PDA

View Full Version : I hate vacations

niccig
08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Everyone says, have a great time, enjoy yourself, relax. How? I spend the days leading up to it running errands, washing clothes, madly packing with DS helping me to pack by unpacking any bag he finds. DH works right up to the last minute, so doesn't help much, then we're on a red-eye flight for several hours with a 2.5 yo, connect flights, drive an hour, and once we're at our destination, I get to spend it with ILs, trying to get DS to behave in restaurants or to go to sleep in the hotel room, his entire schedule is thrown off even though I try to prevent this and get the evil eye as I'm spoiling the fun, then I get to do the transport in reverse by myself as DH is staying on for work, struggle with baggage claim and getting DS to the car at LAX again by myself, to then get him adjusted to life at home...where in all of that do I get to enjoy myself???

I have booked a massage while we're away, so I will get 80 mins to myself - and I will enjoy every second.

I hate vacations with a toddler...it's just easier to stay at home.

californiagirl
08-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I hear you. How was your marvelous relaxing trip to Europe? Uh, the one that involved a 3-airplane trip where every plane was late and DH was on crutches? And then he spent most of the first week lying down with his foot up while I carried my 40-pound toddler around a mosquito ridden foreign country? That trip? The one where DH couldn't think of anything one might possibly do given a rental car in the entire country of Ireland? The one where it took DH and DSIL 4 *hours* to get ready one day?

We've been home 2 weeks now and I expect to recover sometime soon.

LarsMal
08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Ugh...I am SOOO with you! Just read my post in the Lounge. I don't want to think about it long enough to type it out again- I may develop a nervous tick!

So let's see...about 15 years until we can enjoy a vacation?!

almostamom
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I just lived your entire post but substituted an 8 hour drive each way for the airplane rides/hassle. We borrowed a portable DVD player to use in restaurants at the suggestion of a friend. The last thing I needed was DS melting down at a restaurant in front of the inlaws! We didn't need it - DS threw up his lunch on my MIL at the restaurant before he even had a chance to melt down. What luck! ;)

I hope you enjoy your massage. It sounds like you both need and deserve it! :)

Hugs,
Linda

niccig
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
You DS has good aim. I won't be so lucky! }(

2 hours before we leave...and everything bar eating dinner and bathing DS is done...so I better get cracking or we'll be late!