PDA

View Full Version : I see the gift horse and I'm looking it straight in the mouth

punkrockmama
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Why are you asking me what to get my kids for Christmas? It's JULY. July as is summer. As in freakin' months away from December which is two months after Layla's birthday. Time flies so fast these days with my sweeties. Slow down. Next you'll ask me what to get them as wedding presents.

*deep breathe* *plastering smile on my face*....Thanks so much for thinking of us and asking what kind of presents to get the kids for Christmas. I really appreciate it. I haven't given it much thought yet but I'll get back to you on that.

gatorsmom
07-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Keep that smile plastered on- I shop for Christmas in the summer too. For a few very good reasons:

1-no one else is in the stores this time of year.
2- I can take advantage of end-of-summer sales.
3-I HATE shopping with kids in the snow and slush, dragging mittens and coats and hats in December and going from the below-zero outdoors to piping hot department stores. Way too much work.
4- ILs are out of town so I have to ship stuff early.
5-If the gifts are all purchased, I can enjoy the season that much more.

Now, that said, kids are really hard to buy for this early because their tastes change so quickly. What your kids like now isn't necessarily what they will like in 6 months. (gift cards are always good).

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

ellies mom
07-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Actually, I'm already planning DD's Christmas and Birthday gifts now because I've got two 20% off coupons to this really cool local toy store that expire the first of September. I probably should consider what to get my 6 year old niece for Christmas and her birthday while I can still save money. So thanks for the reminder. ;)

katydid1971
07-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey at least they asked!!! My SIL (who has no kids) gets my 2 year old size 6 t-shirts and toys that are way too old for him. I have to store these things and try to remember to pull them out of some deep dark closet 4 or 5 years from now. Thanks sooo much SIL!!!!
Sarah

punkrockmama
07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. :) I know. I'm the one that ends up paying for whatever I buy plus my first born in shipping charges to get it in time for under the tree since I procrastinate and wait until the last minute.

But you see, it was an IL that asked me. And well, anything that comes out of an ILs mouth (especially now since me and the man are currently separated) is immediately perceived as uber evil (even on the very rare occasion when it is not). So that's why I got my jollys here so I can continue toface them with poise and grace....Without the poise, and um, the grace.

tzipora
07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Take heart - my own mother called this morning, two days before DS's birthday, and asked what to get him. And I had No Freaking Clue. Good, no?

I had totally forgotten that she got DD a really nice birthday present this year and would presumably want to do the same for DS. And DS has been a bit of a holy terror for the past few days, so thinking of large gifts for him hasn't exactly been at the tip of my priority list. All of which led to one of the least graceful phone calls of all time, as I momentarily blanked on what she had in fact gotten DD a couple of months ago, and then babbled incoherently for at least five minutes as I figured out what would be a good idea to suggest.

So I can totally sympathize. :)

ellies mom
07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I can totally relate. My MIL really can't win for trying either. If she doesn't get us something, I complain. If she does get us something I usually don't like it so I complain. But at least you are handling it with poise and grace where it really does count. And I don't mind that you want to vent a bit.

And I also relate with Sandra. We are so used to having to buy Ellie everything ourselves that when some family member does ask, I usually draw a complete blank.