PDA

View Full Version : MY STROLLER WAS STOLEN!!

rachelh
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
My 4 month old Rock Star Baby was stolen!! I literally cannot stop dwelling on it! I contemplated for months on what stroller to buy and then saved up for even longer to actually get it - only to have it stolen by some thoughtless individual. My neighborhood is quite city like but its very safe here and it standard here to leave your stroller outside and nothing ever happens. I sent my husband to file a police report (you know just in case I see someone pushing it in the mall or something - yeah right :)

I have been combing thru ebay and craigs list just in case this horrible person is going to try and sell it, but I havent found anything. :(

Now the big decision is what to do...my daughter is one and loved it...but i just cant bring myself to spend close to $500 again. I just dont have that type of money to throw around (In addition to the fact that i just lost my job last week! Perfect timing.)

Such a bummer. I want to cry.

Rachel

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. A pox on the persons who took it.

SAHMIL
08-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry to hear that! That's just awful! I hope the police will be able to do something. Did you register it with teh manufacturer and do you think they could help you? It's worth a shot. Or how about your homeowners' insurance?

BTW, not to go off on a tangent, but I don't know if this exists anywhere else, and I know it wasn't in a mall, but it does bug me how in some restaurants, particularly those in shopping malls, have "stroller parking" areas. I understand the need for walking room and stuff, but this is a testimony to the fact that those "stroller parking" areas are not a good idea because anyone could walk off with one.

rachelh
08-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your relpy.

Unfortunately, I did not register it, but that will only do me good if I come across the stroller, correct?
I also dont own a home so no insurance to cover that. :(

Part of me wants to run out and buy the stoller again, but on the other hand, maybe I should just buy something super cheap in the meantime, or I am also thinking about calling a local baby "charity" that may have stollers to lend out but they are probably super old and I hate to admit it but I became kinda spoiled with the Rock Star. My husband is being super chilled out about it and is also really upset, so he said he will this go get another one this week but I cant bring myself to spend another $400 plus on this - escpecially since I have the bassinet and car seat adapter sitting here. All I really need is the stroller and raincover (that was in basket with a really good bottle of wine that was for somoene we were visiting later that evening. So not only did they get a free stoller but they got to toast to it also!)

Rachel

HannaAddict
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Reporting this to homeowner's insurance would be a big mistake. I can't imagine that they would pay a anything since the deductible is surely more than $500, I don't know if you can even get a lower homeowern's deductible. Premiums would be increased and you could even be cancelled. There is a big issue now with insurance companies tracking policyholder's questions asking about making a claim and dinging the policy holder even if they don't make a claim. Crazy isn't it. Addresses are tracked in a credit report type system for inquiries as well as claims. Save the homeowners insurance for a big loss so it will be there when you need it.

I'm so sorry about the OP's stroller though, that is terrible.

Kimberly

DrSally
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm so sorry!!! That is just terrible.

jeminaal
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Oh my goodness...I'm so sorry that your stroller was stolen. :(

I can totally feel your pain. We had a 2004 Maclaren Twin Traveller that was stolen from us at an amusement park. I was so sad about that and couldn't believe someone would do such a thing.

I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping your stroller to returns to you and your DD.

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Melanie
08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry. :( I think combing the For Sale ads is the way to go, for sure. You also might want to call all the local consignment shops to see if they've taken it there for a quick buck, and if not leave your # in case they do.

I'm not overly familiar with that stroller, so are you saying you can only buy it completely with the accessories? If that is the case, I'd try contacting the manufacturer and tug on some heart strings to see if there is anyway they might be able to sell you just the stroller at a reduce rate.

You might want to etch something into the next stroller you get, in an inconspicuous place (but visible from just standing near it - to you) for identifying purposes. I've never done it myself, but I don't leave mine parked outside.

rachelh
08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Nothing yet on any For Sale ads, but I guess if they were to sell it maybe they would wait a bit so its not so obvious. But I know this is all wishful thinking...I don't think I will find it.

I actually got a tiny rip in the hood right when i got it (so small that its really not noticeable but I could spot it) and I was so upset when it happened but now it can actually help me identify it -if I ever do come across it. I will literally walk over to me people I see with this stroller and strike up conversation just to get a look at the hood! I don't see the stroller often, so I would definitely be suspicious if I see someone with it around here.

Anyways...I am definitely going to put in a call to the manufacturer today. Thanks for the idea! Will let you know how it goes.

o_mom
08-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Check with your credit card company. Many offer theft insurance on purchases for a limited amount of time 3-6 months. It may be worth a call.

DrSally
08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
That's a good idea. My card used to offer 1 year theft/damage insurance on purchases.

gatorsmom
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
File a police report and don't lose hope!! I say this because a few years ago our boat was broken into and they stole the stereo and face plate (which DH stupidly stored in the unlocked glove box of the boat). We called the police and they said not to get our hopes up.

Well, a couple of months later, they found it!! Some teenage kids had stolen it and resold it for drug money. One of their friends was driving around with it in their car. We got it back and it still works great. It probably wasn't even worth $500.

So, don't lose hope!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

LexyLou
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh, that's just horrible. I really hope the police find it.

http://b2.lilypie.com/LwDDm4/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/SreFm4/.png

peasprout
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Definitely call your credit card company. I am a loyal Citibank card member now because they replaced my brand new P3 after DH ran over it with his car. I really didn't think they would do that since it was our fault, but they just had me send them pictures and then gave me the credit. If you have a police report number, I'm sure they'll cover it!
Keep us posted!
JP

rachelh
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Finally nudged my husband enough to call the credit card company and guess what...THEY ONLY COVER THEFT FOR 90 DAYS FROM THE PURCHASE!:(

Guess I will try calling the manufacturer tomorrow (as a PP mentioned) and just beg.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Rachel

MarisaSF
08-09-2007, 01:13 AM
So sorry. :(
Maybe be sneaky/pro-active and post a "Wanted" ad on craigslist that doesn't divulge that your stroller was stolen. If the robber is dumb enough to respond to your ad, you can have the police waiting there with you. ;)

Melanie
08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Smart idea!

Melanie
08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Smart idea!

american_mama
08-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I had a stroller stolen and posted about it in the stroller forum a few years ago. My situation was different - it was a gigantic antique pram stolen from under my nose while DD and I were in the bathroom and I was pretty sure some nearby kids had literally run off with it. I put up signs in the neighborhood, went looking in bushes and some creeks... and a month later got a call from a couple who found it abandoned in their apartment dumpster, relatively unscathed.

If you think it's possible someone took it and later dumped it, I'd try some neighborhood signs.

I'm so sorry. AS someone told me, bad karma always comes to thieves.

american_mama
08-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I had a stroller stolen and posted about it in the stroller forum a few years ago. My situation was different - it was a gigantic antique pram stolen from under my nose while DD and I were in the bathroom and I was pretty sure some nearby kids had literally run off with it. I put up signs in the neighborhood, went looking in bushes and some creeks... and a month later got a call from a couple who found it abandoned in their apartment dumpster, relatively unscathed.

If you think it's possible someone took it and later dumped it, I'd try some neighborhood signs.

I'm so sorry. AS someone told me, bad karma always comes to thieves.

punkrockmama
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Aw Rachel, what a crappy, crappy thing. I can imagine how it made your heart and stomach sick. And MAD.

You've gotten some great ideas/advice. Just wanted to give ya hug and and agree with the pps. The good 'ol karma bus will come along and hit them hard.

Good luck. :)

punkrockmama
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Aw Rachel, what a crappy, crappy thing. I can imagine how it made your heart and stomach sick. And MAD.

You've gotten some great ideas/advice. Just wanted to give ya hug and and agree with the pps. The good 'ol karma bus will come along and hit them hard.

Good luck. :)

ktshea
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
>BTW, not to go off on a tangent, but I don't know if this
>exists anywhere else, and I know it wasn't in a mall, but it
>does bug me how in some restaurants, particularly those in
>shopping malls, have "stroller parking" areas. I understand
>the need for walking room and stuff, but this is a testimony
>to the fact that those "stroller parking" areas are not a good
>idea because anyone could walk off with one.

Ditto this. I took my girls to "Day Out With Thomas" last month and had to park my Silver Cross umbrella stroller in the stroller parking area during the train ride. I was a bit scared to leave it there, but parked next to someone's Bugaboo. Made mine look not-so-nice. ;)

To the OP - I really hope it turns up. I mean seriously, WHO steals a baby stroller? That's just downright mean.