PDA

View Full Version : The effing Cancer society STOLE all of Jack's toys..

HannaAddict
07-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Any chance it wasn't the Cancer Society? Or did they leave a blank receipt? I know in summer there have been reports of people driving around loading up expensive Kettlers, nice strollers, patio furniture right off of people's front porches or even back decks. If it was the Cancer Society, can you find out where they take the stuff for processing and hustle down there? If they won't give it back, small claims court, even though they are a charity.

That is awful though. I hope you get your things back. My son would be so upset too.

Kimberly

Jacksmommy2b
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
They left a reciept for it all and the bag of clothing I had left for them was still ON THE BENCH! Grrrrrrr.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to get it all back.

HannaAddict
07-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Oh man, I would be livid. :( Hope you get your stuff back asap.

Kimberly

Momof3Labs
07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Where was that stuff sitting when they picked it up?? Honestly, I think that your chances are pretty slim of getting it back through them. And you'll be lucky if they tell you where they take it, but it's worth a try.

They usually sell their truckloads to local consignment/thrift places (kinda like for-profit goodwill stores) so I'd grab the phone book and make a list of places to check. When we lived north of Chicago, the items would be brought from a very, very wealthy area to a consignment store about 20 miles away that was on a borderline middle and lower class neighborhood.

DrSally
07-22-2007, 08:36 PM
!!!! OMG I would definitely try to get the stuff back. Do you have a copy of the original msg. you sent. I would contact a manager about this immediately before your toys get lost in the shuffle.

tarabenet
07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I'd consider filing a police report, as well. You'd report a stolen adult bike, right? A Kettler, a ride-on, etc.? That is all in the same price range.

Definitely talk to a human first thing in the morning, hopefully before they get a chance to sell the whole truckload, etc.

Jacksmommy2b
07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes..

My DH left a great message for them (strong but not mean) and he'll call again in the AM.

I tried to get a police report but the cop was a jerk and yelled at me that it was a misunderstanding (duh - I don't think they drive around and take whatever they want) an he won't file a report against a charity. He did however tell me to call again if they won't give back his toys.

So now we wait and hope....

tarabenet
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Aw, man! Insult to injury, hmmmm? So sorry. What a PITA.

sarahsthreads
07-22-2007, 10:15 PM
That's really awful. I hope that you're able to get the toys back from them!

Sarah

Melanie
07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Oh how terrible. I would imagine it's clearly a misunderstanding, though. I know there are certain charities here which hire people with some limited mental capabilities and other things. I could see something like that happening. I do hope they can track them down quickly and get them back to you.

lisams
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Are you sure it was a legit organization? Every single organization that picks up donations has always asked that we put the stuff in a bag, or if it's too big to put a label on it somewhere with their name so they know to take it.

Very odd - I really hope you get the stuff back.

Globetrotter
07-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Yes, they always tell us to put them in clearly marked bags. They won't even take them unless they are labeled with Cancer society. Now I can see why. Wow, that is nuts!!!

Kris

Jacksmommy2b
07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Dh called again this morning and spoke to a woman who was apologetic and said she would have her manager call us. By 5pm we hadn't heard back so he called again and was told the manager wasn't in today but she called his cell phone and he would call us Tuesday morning. She told us she had put in a few calls to try and track down our stuff but hasn't had any luck.

DH asked her our chances of getting our stuff back and she told him that some things are sold as soon as they are picked up. *right*
He asked what would happen if they couldn't find Jack's toys and she said she couldn't tell us - we would have to speak to the manager. DH added in that he would think this would be a pressing matter that would warrent a call today - but apparently they are not that concerned. I guess we'll see what the manager comes back with.

Really interesting side note:

DH came home from work and parked under the basketball net and noticed the whole darn thing is mangled. Like hit with a freaking *truck* mangled. Our current guess is that the idiot truck driver hit the basketball hoop - freaked out - grabbed the first thing he saw and beat feet out of there.
(the hoop is old and no one uses it anyway) But it still burns me.

Lolagirl
07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I might be going out on a limb here, but you may get better results with this whole debacle if one of you can go to the Cancer Society office in person. I would also bring pictures of your mangled basketball net, and demand that the supervisor take you seriously. I know it's probably a huge pain in the neck for either you or your husband to go out of your way like that, but it will be a lot harder for them to give you the run around or continue to put you off when you're standing directly in front of them.

Good luck with this, I would also be really angry if I were in your situation!

Jenn98
07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
I would file a police report. I know that sounds harsh and I'm sure it was an accident and all, but they did steal your stuff. Lots of stuff. Expensive stuff. I don't care if he ran your dog over, getting flustered is no excuse for running off with a kid's whole stash of toys. I work in non-profit and it really bugs me when people don't treat them like "real" businesses. If anyone else took all your stuff and refused to return it wouldn't you file a police report? At the very least it will show the Cancer Society that you are seriousl. And don't let a bone head police officer tell you that you can't file a report.

Laurel
07-23-2007, 07:39 PM
ITA, file a police report. The longer this goes, the less chance you have of getting your original stuff back.

I'd also be prepared with exactly what you expect from the Cancer Society if they can't get you your stuff back.

EllasMum
07-23-2007, 11:10 PM
My sister had a very similar experience - not sure which organization it was, but they left the usual phone message "we'll be picking up in your area on such and such a day" and to leave stuff in white plastic bags MARKED with blah-blah organization. They had nothing to leave, but happened to be getting their delivery of cloth diapers that day. The dumb pickup truck grabbed their bag of diapers and took it. My sister didn't even realize what had happened until she called the diaper service to find out where her delivery was. It was actually the diaper delivery receptionist that clued her in to the idea that it might have been a charity pickup mixup. Sure enough, my sister called the organization and the confirmed the had picked up "from her street" but refused to confirm that anything had been picked up from her actual house. She ranted at them about getting the diapers back (cloth diaper folks can maybe correct me but I believe a full week's worth of cloth diapers is as much as a couple hundred dollars?) but they told her that once the bags are picked up they go to a warehouse and it would be 'impossible' to get them back. My sister called the diaper service who said that was garbage and that they have had this exact issue before, and offered to call on my sister's behalf. The diaper service rep called the org and basically freaked on them and demanded the items back or to have them replaced. The organization ended up having to fork over the cash for the missing items because they could not (or perhaps would not) find them in their warehouse. So I would stick to my guns and demand your items back or at least their replacement.

Good luck and sorry for the looooong reply! :)

Susan

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Holy crap! I can't believe that. How totally effed up!! Man, I would have gone down there and went OFF. The cops prolly would have taken me.

I would call the po po back, speak to another officer. This is shady.

What a bunch of straight up mofos. I am so sorry this happened to you guys. Good luck and keep us updated!

dules
07-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Yikes! Were all of the toys on the porch with the bag? It seems so weird that they'd clear out the yard and not take the bag on the porch.

I hope you get your stuff back. If you don't, you know who not to call next time with your donations, and since all the stuff was new, you'll have the deductions - does not make up for it, I know, but it's something. :(

Mary

Momof3Labs
07-24-2007, 08:27 AM
>DH asked her our chances of getting our stuff back and she
>told him that some things are sold as soon as they are picked
>up. *right*

Yes, this is often true. Read my post above. The truck literally goes straight to the thrift store that buys the truckload, and unloads directly there.

I hope it's not the case for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

gatorsmom
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
oH, man I would be furious. I'd call the cancer society and threaten that if I do not get everything back (or compensated) within a day I'd be calling the police department and the newspaper.

Why would someone want to donate to a charitable organization if it's going to bite them in the butt?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Laurel
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I agree, threaten to alert the media.

alleyoop
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I had the same thing happen to me! It was the Paralyzed Veterans of Texas and they call for cloths. They give you the directions: in a bag, clearly labeled, blah, blah, which I followed, of course. They took the bag and our 'Lil Tikes Picnic Table from the front porch (not labeled, about 10 feet away)! I called within 2 hours and they said it had already been sold. WHAT? It was on the truck, taken back, sorted, put in the store and SOLD all within two hours? My butt! It wasn't even cloths!! Then the woman said, "thanks for your donation, it is tax deductible!" I just about screamed at her.

Now they call once a month to ask me to donate and I give each and every person an earful about how their organization steals from people and that I will never "donate" to them again. Every time they say, "would you like me to remove you from our call list?" and every time I say no. I want those people to know what sort of charity they work for.

You lost a substantial amount of stuff. I think you should make them reimburse your money or call the police or TV station in your area. Not cool.

elephantmeg
07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
this is so sad! I really hope you get your stuff back.

o_mom
07-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Any word on Jack's toys?

Jacksmommy2b
07-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Tuesday

My DH was supposed to hear back from the manager this morning. (because he was out of the office yesterday) The manager never called so DH called again in the late morning. He got disconnected the first time and the second time he finally go the manager on the line. The manager told DH that it was our fault the toys got taken because we had them on our lawn on collection day amd he would not apologize. He also told us that we had 'no chance' of ever getting our toys back because they were 'long gone" and if we were that concerned we would not have waited three days to talk to him about it. DH told him we left a message for them as soon as we noticed they were gone on Saturday morning and it was the manager that was unavailable until today.
DH told the manager that it was his responsibilty to rectify what they had done because they had taken the toys and not what they were supposed to take - the manager again said we would "never see" our toys and that he wouldn't give us a dime because the toys they took were used. Dh then reminded him the toys were used because they were currently being used by our son. The manager then hung up on him.

DH called back and the manager told him that he didn't like DH's attitude and if he didn't like it again this call would end the way the first one did. He also said that he would talk to his supervisors but that they wouldn't do anything for us either- they are a non-profit and not responsible. DH then told him that
just because they are a charity does not mean they can choose what to take and that we gave him the opportunity to fix this and if this was they was he was going to treat us he would call the police and have a report filed and call the local news stations. The manager then said that the whole story was too fishy and it was probably bullsh!t anyway. DH said that they already admitted to taking the toys and selling them so what could possibly be fishy? The manager then said that he would call us by the end of the week if his supervisors had anything to say to us.

After getting off the phone with the DH I called the police to have a report taken. (the last cop would not take the report until we had talked to the charity) The cop that showed up was seriously the greatest cop ever. DH and I told him the whole story and he said he was Po'ed on our behalf and the last time he checked it was still illegal to remove something from someone's front lawn regardless of it being collection day or not I had printed pictures of all J's stuff and descriptions and provided the cop with the collection reciept. He called the manager from our front lawn. Manager was convieniently unavailable but the cop talked to the receptionist and confirmed that we donated every month and that our entry always says a black bag on the bench - do not take the bench.
He left a message for manager to call him (and also added in that in **** township the charity is not able to decide what they can remove and not remove- or who's fault it was if they removed the wrong item)and he told us that he would get back to us the second he heard back from the manager. He also said that if it were his kids toys he would just as angry as we were.

He also said that our original request for a report was handled really poorly. He said it was not the original cop's call to make if we got a report or not and if he had done his job properly the first time we called we would have already had J's toys back

So we're back to waiting. I feel really hopefull that the cop will be able to get somewhere with the manager. I think I'm still going to call the news station when all this is said and done - hopefully sparing anyone else anything like what we are going through. There are plenty of great charities out there - this particular one isn't one of them!

Wednesday

My 17 y/o brother goes to leave for work this morning and finds the manager on our front lawn. Dylan asks if he can help him and the manager starts pounding him with questions. He asked if my husband lived here and if he was home, Dylan said we did live here and DH wasn't home but I was asleep with the baby. Manager told Dylan not to bother us and continued to ask questions. He asked him how long we all lived together and his relationship to us. He asked who's toys were taken, what they looked like and where they were. He asked where we got them and how much we paid for everything. He asked how old everyone was and who called to make the donation and whos stuff was being donated. Dylan answed what he could and told the manager that he was down the shore when all the toys were taken and he wasn't sure where we left them that day. The manager snooped around the front yard for a while then left to go "talk to the neighbors"

I can't believe this guy! He came back to my home and started badgering a kid!?!

Dylan is really upset - He said the guy was really intimidating and he didn't know what to do. I told him he did just fine telling the truth but for future reference he had every right to tell the guy to f*** off and he should get me immediately.

I called the cop from yesterday and left a message about what the guy did today but I have yet to hear back. I am still so enraged I'm shaking.
If he wanted to come here he should have made arrangements with us or the cop and he had NO RIGHT to go after my little brother! Who the h@ll does this guy think he is playing freaking CSI on our front lawn interragating whomever he darn well pleases. Uggghhhhh.. I just hope the cop is as angry as I am.

This is becoming more unreal by the day...

Thursday

So My phone rings at 7 last night and it's Officer Miller calling on his day off!
He said he was telling his wife about our story at dinner and she was outraged! So he called in for his messages and got mine from that morning so he wanted to update me.

Tuesday He had tried calling Manager Bob over and over until he finally called the receptionist and said that he and Bob would be having a really big problem unless Bob got back to him in the next 15 minutes. Low and behold Bob called back. He told Officer Miller that he told DH he needed another 24 hours to find our toys and DH "flipped out on him". Miller told him the version he heard had Bob telling us our toys were all sold, they would not help us replace them and it was our fault they were taken to begin with. Bob replied "Um, Ah, well" So Bob told Miller he neede some time to "figure out what had happened" and that he would call him on Wednesday. (Miller gave Bob his cell number)

So on Wednesday Miller calls the office. (surprise, surprise Bob didn't call back again) He finally gets Bob and Bob tells him that he never called because he was trying desprately to track down the truck driver and having no luck. Miller told Bob that was awfully funny because he and the receptionist managed to get the driver on the phone in a matter of minutes. (they could not talk to him as he only speaks spanishand neither Miller or the receptionist does)

He then told Bob that he was giving him a break saying the toys were accidentally taken because he has proof they were told to take only the black bag on the bench and them removing the toys was theft as far as the law is concerned. So Bob was going to find the truck, find the drop off location and he was goiong there. He said if the toys were there they were being delivered back to my door, if the toys were sold, he would be giving us replacement value and if the toys never made it off the truck he was charging the driver with theft and Bob for covering it up.
He also told Bob he was contacting his boss and his boss' boss so they would know how Bob was representing the charity.

Miller then told me he has today off too but he would be going to the station to call Bob again and ask him just what the h@ll he thought he was doing coming here uninvited and questioning a minor. He said he'd call me today if anything good happpened, otherwise I would hear from him Friday.

I told Miller if he was here he would be getting a hug! I can't believe how fantastic this officer is! I will certainly be writing a letter to the chief of police and the local papers

I also didn't want to contact the chartiy again without talking to Miller - he is handling this so well I don't want to step on his toes!

I'll keep everyone posted!

Lynnie
07-26-2007, 08:51 PM
wow

thanks for the update

what a great police officer

hope you get the toys, but regardless, it looks like Bob will have to do the right thing.

don't you love people who care about what is right, and really care about doing their job and doing the right thing like Officer Miller - its so refreshing, especially after you run into so many jerks these days. heck, i want to write a letter on his behalf, too, and bake him some brownies !!

Sillygirl
07-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow!

Bob sounds WAY crazy.

Does the charity have a board - usually well-respected members of the community? I'd be contacting them as well as the media.

DrSally
07-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, it is really unbelievable how the charity is treating you. The phone call would have had my blood boiling. I'm sure he was just trying to give you the run around so you would give up. It is just almost bizarre that he would come to your house and intimidate a kid about this! Thank heavens for the police officer. He is really doing a wonderful job with this. I'm sure he's personally into getthing this resloved now that he's seen what an A#@ this guy was. If this police officer wasn't doing such a fantastic job, I might say to contact a lawyer, but I have a feeling he will get results. I mean, you have a receipt for the items, so how in the world can they refute that they even took them.

ETA: I think contacting a board member is an excellent idea. That's who the employees answer to, and they have the most concern for the organizations image and mission. I would do that before contacting a media outlet.

tarabenet
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Hooray for Officer Miller! And for you and DH for sticking with itand not taking that kind of treatment from Bad Manager Bob. The Cancer Society really needs to ditch him.

KBecks
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
You seriously got a freaking AWESOME police officer.
I hope you get resolution soon.

gatorsmom
07-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Wow. Thanks for the great update. I was stewing when I read Bob's response to the situation. Just a wild hunch but I bet this isn't the first time this has happened. And I feel bad for all the poor people who thought they didn't have any recourse.

I love officer Miller!!!! Where can I send my donation to the "Officer Miller is the Best" fund?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

lizajane
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
i am so excited about the next installment of this reality tv show!!! err... i am sorry. i mean your life. it is just getting all exciting and i am rooting for officer miller to kick some manager bob arse.
:)

Melanie
07-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, that is just unreal! I'm glad you got an officer who is on your side this time.

denna
07-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Wow Dena what a change. This manager is a real @$$hole! I cant believe this guy. Thankfully you got a nice police officer this time and I think a letter to the Cheif and local paper is a great idea!

Hope the news is good and if you cant get the orginal stuff back I hope you can at least get the money to be able to replace it.

GL and keep these updates coming :).

kijip
07-27-2007, 03:21 AM
>Wow!
>
>Bob sounds WAY crazy.
>
>Does the charity have a board - usually well-respected members
>of the community? I'd be contacting them as well as the
>media.

This is a good point. The board of the Cancer Society can either fire him if he is the director or have the director fire him. Or at least rip him a new one. What bad publicity for them, even if it is just word of mouth. As for Bob claiming they are not liable because they are a non-profit, ha ha ha. He should take a look at the insurance binders of most reputable non-profits. As a non-profit manager and fund raiser, I can't fathom his reasoning behind his response. It does my organization no good if I run around pissing off donors and the community at large. What an incompetent ass of a man. I would be bowled over to find out that Bob is an otherwise nice, efficient and valuable employee. If he is treating you like this, he is bound to be lacking...well just lacking.

All of the toys you described sound like lawn/yard toys. It seems incredible he would claim that they should not be there. I suppose he rips up people's tomato plants and takes their paving stones, since those are also in the yard?

And yay to the officer! What a great cop!

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

elizabethkott
07-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Officer Miller kicks massive butt!
And Manager Bob is like the conductor on the crazy train.
You should TOTALLY still call the local media if this situation isn't fully resolved by today. If not for any other reason than to call attention to the wonderful PO Miller!!!

o_mom
07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Wow. Just Wow.

I'm not sure which I am anticipating more.... this or reading Harry Potter. ;-)

Go Officer Miller!

o_mom
07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Is this the American Cancer Society or another organization? I ask because we donate to ACS and I would really reconsider if they don't resolve this.

kimbe
07-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Dena, I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of this. We (DH is even asking for updates about your story!!!) have been sitting on pins and needles waiting to see posts from you. I hope that you get this resolved really quickly and I hope that Bob-o gets what he deserves! What a total jerk!

Is there any way that you can contact the national/head office of the ACS? I am sure that they wouldn't mind hearing what happened and how Bob is acting! I agree with PP's too --- I think that the media needs to hear about this one!

Go Miller!
Boo Bob!
Sending resolution vibes to you and your family!

Radosti
07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
OMG!!! Please tell Officer Miller that he's got a fan club going and we all hope to have an "Officer Miller" on our side if something ever goes wrong in our lives.

I have to say that I got Officer Alderfer when a guy flipped out at me in a fit of road rage. Officer Alderfer was also awesome and I was very grateful to have him on my side throughout the ordeal. He told the guy that if it were his wife and child (I had DS in the car) that he threatened, he'd have a lot more to worry about than just being charged with Disorderly Conduct. I've never seen a guy who was so full of rage (enough to track me down 7 miles from the original incident to continue his attack) reduced to a stammering mess so quickly. Go Officer Alderfer!!!

jhrabosk
07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
One more mamma tuning in daily to hear your updates!

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and pursuing this to resolution. So many people don't and it just feeds self-righteous people like Manager Bob.

Can't wait to hear the next installment!

Jacksmommy2b
07-27-2007, 10:25 AM
The offical name of the charity is:

The American Cancer Foundation and Research Center

They are apparently NOT affiliated with the Cancer Society in any way.

The only number they have is a 1800 that calls the same people we have been talking to. The address is in TX (we are in PA)
The people at the 1-800 number won't give us any information in regards to other offices or supervisors. The also can't release information about distibution centers etc. I'm not pushing too hared right now - I'm going to let officer Miller handle things. He's been so awesome I don't want to step on his toes.

The more I hear the more I think we were taken from the get go and this charity is not on the level. I will be finding a new cancer based charity when all this is said and done!

"I am so excited about the next installment of this reality tv show!!! err... i am sorry. i mean your life."

Yeah...No kidding! I can't believe how crazy this whole thing has gotten!

maestramommy
07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
OMG!!!!

This is my first reply since you started but I've been following your saga since the beginning. It really sounds as though the organization is either extremely sloppy or just not on the level. You're so lucky to get Officer Miller. Hope he hauls Bob's @ss to jail if necessary!

Radosti
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Ahhhhh... that explains everything. We are also in PA and I've also had some contact with them. They are very secretive as to their purposes and I've never seen any proof out of them as to where this cancer research that they fund takes place. They have not commissioned scientific studies or anything else this type of charity funds.

After being unable to get any information out of them, I chose to donate items to other places. My husband used to laugh when I would hide all other items from our porch/lawn on the collection days. He thought I was going overboard as they require everything that's being donated to be labeled for them. I need to show him your thread now. Now I know why I was hiding stuff. I'm not paranoid, I just didn't want them to "mistakenly" help themselves to other stuff.

megs4413
07-27-2007, 01:50 PM
we have nothing but good things to say about the ACS, they were really there for us when DH was dx'd almost 3 years ago. they're a wonderful charity.

Radosti
07-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Their website to report Manager Bob's behavior:
http://www.acrcf.org/

Jacksmommy2b
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I got a call today from Officer Miller.

He said he finally got in contact with Lonnie. (Bob's supervisor - and believe it or not - Brother!)
Lonnie said that the driver accidentally grabbed Jack's toys because (drumoll please...) a lot of other people leave poor directions on what to take or leave more items out for the driver than they said they would - so he just grabbed everything.
(okay - now from the beginning DH an I never believed that the toys were taken maliciously but, the big excuse is other people don't tell them what to take so they take everything!?!?)

Then he said that they don't keep track of items or take inventory - but he called the ladies at the thrift store and they *think* they remember the toys coming in and they were in fair condition and all sold for a few dollars.
(That is total bull crap! J got all but one of those toys for his birthday May, 17th! So these toys are not even 3 months old - played with by one kid, still shiny and "fair condition" and worth a few dollars? If memory serves the life of a kettler should be more than a few months and the resale value is more than $8!)

Then he tells Miller that it was thier fault and they did take our stuff and since it's all gone they will give us money to replace them, but they won't give us the $300 we quoted them to replace the items.
(The quote was more like $325 and that is full replacement value and the cheapest retailers I could find) But he did generously remind Miller that we could always claim our :irked: "donation" on our taxes :irked: . (right - we aren't homeowners so the break won't do much not to mention if we're lucky we would get $.20 on the dollar for new stuff!)
Miller told me that the decision on what to do now was mine and that there unfortunately isn't really anymore he can do being a cop and not a lawyer :) He said he probably shouldn't even be mediating but he had really wanted to see this through and see us get our stuff back.
He told me that if I had an acceptable number in mind (um, yeah $300) I could tell him and he would give it to them, and I could always file with small claims court and notify the media. I told Miller I had to talk to DH and I would get back to him.

DH is still as angry as I am. Who do these guys think they are telling us how this will be settled? It's like they are saying "yeah - we did it, tough - take it or leave it" well, I guess that is exactly what they are saying :lol

I created a model of depreciating value (value of toy devided by months of manufaturer reccomended use = monthly value of toy. Monthly value x the (not even) three months we owned (4 of) them (7 months we owned the one) = depreciation. Original value - deprecition = Final number.)
Then I went to ebay and amazon and tried to find the same item in like condition. The totals were like $279 and $263 repectively.

So I left Miller a message with all that and I asked him to call me back.

Part of me doesn't want to settle for anything. (and its not about the money - My father has very generously offered to make up for what they don't give us to replace the stuff for J) The guys are wrong, they've treated us horribly, put us through a lot of crap and they should be held fully reponsible.
Another part of me says take whatever and be done with the whole mess.

If they don't agree to the number we can charge the driver with theft (I am really angry but I think holding the the poor (yet extremely stupid) driver that got caught up in this whole thing soley and legally responsible is just wrong) Call our lawyer and file a claim in small claims court and get every ounce of media attention we can muster. Oh, and try to reach anyone higher up in the organization and throw a fit there too.

I think regardless I'm writing letters to the papers and calling as high up in the organization as I can possibly get. I call it an organization because Miller refered to it as Bob's business. (I want to ask him when he calls back if it is a vaild non-profit or a for-profit that passes itself off as a non-profit)

Well, that's it.
I would love to hear what you girls think.

Dena

o_mom
07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I would put together all the value stuff you have (eBay, new cost, etc.) along with the original purchase reciepts. Offer to them that they can pay you the lesser amount $263 (because that's the most likely to actually get you something, not because it's what they SHOULD do). Tell them you would be happy to provide them the details of the valuations.

If they don't want to go for that, then either go after the driver or through the court. You could also try the media first - we have a local station that does segments on this where they help the person with a problem. I think small claims court you are not even allowed to have a lawyer, so other than a bunch of paperwork and time, you might not be out any money. It can be a real pain to actually collect the judgment, though.

jhrabosk
07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok...so they ARE a legit 501(c)(3), which was my first concern. (You can do a search at www.guidestar.org. There's another website where you can get the lowdown on charities, but it's not coming to me right now. If I remember, I'll post it.) This, of course, doesn't mean that they aren't doing something shady. :)

Honestly, if it were me (and this is easy to say from where I sit) and the money's not an issue, ask for the fair value, but don't waste your time on court and lawyers. I agree with you that the driver was stupid, but it sounds like your bigger issue is with the way its been handled.

Go up the ladder in the organization. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Let all of your local media know. If you're up for it, go on the IRS website and see if there's a place to file a complaint about a charity. And then find someone else to donate to.

Good luck!

denna
07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I think I would try to avoid going after the driver b/c like you said he is dense to say the least but I dont think he was being malicous. On the other hand the boss and his so called nepitistic supervisor has been horrible to you and completely avoiding the fact that they did something wrong in the first place. They have completely unwilling to help you and uncooperative w/ the police, and havent even grunted an apology throughout this whole ordeal. As much as I would want the whole ordeal over, I would want more to get back what was mine and too see these jerks pay for what they did. I think contacting local media is a good idea as well as small claims court. Maybe Officer Miller could even make a statement for you for the judge.

Good luck w/ this ordeal. I wish it could have been resolved less painfully.

urquie
07-27-2007, 04:05 PM
i bet judge judy would love to sink her teeth into bob :)

http://www.judgejudy.com/SubmitCase/submitcase.asp

sorry to hear about all your frustrations!

TracyBee
07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd try to settle with them for the $263.00 you mentioned earlier. Keep in mind that even in small claims court, you'll have to pay a filing fee, and here that fee is $53.00. Don't bother going to a lawyer, the fee will very quickly get to the point that you could have just replaced the items yourself and come out ahead. $300.00 just isn't enough to bother paying a lawyer for.

Even if you sued, you wouldn't get the replacement value of your items, you'll get the fair market value of them. Just as with a new car, these types of items lose value fast. So, if you can get close to what you paid for them with relatively little hassle, go that route.

Definitely alert the media. Although, I'd be surprised if the charity doesn't request that as a part of their settlement with you you agree NOT to disclose this to the media.

chlobo
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Do you have a local TV station that does expose on behalf of consumers? We have "Help me Hank". I'd want to expose them, both so you can get you money back and also because it sounds like they are not a legitimate charity and I'd hate to see others get scammed. I think taking it to the media would send a big message.

KBecks
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I think #1 is to give them as much documentation about the value (web site prices, reciepts, etc), and tell them that they have 24 hours to get you a check and an apology or you're going to tell the story of the stolen toys and their horrible handling of the matter to the local TV news stations, the better business bureau, all of the nonprofit governing agencies you can find and their organization's board of directors.

I actually think it would be fun to raise a ruckus and have a media show. Imagine the TV news local watchdog showing your house and your poor little boy whose toys were stolen, you showing the pictures and prices of the toys that were taken, a shot of the labeled bags that were left behind and your reasonable explanation of the mistake. Give the highlights of the rude treatment you got from Bob. Then they can put Bob on the air trying to give his side. Muahahahaha. Their donations will dwindle. And honest to God, they deserve that to happen to them.

They probably did sell your Kettler for $5, BTW.

It is probably too late to check the thrift shops for your stuff, but maybe you still should????

himom
07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I think you should take this to your local media ASAP. The way this manager was acting indicates that you are not the first this has happened to and you will not be the last. The organization needs to take responsibilities for this if it was, indeed, a mistake.

However, from the hissy fits "Bob" threw and his other reactions, I'm inclined to think there is more going on than meets the eye. Those toys are worth money if sold on someplace like Craigslist. It seems as though someone in the organization -- the driver, the manager, the supervisors, or more than one of them -- are making their own little profit on the side. It's just too fishy.

Next people who are donating their 92 Celica will find their brand-new Sienna has been towed and "accidentally" sold, and oops, sorry, you can't get it back.

And even if the entire situation was brought about by innocent mistakes, it still needs to be brought to the media's attention that this organization is being run by incompetent people. The way it is running now, there is no way the money intended for cancer patients or research is being utilized efficiently. The drivers should be competent no matter what language they speak, and the managers must be able to communicate with their drivers. A language barrier is no excuse for this type of behavior. If I were in your community I would want to know about this so that I can make donations to a charity that is actually using my donation properly.

Is this the American Cancer Society? I would hope the national organization would get involved and remove this man from this position. They need to keep up their reputation if they want to continue to receive donations.

ETA: Sorry, I just read back and caught the part about it not being the ACS (thank goodness!). I do think going to the media is a good idea. This charity sounds really odd.

chlobo
07-28-2007, 06:47 AM
I think the fact that Bob's supervisor is his brother is a big red flag. I think they are a scam charity and I bet Bob & his brother get big fat salaries.

elephantmeg
07-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I agree! I'd keep after it and I really, really hope you get the money back!

Jacksmommy2b
07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I am so angry I could scream!

We left a bag on our front bench for the cancer society. They came when no one was here - left the bag and instead took all of my son's outside toys!
His brand new cozy coupe, his kettler tryke, his slide, his little ride on john deere tractor. A few hundred dollars in new stuff! (Jack is only 1!)
We left the info when we called that a bag would be left on the freaking bench and do not take the bench!
God I am soo PO'ed.
DH just left a message for them.
Anyone know my chances of getting our stuff back?

Thanks,

Melanie
07-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd settle with them, then contact the local media or at the very least write a bunch of 'letters to the editor,' to warn other parents to find other places to donate.

Fairy
07-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Me, too.

Ah, not the ACS. Nevermind.

Fairy
07-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I completely remember your story! Wow, I remember reading that with the same utter fascination I'm reading this one. Yeah, that guy was insane.

Marisa6826
07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Wasn't that the guy that followed you to the grocery store?

What a creepy freak!

-m

Fairy
07-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Oh. My. God.

I've now read this thread all the way thru -- every single word -- and I am appalled. I also have an odd sense of satisfaction, like I was able to read a whole story al the way thru without getting sidetracked. Anyway, I'm just so sorry you have gone thru this. I, like many of us, have donated this way in the past (Veitnam Veterans for us). I stopped doing that when the local news ran a sotry on a scam different from what you're going thru. I feel just terrible for you, and I'm so proud that you have seen this thru and have done everything smart and right and haven't given up. Here are some thoughts based on what I've read in the entire thread so far -->

* A have something of a background in law. Unfortunately, the cost to file a small claim is going to quickly overtake the compensatory damages you're requesting in the first place. Which is what makes this all truly suck. Unless you have a lawyer in the family or will do it for free, their fee will be more than your damages, as well.

* Judge Judy is my fave. I don't think she'll be able to touch this case cuz it's against a 501(c)(3), and I don't think they can do those. I think all judge shows are the same in that regard. However, being a fan, I had also thought of her, so if nothing else, it's worth checking out at least.

* The driver speaking only Spanish is a big issue. Unless you get an interpreter and compel his cooperation, you're going to have a tough time. I am quite sure that him being "unable" to communicate was not by any means an accident.

* This whole operation smells of scam. You know how easy it is to become an 501(c)(3)? Real easy. I could do it right now with my Star Trek fan club. We haven't cuz it costs money to file, which isn't expensive, but we're a tiny little club, so we don't bother and stay a 501(c)(7) by default. Like someone said, just cuz they're a legit org in the eyes of the law doesn't mean they're not up to soemthing shady. And lemme tell ya, Bob & Lonnie are SHADY.

* Media. Media, media, media, media. You must get with the media. All of them. Your local paper, your media market's major newspaper, every single affiliate news station. The BBB, any other watchdog organizations for shady charities. Research this org on the web, find other bulletin boards about them. You know if it happened to you, like you said, other people have suffered and thought they had no recourse. Or maybe they DID and have done something about it. No matter what you do, you must go to the media. I can write the pack right now . . . ah, my reporting days.

* Flier your neighborhood. Tell them your story. Get a free email address specifically for them to contact you about this. Warn people off of this organization. Do the same for local businesses if you think they could be impacted. If you know where Bob's office is, go to his landlord. Notify the other people in his building that he's got shady practices and that they should know who they're sharing space with. Make his life hell.

* I think your model of compensatin is fair, and I also think settling for eBay price is also fair. In my experience, threat of lawsuit is enough to get what you want, even if you haven't talked to their lawyer. Bluffs work for people who scam, cuz it could mean the end of their scam. So, tell him your final price, tell him that if he does not comply, he will hear from your attorney. if you know anyone who is an attorney who is willing to do you a favor, ask them to actually make the call for you to put teeth behind it. Dumbass ain't gonna know any better.

* Jumpin' on the Officer Miller Love Bus. When you talk to him, please tell him that your parenting chat board has a Love Bus dedicated to him, and that there are quite a few people jumping on. Also tell him that his wife is also a member of the Love Bus, as her outrage made me all melty.

YOU GO! Go, go, go!

-- Fairy

DrSally
07-28-2007, 03:41 PM
THinking of Fairy's second to last point. Just getting a certified letter outlining the basic situation, plus what you will accept as payment--on lawyer's stationary--may be enough to produce action. We were wrongfully pursued by an HVAC company who did shoddy work to fix a problem they created, and then tried to bill us $600. We actually didn't have to go that far to make the bill disappear, but that was our next step. Many workplaces have EAP's where you can consult with a lawyer for free for the first meeting.

I agree with other's about settling, BUT, based on they way they've been acting, $263 is prob not what they're thinking, they're prob thinking $40 is fair, which wouldn't help you at all.

bubbaray
07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Nodding in agreement....

Definitely a media situation.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

bostonsmama
07-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh. My. Gosh!! I just read every single inch of type space here and agree with everything Fairy said. Media, media, media! Bob's actions made my blood boil just READING about it, so bless your heart for having to go through it yourself. How intrusive to come onto your property, your home! I would BOTH attempt to get your money back at the fair market value you assessed AND alert the media (both local TV news station and major circulating newspaper). It will be the impetus for embarrassment and change...and hopefully the dissolution of this phony, mis-managed company. After that, I'd file a restraining order against Bob and Lonnie and ask about charges for criminal trespass (although you'll have to research the laws in your state).

Hugs, girlie. Hopefully once you alert the media you might get offers from people to help replace some of your son's toys and not have to worry about not getting ample replacement value.

gatorsmom
07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree completely with Fairy. Sounds like excellent advice. However, it sounds like a lot of work. I'd love to see these people get what is coming to them.

So, if you are willing to delegate and there is anything I can do, I'd be happy to help. I'd be happy to do any internet searching, drafting up neighborhood flyers, baking brownies for Officer Miller.....

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

Fairy
07-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Me, too! Me too me too!! I join Lisa in offering to help with ... ya know, somethin! Seriously, if Lisa wants to do the brownie making for Chief Dude Miller, I'd be happy to make your flier (I just am a terrible cook, I don't want to make him sick). I'm pushing the flier idea to warn your neighbors. If you want to PM me offline, get me any info you want on it, I'll MAKE your flier. And ya know what? I'm so outraged that whomever makes your flier, I'll even copy them and mail them to you on my dime. I mean it.

I've been more disgusted by the minute.

lisams
07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Totally agree - get the media involved. That will get someone's attention pretty quickly (and the public has a right to be warned about this organization).

I'm so angry for you - this is absolutely ridiculous.

LexyLou
07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
OMG! I'm in total awe and shock. Do you have something like a 5 on your side or some other type of news station that does exposes? I would definitely get them involved. There is nothing right about this! I can't believe a good deed by you has turned in to something so horrible.

http://b2.lilypie.com/LwDDm4/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/SreFm4/.png

fortato
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the update!
I'm so glad you've got a great police officer on your side!

Keep us posted on the next chapter.

How is Jack handling it?

oneplustwo
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Oh, that is just awful! Here you are, trying to help out the society with a donation, and they steal from you. Then they give you the run-around and act all "oopsie." Unbelievable! I am just speechless. I strongly agree with PPS, file a police report, follow up with the society with a specific request on how to make it up to you -- which should be the dollar figure you will need to replace the toys. Please do give us an update on what happens!

ETA: Argh, this is the first time I've experienced the new board set-up for following a thread, apparently. Or maybe b/c the thread is so long, it's broken up into the subthreads. In any case, I got lost in them -- thought I'd read all the posts, never saw the updates. Ignore my post!!

Jacksmommy2b
08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Last I had talked to Officer Miller last week I had given him the numbers I came up with for 'depriciated value'. I figured we wouldn't here from him over the weekend anyway. Saturday I get a new card in the mail asking for 'donations' to the ACFRC and upon reading the fine print I see a note that says they "are unable to accept donations of ....bicycles...large plastic toys....." $#^!@3@! So apparently they don't even accept donations of the stuff they took!!!!!

Officer Miller asked that we go through him and not contact Bob or Lonnie on our own.

I left Officer Miller another message this one including the info on the card and still didn't hear anything. In the mean time my DH called a lawyer friend and asked him what he suggested. Lawyer said to ask officer Miller to convey an ultimatum give us the full retail of the toys or we are going to file in small claims court, press charges wherever we can and alert the media. Then he told us to find the exact address for the philly branch and go into philly and file small claims court.

Yesterday DH left officer Miller a message telling him what the lawyer suggested. We still haven't heard back.
I'm planning on giving Officer Miller until Friday (last week he was off Wed and Thurs) and if he still doesn't return our calls I'm going to call the ACFRC on my own and tell them what we are planning on doing. (It also seemed that he didn't call me unless Bob or Lonnie got back to him so I asuming he hasn't heard from them.
I really appreciate everything Officer Miller has done, but I haven't heard from him in almost a week and I'm getting sick of waiting.
Now I just have to decide do I call the "what's bugging you?" TV line before or after I file in small claims court. My gut says try the media first but I'm not sure if not filling a small claims suit will look like we aren't doing anything about it.
Suggestions?

As usual, I'll keep you posted and thanks so much to everyone for your kind words and offers of help. I can't tell you how much it means to me!

o_mom
08-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I would call the TV before filing. Play it up that you are "trying to avoid suing a charity". Good Luck! We are all rooting for you! :-)

npace19147
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I have been following this saga with amazement, it really is like a reality show...sorry you are going through this! I live in Philly and if you do call the media, let us know, I would love to see the TV guys go after these scammers! Good luck!

Fairy
08-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Exactly my thoughts.

VClute
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok, I just read this whole thing and I am waiting on pins and needles to hear how this whole thing turns out!

I'm also loving Officer Miller. I have a vision of him as a fit clean cut good-looking man in uniform. If he's not, don't tell me. :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07

Jacksmommy2b
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
"I'm also loving Officer Miller. I have a vision of him as a fit clean cut good-looking man in uniform. If he's not, don't tell me."

:blush:
He sooooooo totally is......swoon.....

clc053103
08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I am in PA as well- Bucks Co- and get the ACFRC postcards monthly. I always say "next time" I'll call for a pick up- now they can guarantee, I will never be calling. This is just insane!!!!!!

Yes, alert the media. Don't just call the local news- call the local papers too- there's always someone looking for a good human interest story. Maybe that will guilt them into doing the right thing.

Oh- and ditto about Officer Miller- what a guy!

Melaniee
08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
The wait is too much for me, and they're not even my Dc's toys!

Come on Officer McSwooney, where's the toys?!

Jacksmommy2b
08-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Officer Miller called DH yesterday and told him that he had been out of town on training and just got all our messages.

(I wish he would have said something the last time we talked! Not that it is my business where he is - it just would have been nice to not be frustrated all last week!)

Anyway he said that he really believed if we told them to give us a number under $300 they would give it to us just to be done with it.
So, DH says $280 (the number I came up with on my own depreciation value scale) Officer Miller says he'll call Lonnie and get back to us.

5 Minutes later Officer Miller calls back and says he'll have a check for us on Monday! (Lonnie is going to give it to officer Miller and Officer Miller is coming over Monday to drop it off!)

I am so psyched! $280 is about $50 less than it is going to cost us to replace everything but it's certainly a h@ll of a lot better than the nothing they had told us we'd get all along!

Yay again for officer Miller!

DH and I are going to get Jack the Police Cozy Coupe in honor of his new hero and we're going to send him picures along with some sort of store bought baked good (don't want to hurt the guy with my cooking!)

I'm also writing a letter to chief of police and letters to the editor of our local papers (to praise officer Miller and warn others about the ACFRC.) I'll post it when I get it written.

I'm planning on telling Officer Miller about his new fan club :) and hopefully I'll be able to convince him to get a pic with Jack that I can share with all of you!

I am just so excited - by this time next week my little guy will have outdoor toys again!

Thanks to everyone who read this whole crazy thread!

o_mom
08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
YAY!!! I *HEART* Officer Miller!!! Shall we get t-shirts made?

gatorsmom
08-04-2007, 07:56 PM
You should be so proud of yourself for sticking through this!!! It has been a huge headache and a lot of work for you but you stuck to your guns!!!

Please do send a letter to your local paper and the chief of police. Others should definitely be warned about these people. I'm sure there have been other heart-broken kids with parents who just didn't/weren't able to fight these people.

Way to go Officer Miller!!! Give me an O! Give me an F! Give me another F! (you get the picture)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

DrSally
08-04-2007, 08:11 PM
That is so awesome! You'll be getting most of your $$ back and won't have to have a long drawn out fight. I agree to write the papers still, you'll warn people away from this crazy organization, and give some props to Miller.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Wow that is truly awesome! I am so glad that this ended well! I have been eagerly awaiting a positive update. So glad that Jack will have all his toys back finally. I agree about writing to the paper. People need to be warned. Way to stick it out and get results!

Oh, and yay Officer Miller! He rocks!

oneplustwo
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Yay, yay, yay! I'm now holding my breath till Office Miller gets that check in his hands for you on Monday. Gulp, deep breath in and .... hold . . .!

Can we start a collection to clone Officer Miller? So every town can have him?

fortato
08-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Yay!!!

I am so glad this is finally going to be resolved!! Officer Miller sounds like a fantastic guy!

I hope Jack enjoys his new coupe!!

ilovetivo
08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Amazing!!! I just read this whole thread. I'm in McSwoony's fan club too!!! Are you going to cc all your letters to McSwoony too? Maybe add him to your holiday card list too.

Even with a good final result, I'd still file a BBB report too (if you're not already). I love the idea of alerting your neighbors. I'm not so sure the driver was clueless. He could have pretended not to speak english. Someone had to communicate with him. He had to know about the item size policy.

WIll all the new items fit in your garage? Maybe a toy shed is in order :) LOVE the police crazy coupe idea!! You can paint Officer Miller on it as Jack's partner. Definitely try to get a pic of them together.

I can't wait until we hear more on monday. I'll be holding my breath until the check clears. Good luck!

Fairy
08-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Woo hoo!!! Yay to McSwooney, ya to you and DH, Yay to Jack who is getting his toys back! Thrilled htis has worked out.

You go on the media!

Melanie
08-05-2007, 01:34 AM
YAY OFFICER MILLER!!!!

I'm so happy for you all. I think the letters and photo are a fantastic idea.

kimbe
08-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Hooray! I am so happy that your are going to be able to replace your toys. I CAN'T WAIT to see the pics of the police cozy coupe --- what a great idea!!!

I am glad that there are people like Officer Miller out there --- gives me a little hope for this world.

Congratulations again! (And thanks for the real life drama for all of us to read! ;)!)

maestramommy
08-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Yay for Officer Miller! Sounds like he really went to bat for you guys! I'm glad you managed to get some amount of compensation from those idiots!

KBecks
08-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm so glad it worked out.

LexyLou
08-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm so glad that it worked out, but I'm still just so shocked at what happened in the first place. Most definitely write to the local papers about this organization! That's horrible.

http://b2.lilypie.com/LwDDm4/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/SreFm4/.png

Kungjo
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Glad that everyhting worked out for you. Officer Miller was soooo wonderful. Can't wait to see a picture of him.

Jacksmommy2b
08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Okay so Officer Miller said he would stop by on Monday with a check for us for $280 from the ACFRC. It is currently Wednesday night and still no Officer Miller or check for $280......I guess I should have known it was not going to be that easy.

I called the station, again, and he is off today. (I think he is off on Wednesdays and Thursdays) I left him a message anyway asking that he just let me know if the ACFRC guys never dropped the check off. (I'm assuming this is what happened, I can't really imagine why we wouldn't get it otherwise)

Well, I guess we're just back to waiting....

On a more positive note I found the exact police cozy coupe we were looking for in perfect condition at a consignment store for only $25 so that will help make up for what we aren't getting back (if we are in fact getting anything at all....)

Dena

DrSally
08-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Good find on the cozy coupe! If he didn't get the check, I'm sure he's working on it. After all this, I don't think he's let it go.

katydid1971
08-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been worried all week that something like this would happen (these people haven't been to their word to this point) Humm I'm wondering who's yard the Police car cozy coupe was taken, just kidding. I hope you get your check soon!!!!
Sarah

katydid1971
08-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been worried all week that something like this would happen (these people haven't been to their word to this point) Humm I'm wondering who's yard the Police car cozy coupe was taken, just kidding. I hope you get your check soon!!!!
Sarah

amandabea
08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
argh! I just read through the whole post and I'm shocked and appalled by these people. I absolutely can't believe it. I love Officer Miller! Please post an update as soon as something happens.
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. I wanna kick their a** and I'm not a confrontational person!

Amanda

amandabea
08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
argh! I just read through the whole post and I'm shocked and appalled by these people. I absolutely can't believe it. I love Officer Miller! Please post an update as soon as something happens.
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. I wanna kick their a** and I'm not a confrontational person!

Amanda

ktshea
08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow. All I can say is WOW. I read the first part of your story when it first happened and just stopped by to get an update. Hope you get your money soon. And I love that you have a police car cozy coupe now. :)

Side note: I'm thinking the driver of that van wasn't some random guy who doesn't speak English -- it's actually Bob! Seriously, if his brother is his boss it sounds like a two-bit operation...

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I had a charity come pick things up at my house yesterday (totally different charity; I'm in WA state) and, armed with my knowledge of what had happened to you, taped huge signs saying "DO NOT TAKE" on our porch bench so they wouldn't take it, lol. And I put DD's toys away. Just thought it might make you feel a teensy bit better, knowing that you've helped others. I would have NEVER thought to stake my claim to my own stuff. Jeez.

ilovetivo
09-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Any update?

MMEand1
09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Wondering the same thing...Did you get a check or anything???
MP

mommy_someday
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
What an insane story! I just read it for the first time - in it's entirety - and am pretty sure my jaw will be permanently on the floor. Un-freakin'-believable! I agree with all the advice you've gotten on here and I hope you get your compensation soon. Count me in as another rider on the McSwooney Love Bus - he's awesome! What a crazy situation...I hope it's resolved for you soon.

Jacksmommy2b
09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Sorry for not updating sooner but there hasn't been a whole lot to say!

Officer Miller called three weeks ago and said that he just got a call from Lonnie saying that he was so sorry he didn't drop off the check but they had simply forgotten. (grrrrrrrrrrrr) He said they would be down either August 22nd (Wed) or the 23rd (Thurs) with it.
Officer Miller is off both days so he said he would drop it off on Friday the 24th.
Guess what? No Lonnie, No Check, No officer Miller.

I just talked to Officer Miller a few minutes ago, he acctually stopped by to talk to us in person :)
He said that he was so sorry for not getting to us sooner but they have been super busy. He said that he calls every week and only gets a call back when Lonnie is going to lie to him about bringing us a check. He said he can't tell us for sure if Lonnie is ever planning on really bringing us any money but that he was going to call Lonnie tomorrow and tell him that he is going to advise us to take him (Lonnie) to small claims court where he (Officer Miller) will happily testify that Lonnie has not only agreed to pay us $280.00 but that he has made several arrangements to drop off the money and never showed.

So that's it for now. Still waiting, still angry and still loving Officer Miller.

I'll keep you all posted!

Dena

Melanie
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry. I can't believe this guy runs a charity. Sickening.

maestramommy
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Please do! This Lonnie needs to be hit over the head already.

gatorsmom
09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Ugh, I just KNEW the promise of a check was too good to be true. What a jack a**. With these pregnancy hormones blazing, I'd drag that jerk to court and have the media on full alert.

Any bets on when (if ever) you see that check?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

Masik
09-06-2007, 12:14 AM
OH. MY. GOODNESS!
I JUST found this thread and I feel so sorry for your little guy and SO ANGRY for you guys! I wouldn't settle for $280 check now, I would ask for a full refund! And if it ever will be dragged to a small claims court, I'd ask for moral damage coverage (or what is a legal term for such things?) as well!
What a bunch of j**ks! KUDOS to Officer Miller!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k197/Masik_Kolbasik/ourfamily-1.jpg

Melanie
09-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Dena, is it the actual "American Cancer Society?" If so, I'd contact their national headquarters and let them know how their name is being just smeared by this guy. Maybe he can get some pressure from above to pay you.

o_mom
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
It is not the ACS - there are a couple posts upthread about it. It is the American Cancer Research Foundation (or something like that).

emilys_mom
09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Please, please, please go to the media. Regardless of whether the driver speaks English or not, I don't doubt that he doesn't have ***instructions*** to take everything that's not nailed down. If you warn your neighbors and no one gives to them anymore, the thieves won't even have reason to come to your neighborhood, and without donations they won't be able to continue to operate.

saschalicks
09-10-2007, 01:16 AM
OK so I just read this whole thing for the first time. You realize that this all happened about 6 weeks ago and you have no money?

I have a legal background and I think small claims court is the way to go. You may have fees, but at least it will get their a$$es in gear.

Have you contacted the media?

OMG! I'm in love w/Officer Miller!! He is definitely McSwooney as someone else said. He really does make me think that so many cops get a bad rap.

I am now glued to this so please keep us updated. I'm even subscribing to this thread.

o_mom
09-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Bump!