard job, sometimes REALLY hard. We weren't just customer service, but also often stock, replishment, straighters, visual and other odd jobs, and in my experience there were many, many rude customers, but those who weren't rude made up for them.
For me I had to approach every customer as if they were one of the ones who'd make my day... with a smile and a friendly greeting and if it just so happened that they were one of the rude ones well then, at least I tried.

We as employees tried to make it fun, we sang songs while we worked and tried to be entertaining (more for ourselves, but others enjoyed it as well) and we got many compliments for it, but of course there were those customers who complained that we were "having too much fun and not doing enough work"... which put a damper on things.

And then there's the customers who call you on the phone and want you to do their personal shopping for them... when you have a line of 10 other people... they get mad when you put them on hold or tell them you can't...

I would personally never go back and do it again.

hudsonam
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I totally agree with you that the customer can definitely be wrong, and that it can be a VERY hard job, but just like you said, you were always courteous, which is what I'm referring to when I say it's not that hard. You just go to work knowing that you might have a difficult customer, but your job is to be as nice as possible and treat every person as you would want to be treated when you go shopping.

Believe me, I had so many retail jobs as a teenager that my husband laughs at me. Some of them were horrendous, but I was always nice to people as much as possible, and I can't fathom not greeting a customer when they come to the register, especially if they say hi to me.

pb&j
02-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I had a friend who, when he wasn't greeted or thanked properly at the end of a transaction, would say very loudly: "Thank me for my business!" :D

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif