PDA

View Full Version : feeling terribly guilty - worst mom of the year

Nicsmom
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Last night DS (2 yrs old) pooped while taking a bath. Needless to say, it was messy and not pleasant.

Today I was dropping him in daycare and of the teachers said all the kids would go potty in 5 minutes. And, stupidly, I decided to tell him and the other teacher about yesterday's incident not keeping in mind that all the kids were sitting there (they were about to start "circle time"), silently paying attention to our conversation. DS was also listening to what I said.

I feel horrible that I humiliated DS in front of his friends and it breaks my heart that these kids might pick on him because of what happened to him yesterday. What kind of mom am I? What was I thinking? I was talking as if he was still a baby and could not understand what I was saying, but lately I have noticed that he does understand most of what I say - if not everything. And of course, his friends understand too. I can only hope that for kids their age potty matters are not a big deal and that DS will not feel embarrassed for what I said.

Anyway, I am feeling very very guilty.

Ana

KBecks
04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
FWIW, I don't think kids 2 years old are quite developed to tease the way as say, 1st graders do. So, I imagine the embarassment was momentary and he won't be scarred for life. At least you will now be sensitive to this for the future.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

jesseandgrace
04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree with kbecks, the two year old might have heard you, but most probably thought "good idea" :).

billysmommy
04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. They probably did hear but I'm sure they were thinking it sounded cool :)

Billy pooped in the bath a couple months ago (he's fully potty trained) and couldn't wait to go to school and tell his friends about it :) :) so your son is probably the "cool kid" at school now :)

deborah_r
04-20-2007, 08:22 PM
>I agree with kbecks, the two year old might have heard you,
>but most probably thought "good idea" :).

Agreed. I don't think they find these things embarrassing like we do! My almost 4 year old just asked if it would be a good idea to dip french fries in his butt (he was fascinated that DH was dipping them in chili instead of ketchup, and proceeded to rattle off a list of other things to dip them in, one being his butt.)

Jenn98
04-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Would not worry about that! At two they really don't have the concept of picking on each other down yet. Sure, they'll steal toys from each other, but not making fun of each other. But probably a good idea to not talk about him in front of him any more ;)

Aunt to sweet baby boy
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I work in an after school program at a private school and i have some siblings in my group. I have a 6 year old boy and his three year old brother. The older boy came to me last week and was telling me how his brother went to the bathroom while they were in the bath last week and all about his bodily movements. He was also very excited to tell me how his brother went to the bathroom in the toilet later on that day.

Don't worry, your ds is only 2, i think you have many more times to embarrass him during the upcoming years :-).

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

Nicsmom
04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Thank you all so much. Not only you made me feel a lot better but you made me laugh a lot. Your stories are hilarious!!! Sometimes I overanalyze things and, as you all said, kids see potty matters very diferently from adults. Thanks again.