PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter Flaked on Me!

MegND95
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Dh started a new job in January and works out of town M-F. I've been looking for a regular babysitter to come help out a few afternoons a week so I don't go insane. My neighbor, who happens to be a good friend, mentioned that her 18 year old daughter, who has graduated from high school, but not started college yet, was looking to babysit as a way to make some money. Fantastic...the perfect solution. The girl did not want a 40h a week job, but needed to earn some bucks.

A few weeks ago, after speaking to the girl on the phone about working for me a few days a week, I went to her house to visit with her Mom. We spoke face to face, and I even gave her a sheet of paper with days and times. She seemed eager and willing, and we planned to start the next week. I called the day before our first scheduled job, and left two messages (one with each parent). I still had not heard from her by the next day, and left a message on her cell and the home phone. She never called me back. And her Mom has not said one word to me about it.

I am really irritated at this girl for committing to something and then simply bailing with no word. And I am pretty ticked at my friend, who never called me to explain why her daughter failed to show up or at least call. I think someone owes me an explanation.

Grrrr....

jgriffin
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd be very annoyed with the daughter, less so with her parents. (Well, I'd actually be annoyed with all of them like you are, but would try to reason why I shouldn't be annoyed with the parents.) She's 18, out of school, and by all rights is pretty much an adult. IMO, it's not up to her parents to explain her actions anymore. The daughter definitely owes you an explanation, maybe the mother told her so and decided to stay out (you've made your own bed, now sleep in it sort of attitude). If I were your friend I'd be incredibly embarrassed, but would not to make excuses for my daughter (unless it was something like she was really sick, or broke her leg, etc)

In any case, sorry she flaked out on you!

chlobo
03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
That is so annoying. i had a similar experience with a neighbor and her college age daughter. Supposedly needed a summer gig but in the end blew me off without calling. Very annoying.

denna
03-12-2007, 01:14 AM
i have had my fair share of sitters flaking out on me but mine couldnt even try and use age as an excuse they were both over 35yo!

It really sucks and adds so much anxiety to an already stressful situation. Im sorry she flaked on you and I hope you get an apology and an explanation soon.

Good luck finding a sitter!

(hugs)