PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed at our FREE Parenting Class...

bisous
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I knew that I was being ultra petty by complaining about something that is obviously overwhelmingly positive and again, FREE! I also fully intend to continue attending this class, since DS likes it so much.

I suppose that I am most irritated by the whole Parent Snack concept that was so rigid. I felt bad for my little guy, who really was not suffering in any conceivable way. At 3yo he doesn't know enough yet to feel different or left out when he isn't allowed to eat either the kid snack OR the parent snack.

The points you guys made about the kid snack really stuck to me as well. The teacher wasn't pleased that the parent chose to bring milk but I really think that that is a big improvement over juice. I'm kind of anti-juice but mainly because it is really just straight sugar and the one forbidden food for my diabetic son (except in the case of a hypoglycemic incident--in which case its like medicine!). It is unfortunate that DS is allergic to so many things but thankfully that is not the norm around here. I'll certainly be bringing my own snacks for him from now on. Incidentally, I am in charge of the Nursery at my church and I provide the snacks for the kids. We provide water to drink, fresh fruit, and some kind of healthy cracker. However, I'm fully aware that even these offerings won't suit every child with allergies. I suppose I'm being a little bit hypocritical.

I guess when it comes down to it, I just want to b**** to someone and I guess have someone see how hard it is with a diabetic child. The whole reason we attend the parenting class is because preschool is so prohibitive with my DSs illness. Life with a diabetic child is just really hard. Right now it is hard for me but what is even harder to accept is how hard it will be for him for the rest of his life. I just hate situations that make him feel different at such a young age. Sorry to opine but there it is. It sure feels good to come on here and complain, but sorry to take up so much space.

So all of my new friends in my new city have encouraged me to sign up for one of the local parenting classes through the community college which are free to local residents. It operates mainly as a preschool but in which the parents are always present. I thought that this might be a perfect option for our family as my DS is 3 but not potty-trained yet and also with his Diabetes there are all kinds of care and liability issues with drop-off care. After a couple of months of illness we attended our first class today and it was a bit of a letdown!

First, the class is listed as from 9:00 to 12:00 every Wed. I show up at 9:10 (running late because DS overslept!) only to find that we were the first to arrive! My initial relief in not ruining the flow of the class dissapated as I received no welcome from the teacher. Finally, she introduced herself to me only to say she needed to talk to me about the class and would do so shortly. Well, 45 minutes later she finally ambles over to talk about what the heck is going on. In the meantime, my DS has made himself completely at home but I have no idea what the rules are, what is going on, who anyone is, etc., etc. What an awkward 45 minutes. Fine, whatever.

Then, there's the whole snack portion of the class. Snacks are always tricky for us because my DS needs an insulin shot for pretty much anything he eats. Oh, and he has food allergies, too. So what is generally served for snack? Cheese and juice among other treats-both of which DS can't have. Today's snack? Whole milk, string cheese, blueberry muffins. DS is allergic to all three. The parent's also have a snack. They are eating strawberries, grapes, and coffee cake. DS can't eat any of the snack but he can have grapes. Oh, but he's not ALLOWED to have the parent snack. So he just watches everyone eat. I felt like the worst mother in the world for not having something for him to eat. He was a champ, though, and just went straight back to the toys.

There are over 20 children and their parents in the room. The teacher presents material appropriate for 3yos but isn't "great" with keeping the children's attention. Even I find myself distracted by the 40+ people in the room. I can hardly expect my 3yo to be able to concentrate.

I'm trying to be positive. DS didn't want to leave--he hardly spends time with any other children. The other mom's were nice. The philosophy is nice--the discussion topic was gentle discipline techniques for dealing with aggression. I think many of you would have liked the tactics the teacher presented. I think I was just really annoyed with the lack of welcome (which could be my own fault for showing up in the middle of the semester) and really the snack. I guess with all the discussions we have here about children's nutrition and allergies that the class would be a little more up-to-date with what to serve the kids, you know?

Anyway, thank you for letting me vent!

Jen

gatorsmom
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I can certainly understand your frustration with the lack of a welcome and especially with the fact that no one shows up on time. What's up with that?

However, as for the snack, I'd say that juice and cheese is actually pretty healthy for children without allergies. And they got the whole milk right, at least. And I'd be tickled pink if my parenting group had strawberries, grapes and coffee cake as a snack. Only sometimes does someone bring a bag of Pepperidge farms cookies. It sounds like your son is allergic to alot of food groups. It is sooo hard to plan for every allergy out there, believe me. Off the top of my head I know children who are allergic to gluten, soy, corn, dairy, eggs, nuts, strawberries and tomatoes. That rules out A LOT!. If I were you, just to avoid this problem in the future, I'd bring my own snack for DS and just explain to the teacher in advance the reason for the snack and that you DO NOT plan on sharing with all the children (that happened in my son's class once. A special alllergy snack couldn't be shared with all the children because there just wasn't enough!).

I'd say, if your son is happy, I'd stick it out. The fact that your son is getting something out of the class is the main thing, isn't it? Besides, IT"S FREE!!!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

KrisM
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I think it's odd that so many were late to the class. That one, and the lack of welcome, would bug me.

I don't personally have any problem with milk, cheese, and a muffin for a snack. Just curious - what types of snacks would you want them to have?

s_gosney
03-22-2007, 01:48 PM
I can certainly understand your frustration. It stinks when something we had high hopes for doesn't measure up. That is weird that so many people were so late, but hopefully you'll figure out the right amount of late to be soon. :) And, the lack of a welcome would bug me too.
As for the food, I agree that while I'm sure it must be very frustrating, if your ds has multiple allergies, I would just bring your own snack and explain why briefly and don't feel obligated to share. I do think that it's pretty bizarre that they wouldn't let him have some of the parent snack. What a strange thing to have such firm boundaries about. That part would have annoyed me too.
Anyway, I'm glad your ds had fun. If it's important to you that he get some chances to play with other children in a setup like this, I'd just try again and hope things improve as you learn more about the group's nuances. And even if it doesn't work out, there should be another option out there. Good luck to you. It's hard enough dealing with my dd's pickiness, and I certainly don't envy parent's dealing with food allergies along with typical toddler/preschooler things too.

kijip
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
What is getting me is that he is allergic to the kid's snack but can eat some of the parent's snack and that is not "allowed"? WTF? For crying out loud I don't think I could get my kid who loves grapes to stay away from them because they were the "parent snack" and he has no reason other than preference to pick them. I find it odd to have designated seperate parent and child snacks in the first place but if someone is allergic to something, it is a no brainer to make an exception to the rule.

niccig
03-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I go to a similar class. It starts at 9am and it's free play and craft activities until 10am. This is so if people are running late, they don't miss out on other activities. Most people are there by 9.30am. Sometimes we're on time, sometimes we're not. I like how it's structured, so if it's taken us a little longer to get out the door, I don't have to rush DS.

As for the snack, our class only gives crackers and water because of allergies, but some children could be allergic to those ingredients. I would do what others suggest. Explain to the teacher about the snack and bring your own. I don't get the 'no grapes' rule...that's just silly.

Marisa6826
03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Maybe the grapes were prohibited because they're a choking hazard? Just thinking 'out loud'...

-m

HannaAddict
03-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I am the parent who cuts grapes in half for my just turned three year old! I would have simply cut the grapes in half. I decide what my child is "allowed" to eat, especially in this situation. If the only option that my child could eat was the "parent snack" I would have no problem feeding it to him. If the teacher had a problem in that circumstance, then she is a dolt.

I hope you have a better experience next time! Bring your own snacks and hope your little guy has fun playing with some new friends. :)

Kimberly

Marisa6826
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I cut them too, especially after Masyn.

Hell, I still cut up Sophie's hotdogs and she's almost 4-1/2!

Other parents look at me like I'm some paranoid lunatic. Better safe than sorry...

-m