PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who has trouble with Avent bottles leaking on them?

gatorsmom
03-14-2007, 11:55 AM
DS's bottle leaked on me as I was sitting in my car, taking off the cap, and about to hand it back to him. Those darn bottles are always doing that to me!! Either they leak from the cap or the screw ring leaks. All over my newly cleaned winter coat, freshly washed jeans, and the newly wiped down interior of my car. grrrr...

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

kedss
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
yup, I could never get that bottle to work.

mommyto4
03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I used Avent bottles with my now 8 and 9 yo girls. They were great. My son would not take bottles at all. My oldest DD went with Avent for my almost 2 yo granddaughter and she had problems with them leaking. I wonder if they are making something different in the past few years because I never had a problem with them at all. I loved them.

almostamom
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
DS is 2 and we used Avent bottles for his first year. Ours didn't leak. I had been told to make sure I didn't over tighten them as that would cause them to leak.

HTH,
Linda

alexsmommy
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Make sure they're not over tightened. It's counter-intuitive not to screw the top on as tight as possible, but when you do it actually breaks the seal. That solved the problem for us once I read that suggestion.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

turtledove
03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Yep, once they started wasting my precious breastmilk (I could pump very little in the early days) I stopped using them. I don't blame you for being irritated!

JBaxter
03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
They always leaked for us. That is why I quite using them after a couple weeks w/ Nathan. I heard how wonderful they were... the pretty much sucked for me.

s7714
03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
We had problems with them leaking until we started following their instruction for preparing the nipple/cap assembly to the letter. It's been a while since I've done it, but I remember it being something along the lines of: 1) getting the rim of the nipple wet before inserting it into the ring, 2) placing the assembled nipple/ring flat on a counter and then pushing on the clear cap (creates some kind of air seal with the nipple or something), 3) putting the whole thing onto the bottle making very sure not to over tighten it...we went through several months of annoying leaks until one day DH decided to read one of the little inserts and discovered those instructions. They're were major PITB preparation, but we didn't have any more leaks after that.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
We never had problems with ours' but I have heard that about overtightening them too.

Beth

Marisa6826
03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Don't overtighten them. That's the big trick. Tighten them *just* enough to seal it and then STOP.

Practice with water in the bottle over the kitchen sink till you find the 'sweet spot'. Once you find it, you'll kick yourself over how deceptively easy it is.

Good luck

-m

gatorsmom
03-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd throw them away but I got a ton of them from a friend (brand-new, never used) and that's all I have for bottles.

I will try to not over tighten them. However, not sure that DH, who sometimes does bottle prep, will remember that. He's not very consistent about "following the house rules." (sigh)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

KBecks
03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
You've got to get the feel for them. Too tight, they leak. Not quite tight enough because you are avoiding overtightening, they leak. But once you get a feel for the sweet spot, you're golden.

Sorry about the messes, and good luck developing your touch.

KBecks
03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
don't tell, I would open and re-tighten the bottles my DH prepared sometimes just because I was paranoid about leaks.

robinsonbn
03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I have had that problem to, i usually check the bottle before I store it or give it to DS. Sometimes when the cap is screwed on it misses a bit or something. However, if u check a bottle and nothing leaks they are very secure and nothing will come out. It is a hasle to check them, but I really like them so i do it :)

jgriffin
03-16-2007, 05:14 PM
We had this problem sometimes with E. Most of the time it was overtightening the bottle (as numerous PPs have said). I did actually throw away a couple of bottles because they had become slightly warped (in the dishwasher, I guess) and just wouldn't give a good seal no matter what. I inspected the top of the bottles very carefully, and it was obvious that these particular bottles were a little off.

nicoleandjackson
03-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Our trick was to tighten them holding on to the clear cap only (not the nipple ring). When you tightened them enough that the cap started to twist and the nipple ring stayed put on the bottle, that was the perfect seal.

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

DrSally
03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
No, you're not the only one. I've heard of several other people having problems with leaking. I think there's a specific way of putting the top on--pressing not too hard or too softly, but firmly and with even pressure all around that is supposed to help??