PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of low-quality products. Where can I buy kids clothes that are U.S made?

gatorsmom
04-04-2007, 11:47 AM
As discussed in another thread, it's true that many of the clothing items we buy are not well made and are made overseas. One poster mentioned buying clothes through Brooks Brothers. Never thought of them! And I know about American Apparel.

Any other suggestions? Especially for kids clothes? If we are going to turn this trend of poorly-made expensive clothes around, it'll take one person at a time.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

newmomto3kids
04-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I have a question, and am being serious and not snarky. Why do they have to be US made? You can definitely get well made, affordable clothing from countries besides the US. What are you hoping to accomplish by buying US made products, over equally well-made products from other countries?
Again, I am really interested and am not intending to be rude at all.

egoldber
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree with the PP. IME, it isn't a US made vs non-US made issue. The problem is quality standards and those are set by the company selling the product not the factory making the product.

There are very few garments made in the US anymore, because the economics make it practically impossible for large scale clothing manufacturing to occur in the US and for the selling companies to be profitable. My DH has a closet full of expensive BB clothes for work and none of it is made in the US.

writermama
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
You'd also get the feel-good effect of supporting other moms and their home-businesses. Though I couldn't imagine buying a whole wardrobe this way, it might be possible, and certainly possible to get some wonderful pieces. Quality and cost may vary widely, though.

C99
04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
>I agree with the PP. IME, it isn't a US made vs non-US made
>issue. The problem is quality standards and those are set by
>the company selling the product not the factory making the
>product.
>
>There are very few garments made in the US anymore, because
>the economics make it practically impossible for large scale
>clothing manufacturing to occur in the US and for the selling
>companies to be profitable. My DH has a closet full of
>expensive BB clothes for work and none of it is made in the
>US.

I actually agree with this. The reference to BB was tongue-in-cheek, because so very little of their stuff is made in the U.S. anymore. Did you know that they are exceedingly popular with/in the Japanese market?

Generally speaking, I think it is extraordinarily expensive to outfit your child in clothes that are made to high-quality standards in the Western world. Both cottage-industry U.S. brands like Green Bee and European-made brands like Catamini and Jacadi are super, super expensive.

gatorsmom
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
They don't have to be American made. That was just a starting point. But, then, who do you suggest we buy from? If not just the U.S., then who else? Do you know of any countries, regions, areas of the world where we can find consistently-good quality products?
Do you know of any brands that I can buy from that are dependable?

I wasn't trying to start any ethical or philosophical discussion. So as not to offend anyone's sensitivities, I edited the title. I just want to know where to buy CONSISTENLY GOOD QUALITY PRODUCTS.

Anyone? anyone?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

gatorsmom
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
excellend suggestion!!!
Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

newmomto3kids
04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry, didn't see your reply :)
I like a range of clothes. Some better quality than others, but all of an acceptable quality to price ratio in my opinion.
I would head over to Reality Layette for some ideas, but here are some of my favorites:
Mini Boden
Naartjie
Jacadi
Deux par Deux
April Cornell
Corky & Co. (coats)
Umi, Bopy, Aster, Braqueez (shoes)
Baby Style
Flapdoodles

Can't think of specifics anymore...I search online for clothing styles that I like and then scour boutiques, ebay, resales for them.
Head over to RL, you will find what you are looking for, especially if you don't mind spending the money :)

bunnisa
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I mainly buy high-quality used or new clothing at resale shops and on Ebay.

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

ECMom
04-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Lands End and LL Bean. They guarantee their items forever. I've only had one issue and that was with a Lands End sheet set. I returned it for a full refund with no hassle - after using it regularly for 9 months.

kim_d
04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Chez Ami makes all their clothing in the US.

Kim

sadie427
04-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't found American Apparel to be particularly well made. I had a lot of shirt hems come undone, and had the grommet come off some of the pants. Some things have been fine though, including a sweatshirt I bought for DS. And there's the issue of the photos of practically naked women in suggestive poses in the stores, not really thrilled about bringing DS in there. I do like that they are made in the US and pay the workers well, but I don't love the product.

bunnisa
04-08-2007, 08:36 PM
>Unfortunately, I haven't found American Apparel to be
>particularly well made. I had a lot of shirt hems come
>undone, and had the grommet come off some of the pants. Some
>things have been fine though, including a sweatshirt I bought
>for DS. And there's the issue of the photos of practically
>naked women in suggestive poses in the stores, not really
>thrilled about bringing DS in there. I do like that they are
>made in the US and pay the workers well, but I don't love the
>product.

ITA.

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

emmiem
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Hanna Andersson
Talbots Kids
Miniboden
Gap
Tea Collection
Baby Lulu
Zutano

Michele

roysmom
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I love Chaps and Polo, by Ralph Lauren. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but I have a pair of Khaki shorts my DS wears that have gone through 3 other little boys and they still look brand new.

I catch them on sale at Parisian or Belk's. Usually they are marked 25% off and then I try to go on Customer Appreciation Day and get an extra 20% off. If you wash the shirts in cold water, they hardly even fade.

I also like Old Navy for jeans and jean shorts. They seem to hold up to most anything. I have given up on buying American made anything. I try to find it, but most things aren't even made over here anymore. Now, I just look for quality.