PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the things you find when you google

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I was talking about birth on another board and I knew of an article that may be helpful to the discussion. So, I googled it. I found it quickly on someone's website and as I was scrolling down the page to read the rest of the content it started to look familiar. Familiar b/c I wrote it all.

I checked the other pages of the website and they were my personal "articles" that I wrote up when I hosted on another board. I was given no credit on those pages. I went to the home page and found that I was credited with the info.

I know I posted it on a public forum and may not be entitled to it anymore. But, I know the person who started the web page. She was my replacement host. We exchanged email on a few occasions. She could have asked me.

I was going to start my own website with that information. I spent a lot of time writing these things and feel pretty attached to/ proud of them.

I would have been interested in being involved with creating a good website. I'd rather do it myself though.

Just annoyed. Needed to vent about it and thought this was a good place to do that. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. :)

Beth

elizabethkott
07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Beth,

Is there a way you can email the person who posted it and ask her to credit you on each individual page? I think that since sites like google send you to specific pages, even if the original author is credited on a home page, it's not an unreasonable request to have credit given on each separate linked page, especially for citation purposes. What a PITA if someone did want to cite your work in a more formal writing...
And I say go ahead and post them yourself, giving yourself credit. And if you need to, right now go and get the "poor man's copyright". If you can find the original posting or writing of them, print them out, and mail them to yourself. Then don't open them. The postmark acts as a copyright in court, should it ever get to that point. Granted, the postmark would be for now, not previously, but it could help your case if it ever actually did get to a copyright infringement issue with this person.
HTH!
Oh, and if that person refuses, they just stink! It's not an unreasonable request!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I was wondering if I could find the original date I posted them. I know the one thread is still bookmarked on the main page on the BBS so I have some evidence that I wrote it 2-3 years ago.

Thanks for all the advice! I was just so taken aback by finding them!

Off to see if I still have her email address.

Beth

stillplayswithbarbies
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
http://www.copyright.gov/

You have the right to ask her to remove the articles. Even if she credits you as the author, she first has to ask your permission before publishing your work on a website.

punkrockmama
07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh SNAP! That's crappy Beth. I can imagine how it felt when you came upon your work like that. Hopefully she'll be stand up about now and do the right thing. If not you've gotten some good advice. The lessons here are: No one can hide from google. And don't try to be shady. :)

supercalifragilous
07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't know too much about this, but even if you posted it on a public board, isn't that intellectual property? Or don't you retain intellectual rights that you need to be asked & credited should it be copied somewhere else?

That really just sucks. I hope you get that resolved soon!

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
"Intellectual Property" was the phrase floating through my head but I need to research it.

Beth