PDA

View Full Version : WTH is up with DIET commercials on kids' channels?

supercalifragilous
07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
DD was watching Discovery Kids today and all of a sudden I hear, "You can go from this to THIS without dieting, starvation, exercise, or cosmetic surgery!!!" WTH??? Kids nowadays are bombarded with enough negative media telling them the way they're "supposed" to look in society and now Discovery Kids is playing weight loss commercials? I am so disgusted! What a disappointment.

I really like some of the shows on Discovery Kids but if it means shielding my DD from yet another ad telling her that she has to be a size 0 with rock-hard (airbrushed) abs to be beautiful, I'm going to boycott it. It's a shame - DD really loves animals and is really taken by that new Bindi show.

Those stinkin' weight loss companies have reached a new low but I blame Discovery for selling out and allowing those commercials to be shown. They just don't belong on channels dedicated to children!

Thanks for letting me vent.

nov02mom
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm with you!!! jacob's been asking me "What's a diet?" for 3 days now. I swear- we're gonna have to go back to Noggin forever.

elizabethkott
07-15-2007, 03:16 PM
It's bad enough that all the kids channels have BK and McD's commercials all over the place, now they want to start little kids on diets?
I'm starting to think my folks ad it right only letting me watch PBS...

emmiem
07-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Because moms are there with the kids, of course.
Michele