PDA

View Full Version : When did it become okay to bash French People?

Melanie
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
aka, the new DirectV radio ad. Okay, I know WHEN, but WHY? If there was an anti-any-other-ethnicity ad it would be banned.

If you've not heard it it basically has someone calling a person with a french accent to ask them if they are happy with whatever cable company. Then they list all the bad qualities of the company's customer service with the french person responding indifferently (as in "We're rude where I come from, so I don't mind").

x(

gatorsmom
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Isn't french-bashing a national past time? :(

I lived in France a while and still have friends there so I cringe every time I hear it. I hated it even more during the whole Iraq invasion because of people calling french fries "freedom fries" and the stories of people dumping expensive bottles of wine down the sink.

In all fairness, though, some french (mainly Parisians) make fun of us just as often. I experienced this first hand. I think most of the time people who bashed Americans in front of me were just looking to start a discussion. The French have loved talking about politics since before the French Revolution! ;)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

kijip
06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I thought it became some sort of national mission when they started calling them freedom fries. Whatever. As if we don't have better things to do than to mock an entire country. I agree with you 100% it is annoying and childish.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)