PDA

View Full Version : I really do love my SIL, but...

sidmand
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
My SIL is six years younger...not a huge deal, but she doesn't have kids (although she absolutely loves them), but I can't even count the number of times she's flaked out on me and DS!!!!

Most of the times don't matter that much. A couple of times it was for babysitting, but DH and I had nothing important to do, we were just hoping for a night out. And it's great that she'd want to spend time with DS, but don't say yes if you don't mean it! Luckily DS is too little and/or doesn't even realize when she's (supposed to be) coming. And I don't tell him anyway.

But one time we planned our entire vacation around her because she said she could sit for DS at a certain point and then it turned out she couldn't. Today she was supposed to spend the whole afternoon with us. I hadn't heard from her about a specific time, so I called late this morning...I just got an e-mail that she felt naseous, lay down, and must have fallen asleep!

She was laid off in December and asked when we could hang out. I have things for us to do (or a sitter) on every day but Mondays and Thursdays and told her that. She was supposed to come on a Thursday a little while ago, but then said that was the only day she could get her car looked at, so she had to cancel. WTH!? I know better than to look forward to her coming (and I do look forward to it, as much as it might not sound like it at the moment!) and just take it for whatever it is. I'm not one to get my hopes up anyway, but I would have planned something for us to do to take up the day rather than hang around in case she might come--YKWIM? With a two-year-old, we need things to do!

Okay, I let it all out. I feel better. Don't really need any advice. I know to take what she says with a grain of salt and not make any life important plans based on her being here. I just keep thinking it'll change and I know better!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

blueeyedb
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
My sister is the same way and it drives me crazy. The other day, she was over an hour late to meet me to go out for the morning, so we ended up not going at all. We had the option of doing something with our playgroup that morning, but skipped it to hang out with her.
Anyway, I feel your pain and it makes me mad too!

ShanaMama
05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I have the exact same situation with my SIL but she's just out of high school! She'll agree to babysit for me... til her friends make plans she doesn't want to miss out on. I chalk it up to age & irresponsibility- not realizing that I'm really counting on her.
She also won't take $$ for babysitting, so I think it's less of a commitment to her. If I have an important appointment or something I can't rearrange I prefer to book someone else that I'll pay. This way I know they won't stand me up.
DD does love when her aunt comes, so I've also stopped telling her until she is actually on her way here. Otherwise it's just a disappointment.