PDA

View Full Version : My 4 year old doesnt have any money and doesnt call the shots about mine!

JustMe
06-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Today, I took my 4 year old dd to the mall. My allergies are out of control, so we needed to be inside for a while. We wander in to build a bear, because there were not many people in there...something that doesnt happen often around here. I would not have gone in if it was mobbed with paying customers, but since it was quite empty anyway, I felt fine about it. A salesperson approaches dd and gets down on her level

Salesperson to dd "Can I help you find something today? What are you looking for?"

At first I kinda liked this because I thought it would be entertaining to dd...but then the sales person shows her several outfits and ignores me when I say we will not be buying certain things. She goes on "Do you want to buy some accessories? A purse? Shoes?" Several times I said in an annoyed voice to my dd that we will not be buying these things.

I thought about stopping it, but I know dd generally knows we will not be buying everything she wants and I was impressed with how my very shy dd was interacting/handling herself. In the end, I did end up buying one of the cheapest outfits b/c dd did such a good job, but the whole thing pissed me off.

So, hey, build a bear salesperson: My 4 year old does not have any money and doesnt get to make the decisions about mine!

Robyn

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
How rude! I would be tempted to complain to someone there since they should know better than to annoy parents. They need parents to bring kids in there and they won't if the staff is like that!

Good job to dd on handling the situation well. :)

Beth

psophia17
06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
That would make me crazy!

But I don't like salespeople in general...especially not the kind that won't leave me alone. Here's to your DD doing a great job dealing with it!

kep
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I would be very annoyed!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Jenn98
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I hate annoying sales people. amd it would make me crazy to have her talking to DD like that.

Jenn98
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I hate annoying sales people. amd it would make me crazy to have her talking to DD like that.

casey0729
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I think I would have kept my DS right beside her as he screamed and cried because we weren't buying all the things she tried to entice him with.

Seriously? Interesting sales tactic. Do they have meetings with "this week, show everything to the kid so the parents will have to buy it in order to stop them screaming after they say no! It will work like a charm. Sales will increase 57%!"

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

casey0729
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I think I would have kept my DS right beside her as he screamed and cried because we weren't buying all the things she tried to entice him with.

Seriously? Interesting sales tactic. Do they have meetings with "this week, show everything to the kid so the parents will have to buy it in order to stop them screaming after they say no! It will work like a charm. Sales will increase 57%!"

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

lizajane
06-04-2007, 06:17 PM
one time when we went to stride rite, the salesperson showed me several pairs of shoes BEHIND HER BACK so that *I* could approve before DS saw them. now THAT is good selling!!!

lizajane
06-04-2007, 06:17 PM
one time when we went to stride rite, the salesperson showed me several pairs of shoes BEHIND HER BACK so that *I* could approve before DS saw them. now THAT is good selling!!!

katydid1971
06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Build a bear makes their money on the extra stuff they push on the kids. Somehow my childhood teddy was fun to play with and loved to death with out roller blades (or any shoes for that matter.) He didn't have a halloween costume either. I was at a birthday party before ds was born and the birthday girl whined the whole time that the over $200 worth of gift certificates she got for her birthday weren't going to be enough for everything she wanted to buy. That is why I avoid Build a bear, I think they teach greed and the love of stuff to our kids. Why can't they play with naked teddy bears like I did?
Sarah

DrSally
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Annoying! I can see addressing the child specifically to welcome her, that's cute. But trying to "sell" to her, specifically when you said out loud you weren't buying anything, that's sleazy

ETA: "naked teddy bears", I got a chuckle out of that one :)