PDA

View Full Version : My son is not a chew toy.

kijip
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Call me crazy, cause I am. My crazy awful house guest brother and his family moved up here in July and have been staying with us. (no worries they move out soon to a transitional housing program and my brother now has a job etc). However, we can not leave our son near my 18 month old cousin without him getting little bite marks on his arms. My cousin is not biting him in anger, he is a drooling teether and will chew on anyone given the opportunity, including himself. So I went out and bought a bunch of freezer teething rings when they arrived. If he starts to get close to mouthing anyone, my older nephew (age 12), me, my husband will all give him a teether and the problem is solved with no bite marks. If, by accident (because we make every effort to NOT leave Toby alone with my SIL and Bro) his parents happen to be the only ones supervising (for example, I am god forbid taking a shower and J is getting the mail), Toby gets bit by my nephew. Last time, hard enough to scratch up skin. We take Toby with us everywhere, even to the store for milk or to our bedroom while we fold laundry. Which is hard for Toby because of course he would rather stay playing with his 2 little cousins than sit on my bed and fold laundry. For example yesterday I had promised to walk my 12 year old nephew down to my other brother's apartment to pick up some baseball cards and oogle the collection from Avery's and my childhood. Toby begged, begged to stay home and continue playing with my 5 year old niece. Sure enough, even though I reminded SIL that the youngest one needs supervision and gave him a teether myself before I left, Toby had 2 full impressions of the 18 month old's mouth on his arms. I have never seen this happen but my SIL and 12 year old nephew confirm that Toby is not bugging Cameron when it happens, that SIL or my brother will "look away for just a second" (more like they ignore the kids entirely) and then bam. If it really happened when people looked away for just a second, it would be happening when J or I are around. But when J and I are around the kids are supervised and Cameron is paid enough attention to that he is engaged enough in another activity and getting his needs (like a drink, orajel or the teethers) met. It is not a problem with my nephew it is a problem with my brother and SIL who just plain don't take care of their kid.

They will be gone soon. That is my mantra. ;)

On a positive note, Toby is thriving from being close to the other kids and the other kids are doing better too (my 5 yo niece talks now, something she barely did a month ago and she and her brothers eat non-junk foods now.)

Still, if you did not know better, you might think Toby was having his arms intentionally scarred/branded for fashion right now. :(

kijip
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Call me crazy, cause I am. My crazy awful house guest brother and his family moved up here in July and have been staying with us. (no worries they move out soon to a transitional housing program and my brother now has a job etc). However, we can not leave our son near my 18 month old cousin without him getting little bite marks on his arms. My cousin is not biting him in anger, he is a drooling teether and will chew on anyone given the opportunity, including himself. So I went out and bought a bunch of freezer teething rings when they arrived. If he starts to get close to mouthing anyone, my older nephew (age 12), me, my husband will all give him a teether and the problem is solved with no bite marks. If, by accident (because we make every effort to NOT leave Toby alone with my SIL and Bro) his parents happen to be the only ones supervising (for example, I am god forbid taking a shower and J is getting the mail), Toby gets bit by my nephew. Last time, hard enough to scratch up skin. We take Toby with us everywhere, even to the store for milk or to our bedroom while we fold laundry. Which is hard for Toby because of course he would rather stay playing with his 2 little cousins than sit on my bed and fold laundry. For example yesterday I had promised to walk my 12 year old nephew down to my other brother's apartment to pick up some baseball cards and oogle the collection from Avery's and my childhood. Toby begged, begged to stay home and continue playing with my 5 year old niece. Sure enough, even though I reminded SIL that the youngest one needs supervision and gave him a teether myself before I left, Toby had 2 full impressions of the 18 month old's mouth on his arms. I have never seen this happen but my SIL and 12 year old nephew confirm that Toby is not bugging Cameron when it happens, that SIL or my brother will "look away for just a second" (more like they ignore the kids entirely) and then bam. If it really happened when people looked away for just a second, it would be happening when J or I are around. But when J and I are around the kids are supervised and Cameron is paid enough attention to that he is engaged enough in another activity and getting his needs (like a drink, orajel or the teethers) met. It is not a problem with my nephew it is a problem with my brother and SIL who just plain don't take care of their kid.

They will be gone soon. That is my mantra. ;)

On a positive note, Toby is thriving from being close to the other kids and the other kids are doing better too (my 5 yo niece talks now, something she barely did a month ago and she and her brothers eat non-junk foods now.)

Still, if you did not know better, you might think Toby was having his arms intentionally scarred/branded for fashion right now. :(

gatorsmom
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
So sorry you have to go through that. It must be so hard. Keep repeating that mantra and try to focus on the positives. They'll be gone soon...

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

tarabenet
08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I hope they'll be gone sooner than soon.

Meanwhile, could you teach Toby to just scream "OUCH!" to try to get the point across to the baby's parents? Then again, some battles are just not worth fighting I guess.

Melanie
08-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Um, wow. You have a FAMILY OF FIVE staying with you? I can't get past that part of it. LOL.

kijip
08-16-2007, 01:54 AM
>Um, wow. You have a FAMILY OF FIVE staying with you? I can't
>get past that part of it. LOL.

Do we have a leaping for joy smilie? Better for them, better for us. It was being with us or them being on the street with three kids. As much as I hated having them here, there is not much else I could do with any sort of regard for the safety and security of 3 kids. It was not so bad space wise, they slept in our third bedroom with the 18 month old and the 5 and 12 year old slept on the pull out. And we have a table that pulls out to seat up to 12 so we could all eat meals. Still three weeks is more than enough. I was expecting 2-6 weeks or thereabouts before they got placed in a transitional housing program so I am glad I was correct and closer to 2 than 6. :P I told them flat out that if they blew this opportunity, we will help the kids only.

mamicka
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Katie, you are a saint. Bless you for helping them, but glad the torture is over for Toby.

Allison
& my 3 sons

kijip
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
No, I am not a saint. I was *this close* to tossing them out on their tushes and moving myself and my family to someplace far far away.