PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve..not holding the elevator open!

jacksmomtobe
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
You're getting out of the elevator with a stroller and I'm patiently waiting to get in with a stroller...why can't you hold the door open for me so it doesn't close before I can get in after you get out???? This has happened to me so many times recently at one of our local upscale malls. It's a pretty small place with only one bank of elevators so there can be quite a wait for another elevator. I've just watched the door close since the person getting out with the stroller takes some time (&I'm giving them room to get out) and the door is ready to close the second they get out. All it takes is a hand where the sensor is to make the doors stay open so I can get in. It's just so frustrating. I try to help out other Moms and these Moms seem so preoccupied with themselves that they can't even bother. Just had to get that off my chest!

gatorsmom
06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I hate that too. But, what i hate worse is when I'm pregnant and holding the hand of a toddler and people don't hold the door for us. This particularly pisses me off when it's a grown man letting the door hit us. Didn't your momma raise you better than that?

I usually just ask if they could hold the door for us and then watch them get a little flustered or say something like, "oh, sure."

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

TraciG
06-02-2007, 09:35 AM
That is annoying, I wonder if the mother's getting out of the elevator just don't realize ? I also hate when people don't hold the door open, especially with a stroller !!!

jacksmomtobe
06-02-2007, 09:05 PM
In general I would cut someone slack but in these situations it really seems like the other Moms are just focused on themselves. It is only at this one mall and it just seems to keep on happening.

Kungjo
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I hate that, but sometimes I just think that the moms are too flustered or occupied by their kids to have the time or energy to worry about others.

What I hate most are young men (17ish or older) who walk around us, open the door, and go in without any thought of holding the door open for me when I have both my DDs and a stroller. Didn't your momma teach you some manners?!?!? Grrr.....

Aunt to sweet baby boy
06-03-2007, 03:16 AM
I agree, whenever i am exiting an elevator, alone or with a child i make sure to hold the door open for whoever is entering. Sometimes it is hard with a stroller, but i always make an effort.

I also get so annoyed at people who do not hold the door open when you are pushing a stroller/carrying large/heavy packages. The back doors of my office building lead to the parking lot. People are not supposed to smoke right outside the door, but they do anyways. One day i was walking into the building holding two large bags with my/my co-workers lunches. A few guys were standing two feet from the door smoking where they should not have been and no one moved to help me. It is bad enough i need to walk through the cloud of smoke to get to work, i also had to struggle to open the door- i was not happy.

Anyways, i agree with you and next time i might loudly ask the person who is coming out to hold the door for me please, because that is very frustrating.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

alexsmommy
06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
What makes me nuts is in one of my office buildings, there are a lot of physicians who deal with elderly patients. I am shocked by how often I see people not holding the door open for someone slowly pushing a walker towards the elevator doors. I have actually stepped around some people to catch the door and hold it making some comment like, "Oops, this gentleman must not have seen you. Take your time." Grrrr. Just rude. Is the 10 seconds it takes to let them on or off really going to impact your day?
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

megs4413
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
thank you! i hate that, too!