PDA

View Full Version : $200 Ticket!

dogmom
06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
OK, so don't you think if they were going to close the entrance to the freaking Massachusetts Turnpike they would put up a sign? We managed to get out to dinner last night because my Mom was up and we were leaving Boston/Cambridge on a major road about to get on the Mass Pike. There was some work being done up ahead and orange cones up and both my husband and I were thinking "They not closing off the Mass Pike, are they? I mean, there would be flashing signs or something." Then we noticed a space about two lanes wide in the cones right at the turn off to get onto the Pike and the guy ahead of us went there. No signs, no detors, no cop with flashing lights I should add. We make the turn and a cop comes and pulls us over. We get $100 ticket, double to $200 because it's a work area. He accuses us of trying to kill the workers, which were 200 feet ahead in a trench. Gives my husband attitude because he has a Subura WRX so, "you must get speeding tickets all the time." Uh, no...just one two years ago when he was late for a surgical appointment. And the guy in front of us didn't get stopped. We told the cop if we knew the entrance was closed we wouldn't have gone there. Oh, and the Mass Pike was open, just that entrance ramp was closed. So there were cars coming on from the other direction, which confused the situation more.

The $200 is bad enough, but it will hike up both our insurances for 5 years. ACKKKKK! This is annoying. My DH wants to appeal it since as he puts it, "If I was wrong I would just pay, but I really don't think I was wrong, they needed a couple more cones there." That and I hate young cops with attitude. I know a lot of cops, they aren't all like that. My husband, being that he grew up in a very white part of the state and is not white, is VERY polite to cops. Sort of a self-preservation instinct. So it pisses me off when we are being polite, patient, not asking questions, and get treated like crap.

buddyleebaby
06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Was the ticket for making an improper turn or for speeding?

denna
06-19-2007, 07:59 AM
That is crap! I say he should appeal. Odds are in your favor that the cop will not show up for the court date (usually they are too busy for that) and the ticket will get thrown out. If not, you may be able to ask for traffic school so this ticket will not show up on your record and will not hike up your insurance (though you will still have to pay the fine).

Sorry you both had a rough night. Hope you fight it.

Good luck,

dogmom
06-19-2007, 08:51 AM
The ticket was for "Not staying within marked lanes" No speeding involved, we signalled the turn. Basically we didn't realize we weren't supposed to go through the cones to get to the exit because that lane was completely closed, even though they were no signs and the cones were pretty far apart. Which is confusing, because when you are on the Mass Pike getting off at an exit and they have a lane closed that's exactly how they do it. They don't have a sign up saying "exit open" they just leave a gap in the cones. If the exit is closed there is sign. We couldn't even see the actually work being done until after we turned and I could see the workman down about 200 ft past where we were. So it's not like we tried to run someone over. And the guy ahead of us did it and did not get a ticket!

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06
Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

SummerBaby
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Definitely plead not guilty and go and make your case. You'll get it reduced to something. I'm in NY, but usually if you have a good driving record, you can get tickets reduced to non-moving violations, which, although you pay a fine, do not affect insurance rates.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

buddyleebaby
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
In that case, I would fight it.

I would also write a letter to the officer's supervisor with his badge number and complain. There was no reason for him to be rude or make comments on the kind of car you drive. It won't do a thing to your ticket, of course, but his behavior was very unprofessional and should be reported.

kijip
06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
You should certainly appeal. If it is closed maybe they could get a "Ramp Closed" or a "road Closed" sign and one of those bars. There's a novel thought! Cones alone are too likely to fall over, be moved etc. Sorry you had to deal with this. I think you should be able to get it reduced so it does not ping your insurance.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

momathome
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Definitely appeal and show up in traffic court. Dh got a ticket in Cambridge before for running a red light when he totally didn't. I went to traffic court with him, he argued his case, the cop wasn't there, and the ticket was thrown out. Anyone arguing a speeding ticket that day got it reduced to the minimum. Driving in the Boston area with Big Dig h*ll and all of the confusing roads to begin with is next to impossible. I can totally see how you did what you did. Good luck!

elephantmeg
06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
absolutely appeal! Sorry your precious night out was ruined!

fortato
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Wait-- You had trouble navigating the roads in Massachusetts???? That's unusual.

I feel for you... this is why I make DH drive when ever we are there. THere are NEVER any signs, and if they are, it's always too late to see them. Stupid Big Dig.

Blame Mumbles Menino.

ShanaMama
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you & I agree with the PP that you should fight it. Explain to the judge exactly what you explained here. He should throw it out, or at the very least lower the severity.
FWIW, IME if you have a pretty good record your penalty is lowered (sp? is that a word?) at least one notch just for showing up in court.

bunnisa
06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Wanted to add -- take a photo (or draw a diagram) of the exit to show how it looked the night of the ticket. I think a visual for the judge/magistrate would help your case.

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

AddiesMom
06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
This stinks! Fight it, fight it, fight it! When you do fight it, have pictures, diagrams, etc... that it was not properly marked. I was in a minor accident in Wellesley the day after a major blizzard and the officer blamed it on a gas station that pushed a 7-foot tall snow bank onto a sidewalk/intersection. But wait! This is freakin' Massachusetts and somebody has to be a fault so I got the blame. It took over two years to appeal the accident (which I had to pay more for my insurance for 2 years) but luckily I had my digital camera from work the day of the accident. I went in with pictures of both cars, the snow bank and a diagram of where everything was. The guy took one look at it and said 'you have nothing to worry about'. Of course it took me months to get back the extra $$ I paid in insurance, and no interest was added!