PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how you single moms do it!!!

JoyNChrist
05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
In preparation for our move to Colorado (no, we still don't have a date yet), DH is working long hours at his company's New Orleans office (about 3 hours from home). So he's staying there during the week and coming home on weekends.

He's only been gone 2 days, and I'm already about to lose it! I didn't realize how much I depended on the hour or so of freedom I got when he got home from work in the afternoons.

I already have so much more respect for you single moms out there!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Me too! DH has been working long hours and not coming home until long after DD is asleep so it's me and her all day long. I've been struggling for a month now but I know that I only have a month left. I don't know how single parents do it but I am really impressed and have the utmost respect for them!

chlobo
05-22-2007, 06:54 AM
My DH was away last week so I feel for you.

What I found helped was to plan some special outings - going out to dinner together (early), having a beloved friend visit at dinnertime when I'm especially at wits end, go someplace new or not usual like the aquarium, playdates.

Snugglibumkins
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Awww...it is tough. I'll be on my own with the kids from January 2008-June-ish 2009. (my husband is in the military). I plan on moving back to our hometown near friends and family and hiring a mother's helper to come in two days a week just for freedom!!

Hang in there. Remember to take some time for Mommy. Usually when I am alone with the kids for weeks at a time - I designate Friday night as Mommy's night - we eat out (early bird around 5pm), the kids go to bed by 7:30 and I take a nice warm bath, do my toes, and spend time doing something fun just for me.

cvanbrunt
05-22-2007, 12:37 PM
No kidding! I was saying this to my collegues yesterday. DH is out of town for a lousy three days and I'm exhausted. DD woke up at 6:30 and from that moment on I got myself ready for work and her ready for daycare. We didn't leave the house until 9am! I can't imagine what sacrifices single parents must make everyday. I'm beginning to feel a little guilty because in January I'm leaving DH home for two weeks alone with DD and #2 who will be about 3 months old .

Jenn98
05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Make sure you get out of the house at least once a day. Even if you have to drive to the park and sit in the grass for 20 minutes. Believe me, it makes a world of difference! Don't get stuck in the rut of being home alone all day every day - you'll go crazy.

scoop22
05-22-2007, 08:58 PM
i hear you!!! single parents have my respect as well. dh is gone alot during the summers. i dread every minute of it. i was just saying to some people today about being a single mother at times and how i give them all the credit in the world!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVE!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mommy111
05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Single parents and SAHMs...I don't know how you keep your sanity! Hang in there Stacy! And good luck with the move!

JustMe
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Good look on your move.

A fellow single parent I know says that there are no single parents, only double parents!

Robyn

Melanie
05-24-2007, 12:49 AM
With a 2 month old that has GOT to be rough. My sympathies. I hope you love Colorado.

kijip
05-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah, I am in utter amazement of the single mothers in my life.

Just being able to have a break for 10 minutes is so important and while it does not seem like much when that is what you have, it seems like everything when it is not an option. I can hardly complain because my spouse is hands on and I have family nearby.

Good luck on your move. That is big. I hope you enjoy it and you get some support once your their (friends, playgroups etc). Where in Colorado will you be? Denver?

JoyNChrist
05-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks.

We'll be in the Denver area, but I'm not sure where exactly yet. It could be up to an hour away from Denver in any direction, which is quite a bit of area. We'll see...it's hard not having specifics.

Things are getting better here - DH had a 4 day weekend, so he was home lots and we even got some time for just the two of us (DS stayed at my mom's for half of Saturday). And I made friends with our neighbor who is totally cool with coming over to watch DS while he's napping or whatever so I can get out of the house.