PDA

View Full Version : SO ANNOYED MIL decides to FIX Sydney's hair

TraciG
07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
last night unfortunately we had a family get together and 5 minutes after we arrive I hear my MIL say to Sydney come here I want to fix your hair, fix it she made it so messy, she took out the cute rubber band , it was half up & I made banana curls in her hair with my finger ( she has wavy/ curly hair ) anyway she out the whole thing up in a ponytail with her hands that was so sloppy, what NERVE ! I had to go in my DH's Aunt's bedroom & find a brush that was huge & attempt to FIX what she did, the whole night it was sloppy. I cared so much because relaives that never saw Sydney were seeing her for the first time.

Not sure if I'm overreacting or it's my pregnancy hormones !

maestramommy
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
How odd. What made your MIL think her hair needed fixing? I don't know if you're overreacting, but if my MIL or mom did that I would at least be pretty annoyed and say something, like "what are you doing? I just did her hair the way it's supposed to be."

TraciG
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I think she likes Sydney's hair all up in one pony tail. I wish I had to nerve to have said that !!!!!!!!

candybomiller
07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I think you're overreacting.

lisams
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I can understand how that bothered you. I like DD's hair to look nice, epsecially when we're with people like family that she doesn't see that often. It's just one of my little type A quirks, lol! When she sleeps over at my parent's they don't brush her hair (and she has curly hair so it turns into a big mess if it isn't brushed). I try to blow it off since she has a blast there and it gives me a little break. Everytime though I cringe inside and as soon as we get home I brush out all of the tangles.

After spending time getting her hair all cute and having someone else "fix" it, that can feel like a slap in the face. To me it would be like if someone decided to change her outfit because the one you put on her wasn't cute enough. Pregnancy hormones don't help - I overreacted to all kinds of things that looking back were really no big deal. At least you have an excuse ;-)

Silly in laws!

californiagirl
07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, I think she was wrong but it probably wouldn't seem like such a big deal in other circumstances. But if it makes you feel better, you can imagine what would happen if she met up with my DD and tried that trick. DD howls like a banshee if you try to put her hair in one ponytail "NOOOO! Not ALL! Just the TOP! NOT ALL! NOTALLNOTALLNOTALL! IT HURTS! It hurts my neck. STOOOOP!" Personally when it's 100 degrees I think getting the hair off the back of her neck would be a good thing but nooo.

niccig
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I think the reaction you have depends on the relationship with your MIL. I know that if my Mum did it in her "let me do it, I can do it better/quicker/faster" way, then I would be po'ed. I know my mum's point of view would be from trying to help, but there are things I don't need/want help with, and there are things that you ask about first.

Jenn98
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't think you're overreacting. Overreacting would have been to scream at her, "Biyatch, what do think you're doing? Get away from my child!!!!" I would have been really annoyed if someone tried to "fix" my girls' hair when it obvioulsy didn't need fixing. (((hugs)))

AddiesMom
07-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Not overreacting! I think I would have snapped if I spent time on DD's hair and she was seeing relatives for the first time. Next time say "NO", Sydney's hair does not need fixing but thanks anyways!

When I drop off DD at my MIL's I have to dress her like a hobo since the clothes get so stained!

gatorsmom
07-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't think you are overreacting (although I'm hormonal too!), but if I was styling one of my children's hair in preparation for meeting some new people, then someone decided that it wasn't nice enough and redid it without asking me, I'd be pissed too.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen alot with boys' hair.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!