PDA

View Full Version : How do you not know where your kid is at 1 am?!? (long)

katiesmommy
04-14-2007, 10:54 AM
So, this is a summary of how our night went.

At 1:00 DH and I awoke to the cries of a child calling out for his "mommy" and "daddy." At first we was irritated. DH has to get up at 5:00, who the hell lets their kid scream at the top of their lungs this late? We look out the window and there is a little bare-foot boy in tears searching for his mom and dad. DH throws on a shirt and runs down stairs. The weather is 49 degrees, but with the rain and wet ground it feels much lower. I'm cold; shivering, and so was this child. DH approachs gently, but keep his distance. As nonthreatening as he can be he gives him his name and asks, "Are you lost?"

"Yes."

The boy, still searching, still crying, still wandering, still scared, and still lost, continues to call out for his "mommy" and "daddy." DH asks, "Would it be alright if I help you?"

"Yes."

He approachs slowly and unimposing. He offer out his hand the same way he would offer it to our child. He takes it and they walk up the driveway. We ask him where he lives.

"Hawaii."

This is going to be a long night. I walk out with the phone and we sit the boy on our porch. I give him a blanket and we explain to him that we were going to get a police officer to help us find his "mommy" and "daddy." DH ask him his first and last name, he gives it, but we cannot understand it. A long cultural Hawaiian name. We wait for the police and we ask him how old he was.

"Four."

We ask him how he got outside.

"I was playing with my friends and they went inside."

"Oh, so they were called in and you kinda got left behind?"

"Yes."

My God, this kid has been wandering around for hours. The police arrive and he is not frightened of them. At first we thought he was unafraid because of my explanation, but then one of the military policemen said, "I think I know this kid. Remember that domestic call we got a while back, I think this is the kid." This is not the first time the boy has been around military police. The MA asks if we could stay up for a little while because he would return. DH agrees. About 1:30-ish another MA returns to my door. Things have gone from bad to worse. Dad's out, mom didn't even notice he was missing, stories aren't syncing. We are informed that this whole thing is going to snowball. DH is asked to write up a statement. The kid is safe for now in the custody of a caring neighbor. I don't know what was found, I don't know what is coming, and I don't know if I care to know. I just want that child to be safe.

There's no excuse for this crap. How do you possibly not notice that your 4 year old didn't come home today, that you didn't put him to bed. What kind of person just doesn't notice all that stuff. This is crazy, I just hope that kid is okay.

Sillygirl
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
OMG, I am bawling. Thank god you heard him, he could have died of exposure.

jniter
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
:( :( :( :( :(

I think the saddest thing is that the child still is dependent on the parents, still looks for them, and still wants them and loves despite their lack of attention. This just shows you how forgiving and loving children are.

The child needs a loving home NOW before that changes!!!!!

ellies mom
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
You know, at first I was thinking that maybe the kid got up and went for a walk and the parents didn't realize the kid had gotten out. I have friends with escape artist kids so I could see that. Of course it would only happen once before I put locks up at the top of the door (hopefully not at 1am though).

But then your story went on... To not notice that you hadn't put your child to bed? To not notice that your four year old hadn't come home or to not care? I don't get that. What a horrible story. That poor child.

bubbaray
04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
OMG, how horrible. That child deserves better!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

AngelaS
04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow, how sad! And the details you learned later make it even sadder!

Once a year or so ago, I found a 3 yo walking the street at 6:15 am. Her parents didn't know that she'd left the house. They are good parents, but she just opened the door and left, so that DOES happen! She was 3 blocks from home when I found her.

kozachka
04-14-2007, 02:40 PM
OMG, poor thing :(. Makes me want to kick his parents in you know what. A-r-g-h!

hez
04-14-2007, 05:38 PM
There is no excuse, you're right.

I'm glad you were there for him when he needed someone to care.

elizabethkott
04-14-2007, 08:39 PM
How horrifying. Thank god you found that poor child, and that he is staying with someone trustworthy for the time being. I don't even want to think about what could have happened to that little boy.
Can anyone say "manditory parenting classes issued by the court"? I mean, at the very least.
Yiesh. Some people.

KrisM
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
That's the same thing I was thinking, too.

I cannot understand how this could happen. How horrible for that child. I am so glad you and your DH were there for him.

deborah_r
04-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh my, that is so, so sad. My heart breaks thinking about it.

Not that DH and I are the super-parents of the universe, but I swear we freak out if one of us hasn't seen/heard him for 2 minutes in our one-story, one bedroom apartment! I can't imagine not realizing your 4 year old has not come home!!!

kijip
04-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Thank goodness you heard him and helped him. I hope he is found a better home.

DrSally
04-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh that poor boy!! I truly hope he will be safe from now on, now that the authorities are on it.

robinsonbn
04-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Omg that poor poor child! People like that should not be parents....wow..please keep us informed...hopefully he will be ok...just wow.

katiesmommy
04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
On our way home today we saw the little boy out playing with the two other boys that live right across the street from us. It appears that he's still staying with them, though I'm not completly certain of that. But he seemed to be doing fine, having a good time and all. Hopefully he'll be fine.

denna
04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
This is just awful! How sad! Thank goodness you and your Dh were there for him. At first I thought that lil guy just wandered out of his house but guess not. What horrible, awful parents!

I hope this lil guy finds a loving home soon.

cstack
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, Abused and neglected children just don't know there's any other life out there and that this is not how everyone lives.

cstack
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
>
>But then your story went on... To not notice that you hadn't
>put your child to bed? To not notice that your four year old
>hadn't come home or to not care? I don't get that. What a
>horrible story. That poor child.

So many things. Drugs (illegal and legal), alcohol, mental illness, Mom being ill and assuming (yeah, I know what they say) that Dad is taking care of the kids and then Dad goes out and parties and doesn't care. Too many things.

Fairy
04-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Ick, ugh, horrifying. Poor little boy. Sending him a virtual hug.