PDA

View Full Version : Yeah so my kid's normal and yours isn't

SpaceGal
05-23-2007, 12:14 AM
So it's been a really rough month for me, for every week this month I've had bad things happen.

First week, my grandma passed away, the next week, I had a D&C done because my OB found placental tissue in my uterus that my body never got rid of after the birth of DS#2, then last week DS#1 caused a big accident resulting in me falling off a few steps and bruising my tailbone.

But I'm not actually bothered too much about these things...more so that when I was telling a friend of mine about my accident I got that condensending tone from my friend. Long story short, DS#1 was outside playing and started to act up...he's two and well there's been a lot going on, new baby, the summer's here and heck he's got cabin fever being couped up most days since we're not out and about as much as we used to be. Well once he began his temper tantrum, I told him he's got to go inside if he can't behave, so of course he doesn't want to so I pick him up and bring him inside, as I do, he kicks the door before I could open it making me fall back on my butt.

When I told her this story I was like yeah oh well just the normal 2 year old terrible twos. She was like wow he's crazy and you could tell she's thinking I have like a devil child or something. So I ask her, how her two year old is and she tells me he's not like that at all, he listens and behaves all the time and has never thrown a tantrum. UGH!! PLEASE!! Spare me that crap. Seriously I never thought her two year was normal. Yes he's a good kid but a bit oddly too quiet and introverted. But you don't need to make me feel like I have the devil's child. DS#1 is pretty normal and I would say 60-70% of the time is good and listens...but there's that 30-40% where he's not that great. Most kids I know are like this...nothing like my friend's son...it just pissed me off so much that she gave me that whole oh man he's nuts and gave me that oh my son is an angel tone.

I know i'm probably not in the best of moods these days since my butt is in serious pain and will be for the next two months or so...but geez...tell me I'm not the only one to feel lik I can't stand those moms that have the abnormally well behaved children but make you feel like you're sore out of luck with your devil child.

Oh well I just needed to vent...thank you for listening I feel tons better now.

kcandz
05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Oh I'm right there with you! The look I get is not just that I am way out of luck with a devil child, but that I caused my devil child with my crappy parenting. I have a classic "spirited child", and have weathered many skeptical and judgemental looks, not to mention subtle but catty comments from other mothers who just think I'm not strict enough/don't attachment parent enough. These same mothers gush over the amazingness of their kid and conveniently don't notice them writing on walls, freaking out without a cookie, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe your friend's kid is developmentally behind yours - so your DS will be in an angel phase and hers will kick into high gear devilness! ;)

Momof3Labs
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Karma. Her kid may be easy now, but he'll get even with her. When you get upset with her, just sit back and dream about how the teenage years will be for her, as he makes up for all of his angelic younger years...

DebbieJ
05-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I hear ya!

My most proud moment as a parent was the day my former day care director and preschool teacher sister called me to tell me how exasperated she was with her 18 mo dd. She used to love dispensing advice and passing judgement on my parenting when ds would act up and then it came back and bit her in the a$$. :)

So maybe the best is yet to come for her. :):)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

JustMe
05-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Sorry you are having a tough month.

People say such stupid things... I think most parents do have those moments with their children when they regret things they have said or even judgements they have made about other parents.

Robyn

Laurel
05-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I hope this won't be seen as a hijack, but I am so there with you. There is a mom in a playgroup we go to who as an extremely introverted (very possibly on the autism spectrum) 3 yo who she compares to my extroverted/fiesty DD in a negative way- BEHIND MY BACK to people she has to know will say something to me! I have had about enough! Developmentally appropriate behavior does not equal bad parenting! She won't even take her kid to the park because the other kids overwhelm him...I could go on, but I'll save it for my own bitch someday.

You're doing a great job. I'm guessing your friend doesn't have a second child to deal with. Saying your kid behaves all the time to an friend who is bitching about her own kid is one of the dirtiest mom tricks you can pull, IMO!

momathome
05-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, if you had seen me with my 2 year-old at Target today, you probably would have thought our kiddos we separated at birth. ;) Don't worry, if the world is fair in any way, she'll end up with the teenager from h*ll. }(

beej
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
This is a post that I have wanted to write forever! My dd is very active. She is almost 3. I have similar issues and comments from a mom in a play group. Her dd is very quiet and not real outgoing. I have never commented on that. She feels it is ok to say that my dd is "a hellion"(sp?), and about how her future husband is "in for it". What? I have to bite my tongue and turn away bc i get so mad.
I guess I am saying that I understand where you are coming from. Our kiddos should hang out-imagine the damage they could do! haha

beej

DrSally
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Given the context, sounds normal to me! I think a 2 year old who had NEVER had a tantrum is odd. I know what you mean, though, about other parents claiming their children are angels.

DrSally
05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
This also sounds like she's stereotying girls, expecting them to be more prim and properly "feminine". I can only hope that if I have a girl some day, she will be brave, outgoing, and feisty!

maestramommy
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Assuming there's nothing off about her ds, she is just darned lucky, that's all. I agree, your kid sounds pretty normal.

SpaceGal
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I knew I wasn't the only one out there feeling this way. Thank goodness! I don't want to be the one to say that there's something wrong with her son but don't imply that I'm the one with a messed up kid. Funny thing is she has a new baby on the way and I told her to be careful of what he'll do when the baby comes. Ehh not that I want to wish her bad things but man you know. In all honesty, I'm sorta glad that DS#1 is as active as he is, considering he had open heart surgery, it's nice for me to know he's just like any average toddler.

Melanie
05-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry. It's easy to judge or label other kids/parents when things are going easily for you, though I would like to think I would have AT LEAST refrained from saying so.

FWIW, things are shaping up to be that I had one extremely easy child (and yes, at age two he was fantastic. I even made him a shirt that said "I'm a TERRIFIC Two!") and another more...ahem...spirited child who does kick and scream and hit and claw me regularly (pleasesayitendssomedaypleasesayitendssomeday).