PDA

View Full Version : why would you teach your kid...

megs4413
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
to say, "mine"? dd has a little friend who's daddy likes to play the "mine" game with her...he holds something she wants and when she tries to get it he pulls it away and shouts, "MINE!" they have a ball, but his little girl does it with EVERYTHING when she and DD are playing....and DD didn't even know that word until her friend started saying it to her all the time.....i was so happy to not be dealing with the toddler possessiveness (sp?)! GRRRRR.

megs4413
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
to say, "mine"? dd has a little friend who's daddy likes to play the "mine" game with her...he holds something she wants and when she tries to get it he pulls it away and shouts, "MINE!" they have a ball, but his little girl does it with EVERYTHING when she and DD are playing....and DD didn't even know that word until her friend started saying it to her all the time.....i was so happy to not be dealing with the toddler possessiveness (sp?)! GRRRRR.

kijip
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Weird. I agree that is a strange thing to specifically teach. I can't even believe that is something that needs to be taught! Never met a toddler yet who does not *at some point* insist that they want their things to be for them only in some way or another. Then the joys of learning to share (even when you don't want to) commence.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

kijip
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Weird. I agree that is a strange thing to specifically teach. I can't even believe that is something that needs to be taught! Never met a toddler yet who does not *at some point* insist that they want their things to be for them only in some way or another. Then the joys of learning to share (even when you don't want to) commence.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

Melanie
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
oh ugh. GMIL did this with Ds when he was a tot. Thank goodness Dh put an end to that.

Melanie
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
oh ugh. GMIL did this with Ds when he was a tot. Thank goodness Dh put an end to that.

lizajane
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
first kid, perhaps??? sometimes daddies (and mommies!) just don't know what they are teaching. things some folks think are good ideas astound us all...

that word drives me NUTS.

lizajane
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
first kid, perhaps??? sometimes daddies (and mommies!) just don't know what they are teaching. things some folks think are good ideas astound us all...

that word drives me NUTS.

scoop22
06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
that drives me crazy as well. somewhere somehow ds has learned the word mine. it is driving me nuts. i don't want him to be a "mine" child. he is done going to the babysitter for the summer so i hope to break him of this. but to play a game. that is just silly. not in my house will we be playing that.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

scoop22
06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
that drives me crazy as well. somewhere somehow ds has learned the word mine. it is driving me nuts. i don't want him to be a "mine" child. he is done going to the babysitter for the summer so i hope to break him of this. but to play a game. that is just silly. not in my house will we be playing that.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

klwa
06-05-2007, 05:32 AM
*chuckles* Okay. I'm guilty of this one. However, I've also got DS to know when it's a game and when it's not. When Mommy gives him the look, he stops playing REAL quick.
-Kris

Wife_and_mommy
06-05-2007, 07:09 AM
nak but we do too. granted it's ony w/ *her* lovey and big girl bed. nothing else in this world is exclusively hers. it's just a game. i can you assure we weren't the ones to teach her the word 'mine'.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

Canna
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
She has done it on a few occasions: taken one of DD's toys, held it to her chest and said, "Mine!" Waited to see if this got a rise out of DD, then held it out to DD and said, "Rachel's?" I think I finally did say something like, "We're trying not to teach her that" and I haven't seen her do it in a while. Drove me absolutely crazy!

But I agree - talk about terrible behavior to model! Yes, some kids are possessive, but that's a negative behavior as far as I'm concerned. Not one that you should teach children or play with them like a game! And MIL was an elementary school teacher for years and should know better!

DD is now 28 months old and although she speaks quite well, she has just in the past week or so tried to "claim" things as her own, and she does it by holding the object and saying "Yours!" We're happy for her to achieve the "Mine!" "milestone" incredibly slowly or not at all!!!

Gena
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
>I can't even believe that is something that needs to
>be taught! Never met a toddler yet who does not *at some
>point* insist that they want their things to be for them only
>in some way or another.

Sometimes it does need to be taught. I Have a 3 year old with high functioning autism who does not understand the idea "mine". He often insists that things (especially new items) are "somebody else's". It took him weeks to play with his birthday gifts because he believed they were somebody else's. And getting him to wear new clothes and shoes can be sheer torture. We spend a lot of time working on "mine", but it hasn't sunk in yet.

I'm not at all saying that this is true of the child in the original post. Just offering another POV.

juliasmom05
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Here's another view point as well :). My DD is speech delayed. When something was taken away from her at daycare, she would throw a tantrum. Therefore, early on her ST made a effort to teach her to sign and say "mine" as a means of communicating with her peers and to help her eliminate the tantrums. However, it's never been a game with us.

Marci