PDA

View Full Version : potty training stinks. literally.

Lynnie
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
"mommy, I poo poo'd in my underwear."

I thought if I didn't make the mistake of trying to early, like I did with DS1, it would be easier.

Kid is going to college in diapers. whatever. grrrr

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I feel ya. We waited until dd was over 3 years old to pt and we still had a couple of accidents. One of them was a bm in her panties at target. Thank god for the private bathroom next to the pharmacy! Boy was that a fun night.
This morning I woke up to dd telling me she'd "piddled". In OUR bed. GRRRR. Hope it all clicks together soon for your dc.
Just remember all these stories so you can tell you children them when they're potty training your grandchildren.:-)

SummerBaby
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I feel for you. Mine is also going to college in diapers. Mine won't even take her diaper off to sit on the potty. I keep waiting and she just has NO interest. Ugh.

Wife_and_mommy
04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
nak

i'm w/ you. i think you're mighty brave to go out of the house w/out dipes.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

scoop22
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
i dread this time.. i told dh it is his task.. ha ha.. i hope your experience gets better!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

Lynnie
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
no, no, no - isn't someone going to just chime in and give me (well, us, it looks like) a magic trick that will make it happen ??

bribes don't work. picking out his own big boy underwear doesn't work. sitting him on the potty every so often doesn't work. he does pee pee at school, but rarely at home.

i posted in the baby 411 folder on this kind of thing - I think it was called the scoop on poop (?) but don't expect any answers since there's been no traffic there since 1975 or so.

Momof3Labs
04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Wait?

DS1 was 3y8m when he trained, and it took less than a week to kick the diapers completely (except at nighttime) with only rare accidents. I truly believe that even 3yo is too early for some kids (boys in particular).

Lynnie
04-16-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah, that's what I was kindof concluding. I don't want to traumatize the kid, or turn it into a power struggle.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading a million books on this. If the teacher says anything I'll tell her I am following DS's lead. (and am tired of soaking/scrubbing/and-or/tossing underwear !

lmintzer
04-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Yep, another family of late potty trainers here. DS#1 PTd at over 4 (partially due to some GI issues). But when he decided to do it, it literally took a day or two.

DS#2 is 3 years and 5 months. He isn't particularly interested. He asks to "poop on the potty" (which to him just means sitting there) as a stalling technique before bed. Otherwise--not so much. The diaper is just fine.

I'm not worried. I stress about other things but not this one.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
DD potty trained at 3 yrs 7months. We still wear pull ups at nap and bedtime. Pedi said not to push at all, that that was the big thing. So we let her go at her own pace. I must say that starting preschool was the big motivator. She started "modeling" almost as soon as she started going to school but it took almost 8 months until she was pt'd.
Pedi said their almost 5 year old ds was still withholding, a complete power thing. For us, as soon as we stopped the bribes,the special panties and everything else and just relaxed and let her do it when she noticed that she needed to it started to click.
The other biggie was that in the summer I just let her run around naked for the better part of a couple weeks so she could get to the potty instantly. It worked really well for peeing. Pooping was a completly differant matter and took more time.
Biggest thing I can say is , don't even try before 3 yo. After that let your dc direct it. HTH

HannaAddict
04-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Don't worry about it for now. Our ped said only half of boys are potty trained at 3.5 years. None of the little boys from three to three and a half are potty trained. But the little girls of the same age are done or in the process. I would just wait a bit and try again. That's our plan. My son turned three in March and has asked to sit on the potty and been productive a couple of times, but also says "no thanks" when we ask if he wants to go and says he likes his diapers. :)

Kimberly

HIU8
04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
DS is only 2.5 and shows some interest in using the potty (sometimes with the diaper on and sometimes with it off). DH and I don't push it, since he is sort of young. Last night he told me he wanted to use the potty with his diaper on. I thought he pooped (sure smelled that way). He even told me he did. Turned out he sat on the potty in his diaper to pass gas. At least it's a start.

My mother keeps telling him if he uses the potty she will buy him spiderman underwear. I have asked her to stop pushing this. She tried to pottytrain myself and my brother at 18 months (my brother is kinda screwed up and I bet it's from this). If she says it to him again I'm going to pounce on her. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD 6/22/07

clc053103
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
My mom's cousin was potty trained at 9 months. SEriously. My mom's aunt hated changing diapers. I can't even get my 21 mo old DS to acknowledge when he's going- it's always a surprise!

HHCs Mom
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say to wait a little longer. DS had been saying for 6 months that he'd wear big boy underwear when he turned 3. We just said ok and didn't think much about it. He turned 3 two weeks ago and ON HIS BIRTHDAY woke up and told me as I was removing his night time diaper that he wanted to wear underwear. Um, ok. We did the PT'ing thing for a week and he put not one SINGLE DROP of anything into the potty. He wore underwear, not pull ups, for a week and had a few accidents. Nothing terrible since we discovered he can hold it all morning long until he gets his pull up on for naptime -- then he pees like crazy! The holding it worried me so after a week of doing nothing on the potty despite sitting every hour, I told him we were going back to diapers and when he was *really* ready to start using the potty, we could go to underwear. Guess who started using the potty that night? We backed off, even though we weren't pressuring him at all, and he decided to do it. Now he's backed off some but is learning what it feels like when he needs to go. He's used the potty several times on his own by recognizing the need to go so we're on our way at least. Only once has it been suggested that he go and as a result he's actually done something. The rest of the times he recognizes the need and goes on his own.

It'll happen and diapers are SO, SO much easier, IMO! ;) Of course, I'm 35 weeks pregnant and am not in the mood right now to potty train so I was a little hesistant to start at this point but if the kid wants to do it, I'm not standing in his way. At least if he regresses after his brother arrives we won't have to start 100% from scratch.

Food and potty training are two things that kids can control 100%. Not worth the struggle, especially with the PT'ing, IMO. We have friends who pushed their DS into PT'ing too early and he's just now gotten consistent. I think it took about 9 months for their DS to stop having daily accidents. He was holding it and then having accidents on purpose. Kid was showing his parents who was in charge. :)

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
...and baby boy #2 due 5.24.07!

Lynnie
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
yeah, my guy is the one who likes to show who is in charge too. I have backed off, and he wears pull ups. At school, he wears the same one all day and goes in the potty. I think its cause the toilets are kid sized and all the other kids do it. Am not sure if he does more than pees there, though.
Diapers are easier. One of the teachers and a friend kindof told me to start at three, and another friend was able to train her DC in a weekend. I was not, and don't want to make it an issue.

BTW, Kim -when is Harrison's birthday ? My guy just turned 3 on April 8. (and we almost named him that !)

gatorsmom
04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
It does stink. it really does. DS#1 is just finally potty trained now at 3yrs8mos.

Just wanted to offer some suggestions. Maybe some of these will work when you are ready to try again. Try offering m&ms when he pees in the potty. Maybe a cookie when he goes poopoo.

Also, when he wets or poos in his pants, don't change him immediately. He will hate the yucky sensation. That worked wonders for my son. He'd continually wet his pants and I just changed him immediately. When I let him hangout in wet clothes for awhile, he didn't have as many accidents.

Do a special celebration dance every time he goes poo poo in the potty. Withhold hugs and kisses (and negative remarks) when he messes his underwear. Just let him know you aren't happy.

hmm, can't think of anything else right now. HTH!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

HHCs Mom
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Harrison's birthday is April 6, so just 2 days before your DS's birthday. :) We both have Easter babies and you *really* had an Easter baby this year! :D (that is if you celebrate Easter... ;) )
Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
...and baby boy #2 due 5.24.07!