PDA

View Full Version : People... it's a kitten... not your long lost brother

Radosti
08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I have been dealing with a colony of cats at a local farm. I pulled 13 kittens out of the colony. Actually 14, but one was not tameable, so I had her fixed and let her back out. So, my colony contains a couple of cats that are pure maine coon by the looks of them. They are now all fixed. But they aren't tame since they never come near me. I trapped them, had the fixed and released them. Now, the last litter of kittens I picked up there were two super fluffy kittens that were clearly maine coon mixes. One looked purebred in that tabby coloration that all maine coons come in, and one looked the same, but was all black. And when I say purebred, I mean PUREBRED looking, so stinkin cute, you could eat him right up. And on top of the cuteness, he has a stellar personality. Very purry, people oriented, gentle, loves kids, is not shy, is not afraid of dogs... the list goes on. And the little black sister is a perfect match for him. Same adorable fluffiness, same personality, same everything.

OK, I get it. Maine Coon baby kittens are extremely rare in shelters or rescues. And these guys are 6-7 weeks old, so brand new so to speak. They held out a while too, the mom was caught on tuesday and went to get fixed, while the kittens were caught on Thursday and Saturday. However, they weren't any worse for the wear and were extremely happy to see me.

Needless to say, hours after I posted them online, I had 15 applications with people telling me it was love at first sight and meant to be. I can only pick one person per kitten... and of course I am picking the person who just had to put their 18 year old cat down, and wanted both of these kittens so they can keep company. She paid the adoption fee for the kittens and will come back when they are fixed/tested/vaccinated (two weeks) to pick them up. She was sooooo in love with them... as anyone would be as they are picture perfect.

So, after she left, I went online and replied to the rest saying that these two kittens were adopted, but we still have two long haired 6 week old kittens who are also very adorable.

The dramatic replies I received ranged from people offering me $400 per kitten because it was incomprehensible to them that money won't reverse my decision to place the kittens with this lady. Other people were clearly in tears as they replied... you'd think I just refused to give them back their long lost brother. Someone else had to recover from the loss of the kitten they thought was rightfully theirs.

Oy people... these were two kittens from a stinkin farm down the street. Yes, they were extremely cute... but for Pete's sake... I don't need the drama. I've been trapping at that farm for a while and quite frankly, I was very glad to pull these two kittens from the website. Now, Belle and Sadie can get some of the same spotlight. They are gorgeous, but no-one saw them with the two MAine coons listed. Oy...

ShanaMama
08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
How frustrating that people only want the 'brand name' kittens! The work you do with animal rescue inspires me.

lizajane
08-21-2007, 07:30 PM
hey! i thought i was the only kitten stealer!! hooray! my former neighbor REFUSED to spay his cat (another neighbor offered to take the cat AND pay AND care for the cat during recovery and he just told her he would "get to it" himself... and never did...)so he had this momma cat, who had kittens. and then he kept a daughter cat... so the momma cat had kittens EVERY YEAR. and then the year i lived in the neighborhood, the daughter turned momma cat had kittens at the SAME times as her momma.

so there were 6 in one litter, 3 black and 3 gray tabby. and there were 4 in the other litter, all black. the 6 lived under a different neighbors deck- the one who offered to spay and loved animals, fortunately. and the others lived under the owners deck.

the owner was NEVER at home- always out of town on business.

so i flat out went to his deck when he wasn't there and stole his kittens and gave them all away. and i did the same with the ones under the other gal's deck, except i had her permission and her blessing. i gave away 3 of those, i think? maybe 4? and she took care of the other two.

i am not even sure the dude knew she had kittens again. he 100% didn't care that i gave them away. i am sure he was grateful. but i never even met him.

so arrest me. i am a kitten stealer.

(ETA: i did wait until they were old enough to leave momma!!!)

Radosti
08-22-2007, 08:07 AM
See... my goal is to get every cat and kitten fixed in this colony. I have the farmer's blessing on this, so not stealing anything. The kittens are mine to do with as I please. I paid their vet bills, I nursed them back to health. I have them listed for adoption on Petfinder. And people fill out applications and e-mail them to me. There is an adoption fee, but it covers all vetting and is still cheap compared to what they'd pay at the vet to get all that done. I get it done through a feral cat group who agreed to help me clean up the colony. Their prices are nominal and they've been wonderful with the help they gave me. I'm just tired and didn't anticipate how much emotion people put into bonding with a particular PICTURE of a kitten they've never met.

The farmer was in over his head with this colony. Now, he's got all fixed adults. So, no more kittens and he still has the mousers he needs. It worked out well.