PDA

View Full Version : Is anything made in America anymore?

katydid1971
07-09-2007, 02:04 AM
First it was the poisonous pet food, then the lead painted Thomas trains, now its poisoned tooth paste. I am so upset about the products that are coming into the United States that are dangerous to my family. Finding clothes made in the US is imposible except American Apparel and how many tee shirts do I need? And no one wants to see me in those tight leggings, I promise. The Radio Flyer, a symbol of an American childhood, made in China, as are Tonka trucks, Play-Doh and Barbie. The only toys I can find made in the US are from small companies with a very limited markets, like wooden trains. I grew up in a mining town and the ore that was dug up was sent about 20 miles where it was smelted then sent another couple hundred miles where it was refined then onto trains to manufacuters across the US. Now that same mine puts the dirt, completely unrefined, onto trains that take it to boats that take it to China where it returns as the wiring in a toaster etc. Sorry I'm going on and on but it bothers me that the only thing that seems to be made in the US is my Honda Accord. I am going to try and buy only US made products, I don't think I'll be able to do it but its worth a shot. Sorry for the rant, but I fear for my family's safety.
Thanks for letting me vent
Sarah

SummerBaby
07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I am with you on this one. I've become really upset about all of the dangerous stuff being brought in here from China. The thing that really upsets me is that it's not always possible to know where your food is coming from. For example, who would think Veggie Booty would cause salmonella because the spices were imported from China?? I just don't know how you can completely escape it these days, and I think it's not only scary, but sad.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

dawell0
07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Not to ruin your hopes but even if the product is assembled in American, most of the parts are from another country. Your Honda Accord may have been assembled in Marysville, Ohio, but it probably is only about 10% parts made in the US, if that.

MamaMolly
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, yes, yes! I have been thinking of writing this post (ok, except for the personal stuff! :P )

Did anyone else read the Time article about products made in China? What scared the daylights out of me was how the FDA decided to check toothpaste after an ingredient in cough syrup killed people in Peru. Um...ok, the ingredient was a poision that was 'mislabeled' as glycerine, but how the McHeck did the FDA make the jump from cough syrup to toothpaste? And why does Time say it was 'mislabeled'? Mislabeled mis-shmabled. Mislabeled my fanny. What use could there be for a product that is just like cough syrup or toothpaste except that it is poisionous?

It is so frustrating. I have really become a label reader. Today I decided to start stocking up at our local Farmer's market for fresh *locally grown* organic fruits, veggies and meats. It costs more, but I guess that is why we have a deep freezer.

Ugh.

gatorsmom
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I can't remember where I read this but it was from a reputable source. The company that was manufacturing the dog food bought their rice flour from a reputable agricultural company in China. Until they were underbid by like $30 from a different company in China. So, they were originally paying something like $900 for a container of rice flour and they were offered rice flour for $870/container from a small company. As it turned out, the manufacturing company bought the cheaper flour and only after the pets got sick found out that powdered melamine (the plastic they use in making children's plates, etc.) was added to the rice flour to help fill up the containers.

so, my question was, WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO QUALITY CONTROL? Don't companies have QC departments anymore? Are they making so much money on us consumers that lawsuits don't concern them anymore?

very, very frightening...

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

miscelster
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
!

elliput
07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
That is not exactly correct. Here is the CNN article regarding the execution of an EX-director of China's food and drug safety agency. http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/10/china.execution.reut/index.html

emmiem
07-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Just wanted to add that it is the US companies that are constantly trying to get their products made cheaper and cheaper in China and overseas. They live the quality control and the how tos to the overseas companies and just want the lowest possible wholesale price.

The book called The Real Toy STory was very informative.
Michele

MarisaSF
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
There's a cartoon in The New Yorker this week. A little boy walks into his barren room and says to his friend, "My parents got rid of everything made in China."

He only has a mattress and a dresser. :(

kusumat
07-11-2007, 04:07 AM
I have a difficult time finding baby feeding spoons made in the USA. The stainless steel one was my prior choice, but I could not find any brands made here. I called Lenox, Oneida, and other reputable brands. Well all are made overseas(in Asia). I was inform that only the sterling silver ones were made in the US. The sterling silver is so expensive though. One spoon is $50 up! I decided to pay $40 for four teaspoons(from William Sonoma) made in France instead. I guess European has better quality control. I hope that I am not wrong. I am planning to buy things made either in US, Canada, or European countries from now on.

BTW, I am replacing the organic cribsheet (made in China) with the US made one. It costs 3 times more!!

tarabenet
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Yep. And this is because American consumers demand cheaper and cheaper goods. Retailers are only trying to meet market demand.

One other thing that isn't discussed a lot is that some of the qualities we demand in certain products require processes and chemicals we have banned here. For instance, dyes and fixatives for fabric that won't fade involve some pretty nasty and dangerous stuff. Getting it, using it, and disposing of it properly and legally within our US system is expensive. This is why you don't find much Made in the USA fabric. There are plastics, paints and other components of products that have the same issues. Not to mention, of course, the difference in labor costs even when we aren't including child labor in the discussion.

AddiesMom
07-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Just to continue your rant... First, I am petrified of all of the kids products being recalled with lead in them. I just noticed that apple juice I bought has a small stamp on it that says "Concentrate from China!"

But the other thing that drives me nuts is all of the Customer Serivce positions being sent out of the country. I had a problem with shipping charges at DisneyShopping.com. It took me 2 calls just to get a person who I could understand. Two months ago my Mom had to call Thrifty car rental and got an awesome CSR on the phone and asked for her extension, she said not to bother that after working there 10 years she was out of a job in 2 weeks since the call center was being moved overseas. Chase credit card, that call was overseas. The list gets longer and longer.........

Clarity
07-12-2007, 07:03 AM
True, and even the "American" cars are made elsewhere. That Honda was built in Ohio, but my Step's Buick came from Mexico, so did the Ford Fusion and others, I'm sure.