PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* i feel fat.

megs4413
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
i struggled with this a lot PP after DD was born and it's hitting me again. the problem this time is that i'm bfing and i think my calorie counting is costing me my supply. i exclusively pump so i can see my output...i've been on a diet for 8 days (had to because of a suspected milk protein intolerance) and was doing about 1800 cals a day tops. i went from 24oz/day of output to today only getting 9....bad bad bad....but i'm having trouble making myself eat anything. it didnt help that my pp checkup was today and so they weighed me. i f'ing put on 3lbs! i'm so frustrated. i knew i was putting on weight which is kinda why i started freaking out, but i'm so hungry all the time from bfing! i'm making better choices now, but good LORD! how am i ever going to lose weight eating all the damn day?

why can't i do this for my son? he deserves the BM...why can't i just be fat? it was OK while i was preggo...i've never been skinny, but somehow when i'm PP i feel like i need to immediately bounce back. like how the hell did britney spear DO IT? i dont have time to work out! and apparently that could damage my supply as well....someone make this stupid calorie counting freak pop right back out of my head! i'm hungry!

C99
04-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I remember going through a period of time post-partum w/ DS when I Just Did Not Want to Eat. It didn't have much to do with feeling fat though -- just didn't feel hungry and nothing sounded good.

If you want to lose weight while breastfeeding and still produce good milk for your kiddo, focus on eating a lot of protein.

tylersmama
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Yep, I remember that not wanting to eat phase. Wow, was that weird for me. :)

Megs, I don't really have any advice for you, but just wanted to tell you what a wonderful thing you are doing for your DS. Keep doing the best you can, that's all you can do!

p.s. I *still* feel fat and I've been back to my pre-pregnancy weight for about a month now. Somehow I'm still a size bigger than I used to be. Sigh.

kijip
04-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Brittney was, I'll go out on limb here and say, *not* bf, or eating and had a nanny and a personal trainer. While I'll take the personal trainer and sometimes think a nanny would be great, I can do without the starvation diet and skipping breastfeeding.

You can do it. Drink lots of water, eat lots of protein. You may very well need more than

You are not fat. You are a gorgeous mother.

Sillygirl
04-18-2007, 07:02 AM
>Brittney was, I'll go out on limb here and say, *not* bf, or
>eating and had a nanny and a personal trainer.

Not to mention a houseful of crystal meth. Ahem. I mean, theoretically.

o_mom
04-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Have they ever checked your thyroid function? Hypothyroidism is common in PP women and can really mess with weight.

megs4413
04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
i think this is part of it since i do have thyroid disease and i am having other symptoms of low thyroid..problem is...i don't have time to get a blood test...

Momof3Labs
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
You probably put on 3lbs because your body knows that you are nursing and knows that you need the weight right now! I've known many, many bf'ing moms who canNOT drop the last 5-10lbs while nursing, no matter how much they diet or exercise. Then once they wean, it drops right off. Your body knows what you need, and you need to give it some room to do what it knows how to do!

newnana
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Hang in there! Don't have time for a blood test? Bring 'em over! The girls can play! You can go get some mommy time to yourself. I now live near some great shopping, so you can go get yourself an outfit that you feel great in as well. Look better, feel better!

Hang in there, we're pulling for you,
Michelle

elizabethkott
04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Please please please go get the blood test! If you are Hypothyroid, they will put you on meds and you will begin to feel better! There is no other explainable reason (that I know of) for you to gain 3lbs while bf-ing and dieting except for a thyroid issue.
I'm going through post-partum thyroiditis myself, and waiting for the bloodwork to say that I've gone from hyper to full hypo (pita to wait!) so I can go on the meds myself. But it's a definate possibility, so please check it out!!!!!
Hope it all works out for you...

o_mom
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Please try and get it soon! I'm surprised the OB didn't do a check at the 6 wk pp visit. My endo has me lowering the dose immediately after delivery and then checking in 6 weeks.

Whoever is treating your thyroid (OB, family doc, Endocrinologist, etc.) should be able to get you an order for a blood draw and you can just go to the lab whenever. It doesn't require an office visit.

kijip
04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
True dat! No diet plan like meth!

deenass
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Megs -

PLEASE give yourself a break - you JUST had a baby 9and I can say that because I did too!) You need to eat - you are hungry for a REASON! You are still feeding TWO people - I'm not syaing that means that you can (or should) eat twinkies all day long, but you DO NOT need to calorie count right now. At least give yourself a few months. Taking care of two babies IS HARD!!!!!!!!!!! You need to eat!

lisams
04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I understand! Please, please try to be gentle on yourself. There will be time to work out and time to plan meals around a diet, but right now you have a very young infant and your body is still recovering. I know some women have body shapes that allow them to bounce back right away to their pre-pregnancy body, but that's not typical.

For me, it helped to start planning what and when I want to start getting serious. I'm giving myself 3 months. Right now, my energy is pretty much all going towards DD and DS. Knowing that in the near future I have plans to get back to the gym and focus more on myself helps me feel better. For now I bought some clothes that fit nicely, got a haircut and have been focussing on my mental health (which means not stressing about the baby weight!) Sometimes I don't really realize it, but I need to get away and out of the house by myself. Just that time really helps me regroup.

Hang in there!

fortato
04-18-2007, 11:07 PM
We already talked about it, but I wanted to send you more hugs and support.

Take Michelle up on her offer...

Take care
We'll be thinking of you...

bisous
04-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Megs,

I just wanted to say that you don't need to aspire to Britney Spears. I'm sure that you are beautiful. There is so much room in this world for beautiful and I can't think of anything better in the whole world than a mother that does so much for her children. Really, while you might be a little bigger than you were pre-baby, I bet the rosy glow more than makes up for a few extra pounds. I think a reasonable goal for "bouncing back" is at least the nine months it takes to gain all the weight. Heck, I'm even comfortable with a year! I'm not convinced that tiny and skinny is everyone's most attractive look and I think that extra pounds on a new mom can be absolutely gorgeous! Oh and I can speak with some authority as I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy!

Now as for not feeling great I think that the thyroid thing and the lack of sleep thing are probably taking a major toll on your body. I hope that you can find a way to get your thyroid checked out. As far as sleep, I'm not sure what to tell you--only that I hope, hope, hope that you are able to squeeze in a few winks every now and then throughout the day.

Hugs!

Jen

denna
04-19-2007, 03:42 AM
>>Brittney was, I'll go out on limb here and say, *not* bf,
>or
>>eating and had a nanny and a personal trainer.
>
>Not to mention a houseful of crystal meth. Ahem. I mean,
>theoretically.

LoL I was just about to reply the same thing!

Megs, you are not fat. I have seen pictures! You are truly gorgeous. I know it doesnt help for others to tell you you arent fat b/c that doesnt change what you think of yourself. But you truly are not fat I will not 'sugar coat' it for you. If you were fat and wanted me to be honest then I would tell you....but you are not! Really.

You are doing a great thing for JJ and can get your supply back. Take the advice of these mamas and eat more protein and defintely keep hydrated. There are ZERO calories in water...so guzzle it down :).

If you need ideas for low fat protein dishes let me know. There are also low fat protein drinks out there that *should* be able to help your supply.

Let me know if you want the info. I'll email it all to you!

((hugs))