PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings of periodontal disease-who me?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
No,surely you're talking to the invisible lady behind me.
So i'm laying there getting my teeth cleaned and the hygenist says."did you know you have the beginnings of periodontal disease?" WTF??!! Holy MONKEYS! Great,just freaking great. Oh, and dh has it too. How can that be he brushes more than I do, but the xrays don't lie, there's definate bone loss, awwww crud,double crud.
Why did I have to go, why did I say-sure dh,lets get dental insurance.Sounds great. Noooo-I could have lived the rest of my days in blissfull ignorance, but I just HAD to be responsible. Thank god he's going in for treatment before me so at least I'll be able to see how bad the treatment is going to hurt.
I'm so afraid of the dentist anyway. Now I find out about this. Has anyone else ever had periodontal disease? Does it hurt to have treatment? I'm kind of scared, some information might make it less scary.Thanks

Momof3Labs
07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Is this a new dentist trying to push something on you to make money?

What kind of treatment are they doing? Are they sending you to a periodontist? I'd ask a lot of questions and make sure that you are comfortable with this diagnosis; even get a second opinion if you want.

JBaxter
07-25-2007, 08:49 AM
I emailed you but I agree with the pp. You have also been breastfeedign for a while and the can cause hormonal changes in your gums.

kimbe
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree with pp's. Go to a new dentist! After we moved, DH went to a dentist here (six months after his last appointment) and was give a LIST of things that were wrong with his teeth AND a folder that contained a list of follow up appointments and a financial estimate! Hello --- all that can go wrong in six months!!!! You could tell by the folder that they were just looking to make money. We tried a new dentist and magically everything is just fine!

At least they cleaned your teeth...DH "needed" another appointment because his teeth were "so bad" they didn't have time to do it that day. Like I said, he had been to the dentist six months before!

Call them, pick up your x-rays and RUN to another dentist!

gatorsmom
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, definitely go to another dentist- especially if you AND DH mysteriously develop periodontal disease at the same time. hmmm, something's fishy.

However, if it turns out you DO have the beginning stages of periodontal disease, be thankful you caught it early. My mother had it and had serious pain in her jaw. She was in agony until she got it treated (the treatment was no picnic either, however.)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I called my old dentist about this and they really want to see us for a second opinion. I only went to the new guy because he was closer to us. The old dentist is a 45 min. drive away.
To top it off at dinner tonight dh told me that when the dentist was looking at his teeth he made an inappropriate remark.
Dentist-I can see from your teeth that you have a lot of stress in your life.
Dh-well,yeah, you know.
Dentist-yep,a wife and kids will do that to you.
Dh- oh nah, my stresses started long before that.
Dentist- well, it's always about a woman in then end though isn't it.

WHAT!!! Excuse me. Ok now we're definatly finding someone else. My mil has a great dentist also. God news for you buddy,we're outta here and I want my xrays.
I asked the receptionist to email them to me today. she says she tried several times and couldn't do it but the more technicalyy savvy gal will be there tomorrow, I really hope they send them so I can email them to the other dentist.