PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the people who respond to Craiglist Ad's???????

Pennylane
07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
I am on the verge of losing it! I put 3 seperate ads on Craigslist to sell some furniture that we need to get rid of. It is all really nice and I priced it very low. I've gotten over 200 emails. Most of them are "Oh I want that! When can I pick it up? What is your address?" One week later, guess where all the furniture is??? You guessed it, still here! Why do people bother emailing if they have no intention to actually come get it? And the people that do make plans to come get it email me 30 minutes before hand to tell me that something came up and end every apology with " God Bless" like that is going to make me less angry. Honestly I am at the point know to where I just want to take the furniture in teh back yard and set fire to it...I don't know if it is a "no burn" time right now though :)

Sorry about this rant, I just don't get it!

Ann

maestramommy
07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
That is really inconsiderate. Dh has taken to browsing the Craigslist lately, looking for toys and such. If he says he is going to look at something, he makes it a point to be there. We just got a toy kitchen for Dora, and when we were paying the woman, she sounded so appreciative and said, "you just never know, some people say they'll be here, then they never show." I just don't understand that. I guess people think since you're strangers, it doesn't matter if they just blow you off, maybe someone else will call in wanting something. Um, people invest time when they sit and wait for you to show!

Globetrotter
07-12-2007, 11:05 AM
How frustrating!

I sold a few pieces of furniture on there recently but I didn't have such a bad experience. Next time maybe say "serious inquiries only" or something like that?

Though this last time I did get three gmail emails in the middle of the night. Two of them had a similar sounding name so I got suspicious. Sure enough, they were part of a scam and wanted to pay via certified check. Two of them (the same person) sent the same request so it was beyond obvious!

Read the scam warnings on craigslist, if you haven't already done so, and they will tell you how to avoid this. Only meet local people in person, do cash only transactions, etc...

ETA: Don't give up!!! I had three people interested in some chairs. The first one was a pain and wanted to bargain down though it was already pretty cheap. The second one was really sweet and was opening a home daycare. I ended up selling some other stuff I hadn't listed yet, plus giving her some ride-ons and puzzles for free. The other two transactions were equally smooth and very appreciative of the deals, so don't give up!! They are out there.

Kris

s7714
07-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't get it either. Although I've come to the conclusion that 99% of the people shopping via Craigslist aren't ever posting anything themselves, so they have no clue as to how annoying it is when they don't show up.

I've gotten to the point that I give responders a 24 hour deadline and tell them point blank that if they don't pick it up by that time it'll be offered to the next person. I don't make exceptions or listen to sob stories any more.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

neeter
07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Sooso frustrating! This has happened to me, too.

Now I just say "first come, first served" when I respond to someone who is interested. That makes people who really want something to set an appointment as soon as possible, and has weeded out those who think they want it but decide 1/2 hr before that they don't want to make the trip!

Good luck!

trales
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I just had this happen. I was was really annoyed and wondered if I had put the buyers off somehow. It actually makes me feel better to know I am not the only one blown off selling nice furniture.