PDA

View Full Version : 3 adults and a baby.....

JBaxter
07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
ON A SCOOTER!!!

Yes thats right we were in Cozumel Mexico and a scooter with 3 adults and a baby riding on a females hip went zooming by. I under stand we may have stricter carseat laws BUT COME ON. The child couldnt have been a year old no helmet <like that would have mattered>
My husband looked and me and said DONT YOU DARE chase after those people ( he was kidding) but he "knows" how I get with things like that. I only replied ... hun they were driving WAY to fast for me to catch on foot < grrrrrr>

maestramommy
07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm afraid this is all too common in countries that have more scooters than cars. When I was in Taiwan I would see a family of three or four on one scooter. Dad in front, mom in back, one kid standing in front holding the handlebars, and one kid STANDING in back holding Mom's shoulders. It was unbelievable, but cars are unaffordable for a lot of people there. The scooter is the only way they can get around as a family unless they're going to take the bus.

s7714
07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Yep, my DH brought back some pictures from his business trip to India to show me what the traffic was like there. He said there were tons of scooters with a whole family riding on them. In one picture I can clearly count 5 people on a scooter (two adults and 3 kids of varying ages) and there was possibly a 4th kid hanging on the other side! I was speechless when I saw the pictures!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

anamika
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey, I have done that myself as a kid. I don't think it means my parents cared any less about my safety. It's very common in India where traffic speeds are way lower than here. Not everybody can afford cars and car-seats, all around the world.
On the other hand, I was never exposed to guns or drugs, until I came to this country.