PDA

View Full Version : The Feminine Mistake

SAHMIL
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Hello, I caught an interview this morning with this woman Leslie Bennetts, who has authored a book called The Feminine Mistake. I was wondering what all of your thoughts were. Definitely interested in hearing all sides of the story here. Here's a link to an interview with her:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/mom/workfamily/0,,bfw4zv4p,00.html?par=today|pp

VClute
04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I watched the Today Show segment, too, but missed if this woman actually has children of her own. I can see where she's coming from - dropping out of the work force DOES reduce one's income and increases one's reliance on a husband/significant other. But I'm not sure one should go through life being so suspicious all the time - She seems to advocate never counting on a partner at all because then you'll end up impoverished!

I personally think the old-fashioned paradigm works well in a lot of cases. I'm glad that I COULD support us if necessary, but I'm equally glad that I don't have to right now. I also think that a lot of people live beyond their means regardless of the amount of income and who's earning it - and THAT is what is leading to women and families in financial trouble.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

Laurel
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Haven't read the book yet, but the media coverage is beyond annoying. It seems like more of this same either-or, work-stay at home dicotomy (sp). That isn't what is really happening in America. The majority moms work at least part time (some by choice, most out of financial necessity) and staying home for a few years while your kids are young is soooo different than leaving your career forever.

Mostly, I'm sick of the whole mommy vs. mommy "my choices are better than yours" thing.

How about we all work together to make rasing young childern easier (better preschool and day care options, longer maternity leave, support for part-time working parents, support for working nursing moms, etc), rather than call each other out on what we are doing wrong?

KBecks
04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Wasn't this topic just discussed in the Lounge a couple weeks ago?

SAHMIL
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't know if it was. I just saw it yesteday morning on the Today show. Having gone to the ivillage web site, it looks like some of the people who go to this message board have hit the iVillage web site too. (I'm just going on the tones of the voices of the emails) But for real, I agree with I believe it was Annabelle's mom who said we should work for common things such as longer maternity leaves. Did you know that in France, a woman is guaranteed a year off from work, same with Germany, and her old position back by law? In England and Canada, I believe it's 6 months. I know that there's concern about why women in the US don't breastfeed as much, and while we can blame marketing laws about formula samples, etc., I think that the existence of these laws about maternity leaves for extended periods of time also help a lot.

I will admit that I would like to find somehting where I can work from home. I am a teacher who was downsized out of a job due to budget cuts last year. If anyone has any good ideas, please let me know, just PM me. If you have any good web sites to refer me to which are legitimate, please PM me as well. I'm due next month, so probably this fall is when my head will be back together.

elizabethkott
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't know what grade level or subject you used to teach, but a friend of mine (pg in late May) was a high school art teacher who was also downsized last year. This year, she has been an evaluator/grader for the International Baccelaurate program. Schools with an IB program hire her to come in and evaluate the portfolios of their students. The main brunt of her work is done March-May, but it pays by the school. So far, she has already gone to 10 schools and has another 15 between now and May 15th. She spends a day at each school, going over the portfolios with the students and conducting the interviews...
It may be something you could look into...
Good luck!