PDA

View Full Version : Oh what a night!

LarsMal
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
DD is a B-R-A-T, brat brat brat! After a solid 3 months of sleeping through the night she has been having some night-waking issues lately. After a couple good nights in a row, last night was one of the worst nights since she was born :-( !!

I had to get up a couple times around midnight to fish for her paci, and she settled herself back to sleep. At 3:10 this morning I heard THUMP THUMP THUMP. At first I was confused and freaked that someone was trying to get in our house when I realized it was just DD kicking her legs around in her bed. I got up and tried to get her back to sleep. Oh no- It was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun time. ERRRRR....She was up and giggling and playing for over an hour and a half. I wouldn't acknowledge it or talk to her, I just kept trying to get her back down. Finally around 4:30 I tried to feed her, hoping to nurse her back to sleep. Nope, I did one side and she threw it all back up and then started playing again. Finally at 5:15 I caved and brought her in bed with us where she proceded to use my face as a toy and thought it was so fun to wrap her legs around my neck and then flip over to do the same thing to DH. I joked and said, "That's it- It's Benedryl before bed for you!" She laughed- like she knew what I was saying. Stinker! The child did not go back to sleep until 5:30.

Needless to say I'm exhausted, and in a foul mood now, too. Good thing I watched Supernanny last night. I learned "Step Back, Don't Smack" :-) (not that I would smack, so I changed it to Step Back, Don't React)

Ugh...is it bedtime yet? And I have a drs appt during naptime today, so I can't even take a nap. errr....

And DH thinks we're having a third- FAT CHANCE!

nfowife
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
So she was up but not crying? Could you just have left her alone in her crib to play? At least that way you could have gotten some more sleep. I know my DD is happy (and actually needs that time to herself) to relax in her crib for up to an hour before going to sleep and about 30 minutes after waking up. She asks us to put her in her crib at bedtime and if we go to her too soon after she wakes, she doesn't want us to take her out of it.
Anyhow, on the nightwakings, I can totally commiserate. Except my DS has NEVER slept through the night yet. The most sleep I've gotten since he was born was 5 hrs. in a row....and it's happened maybe three times.

torontomom
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
deleted...

LarsMal
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
It sounds like our older kiddos are very similar. If we tell DS it's time for bed or nap he goes running- literally running- into his room and tries to climb into the crib. He likes to have his alone time before falling asleep, and sometimes we have no idea how long he's been awake before he's finally ready to get out of bed. He's our rockstar sleeper!

DD started out just playing and I let her go for a little while. The problem is that she is currently sleeping in the sitting room off our bedroom until DS moves out of the crib. She was content, but I could still hear her, so I couldn't fall asleep b/c I knew she wouldn't just go back down on her own. She started fussing and then crying a little. I tried to rock her a couple times, and so did DH, and she just didn't want any part of that- not crying- just wiggling around.

I think it would be easier if I was used to getting up like this. After having several months of sleep though, this really sucks!!! Hopefully it's just a phase!

I hope your litte man starts sleeping soon!

gatorsmom
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Ah, but they get easier as they get older. Then you start to think, well, maybe one more. Then you get pregnant. With twins.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

torontomom
06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
deleted...

LarsMal
06-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Lisa- I actually used you as an example to DH! I keep telling him with our luck I'll end up having twins, too!

ETA: not that there's anything wrong with having twins :-)

HannaAddict
06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Sounds like she is hitting her "developmental milestones" and party girl time at almost exactly the same age and time of night as mine did! And they both did the "pile driver" move too. Hope you can get some rest tonight!!

Kimberly

elizabethkott
06-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a "thumper". DS LOVES to THWACK his feet down in his crib. Apparently, it's hilarious. It must feel good or sound good or something! And I can totally empathize - he's a really great sleeper (mamas, please don't seek me out and throttle me) so those nights when he does wake up it's like, come ON! I think if I was used to him getting up it would be one thing, but because we're not used to it, it's really annoying when he does wake up and want to party.
I'm sure that it's the teething thing, since he cut his first tooth two weeks ago, and it's still coming through in stages, so some nights are good and others not so much. I try to give him as little tylanol as possible, but when he's screaming in pain and unconsolable, there's just nothing else I can do!
Hang in there - she'll get back to her regular sleep pattern soon!

KrisM
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
What a bummer! DS woke DD last night, which annoys me.

This is what is keeping us from a third, too. DS sometimes sleeps through, but not more than 3 days a week. Sunday, he was up 3 or 4 times. DS is 3 years old. I feel it may never end.