PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! What is she thinking?!?!?!

katydid1971
08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Today I was out and about and pulled behind a Mercedes station wagon with two young girls in the back. I don't know if they were in seats or just in the back, they were sitting facing backwards behind the middle row. One of the girls looked only slightly older than my 2 year old son the other wasn't six (I can tell, I use to teach Kindergarten and 1st grade). Neithor was in a car seat or a seatbelt. This person has a pretty expensive car but doesn't make sure that the girls are in carseats?!?! WTH was this woman thinking?!?! I almost called th cops but she turned off before I had a chance to get her licence number. I don't know why this is upsetting me so much but I was really bothered by it.
Sarah

cmo
08-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I have seen a similar situation as the one you saw with an acquaintance of mine. She has an older Mercedes, with an old-fashioned station wagon rear-facing 3rd row. That's where her 5 & 6 year old kids ride. Granted, they do have booster seats, but still, the whole set-up makes me a nervous & squeamish!

Melaniee
08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
>I have seen a similar situation as the one you saw with an
>acquaintance of mine. She has an older Mercedes, with an
>old-fashioned station wagon rear-facing 3rd row. That's where
>her 5 & 6 year old kids ride. Granted, they do have booster
>seats, but still, the whole set-up makes me a nervous &
>squeamish!

rear-facing is safer than forward facing, provided they're properly restrained.

kellyotn
08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
No seatbelts! Ugh.

I know some Volvos (older, I believe) have seats that face backwards, and are safe. The seatbelts are specially sized for "big kids" to not need to use a booster when they might otherwise still need to use one. But, yeah you need to actually USE said seatbelts!

punkrockmama
08-03-2007, 06:41 PM
That's insane. I'm so sorry that she turned before you got her #. I'm sure that just burned you up. I hope her poor kiddos are safe and that lady wakes up. :(

cmo
08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm glad to hear that! I have wondered about the safety of this type of set-up in a rear-end collision, but know that one can't ever know what kind of accident, if any, will befall any given car.