PDA

View Full Version : Eewww gross! Barefoot baby!

Melanie
08-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Is it just me? I cannot get this out of my head. Yesterday I saw a Dad with his two girls, one around one year old, walking OUTSIDE at a STRIP MALL. The one year old had BARE FEET! yuck yuck yuck. Now I think baby feet are as cute as anything, but she was walking OUTSIDE at a STRIP MALL. blech.

Is it just me, or is this not only gross but unsafe? Or am I just too uptight. And there was no indication that this was just a family with financial issues who couldn't afford baby's shoes. ick ick ick. I'm plagued by the thought of what her feet must have looked like, and if she stepped in glass, nails, you name it. >:-(

elizabethkott
08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm right there with you. That's not only gross, it's unsafe! And if that little girl is like any baby I've ever met, you bet your sweet bibby that as soon as she gets herself in a seated position, those little piggies are going wee-wee-wee all the way into her mouth!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!
Yucky yuck yuck!
I hope that man's DW gave him a what-for when she found out!

Sheila
08-22-2007, 01:44 PM
It definitely is not just you. That is GROSS.

This reminds me of something I saw a couple of years ago, and I still think back to it occasionally and think how disgusting it was. I was at a mall food court. There was a baby (I guess in the 18 mo old range) eating at a mall high chair, with food smeared all over the tray, like spaghetti or something like that. This was on the tray of a MALL FOOD COURT HIGH CHAIR. And the baby was eating off of it.

::: shudder :::

This was like 3 years ago and I STILL cringe when I think of it!

Sheila
________
VOLCANO CLASSIC (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

katydid1971
08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
It sounds like tht guy has been taking classes at the Britney Spears school of crazy parenting. Who know what could be one the ground. I would be so afraid that DC's foot would be cut or something. But as we all have witnessed too many times, there are some really bad parents out there.
Sarah

Marisa6826
08-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I carry those Clorox wipes with me to clean tables/chairs/boosters before putting my kids in them. It's possible that this baby's parents did the same, no?

I'm not saying I would necessarily put food on a highchair tray, but I don't freak if a chicken finger is on the table during a meal. When I'm trying to herd both girls in a busy food court, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, kwim?

-m

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I am not a big fan of barefoot anywhere outside for safety reasons. But, if they aren't walking I see no reason to have shoes on them at all. If I had really scoped out the ground and it was impromptu (dc got tired of being in a stroller or carrier; the trip was taking longer than expected...) I might let dc go barefoot though. Doesn't bug me all that much but it looks like I am in the minority. :)

Beth

s7714
08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm right there with you. I never let my DDs run around without shoes in parks, stores, etc. People just leave too much cr*p laying around these days, especially at parks. The last thing I need to to have to cart off one of my DDs to the ER because she got a sliver of broken glass stuck in her foot or something!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Wife_and_mommy
08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I couldn't stand seeing a couple of my neighbors' kids do that let alone in public. Running out to the mailbox and back is one thing; actually hanging out for an hour or two--not okay in my book.

I'm so with you...yuck.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

mom_hanna
08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
My ds (9 months) never wears shoes and very often ends up tired of sitting in the stroller or being carried and wants down on the ground. It doesn't bother me. On the occasion that he does have his robeez on, those go in his mouth more often than his bare feet, so that wouldn't solve the germ problem for us!

punkrockmama
08-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I love being barefoot. I love letting my kids go barefoot. All around the house, in the yard, in front of the house, grass feels so good, etc...

But at a STRIP MALL. Or anyplace way out in public like that? All kinds of nasty. Who cares about dirty feet, I think about glass, sharp pebbles, anything sharp. And um, you know some people do spit on the ground, and used up gum. *shudder*

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree. We're barefoot 90% of the time at home. Neither of the kids like to wear shoes at home. When we go out it's different though. Since dd is 4 she's required to wear shoes and ds is usually being carried if we're outside a strip mall for his own safety, at 21 months he could be in the parking lot in about 3 seconds so I've never even thought about the barefoot at a strip mall possibility.
But yeah, inside,outside, down the block a little,in the backyard(mostly because if we're in the backyard we always wind up either in water,sand or maybe both). It's easier to clean little feet than get all the sand out of sneakers.

randomkid
08-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Funny that you posted this since I almost posted something similar earlier this week.

I *hate* Wal-Mart, but sometimes Target just doesn't have what I need. So, this week I made the dreaded trip to Wal-Mart. I usually let DD look at toys as a reward for good behavior. So, here we are in the toy dept. and a little girl comes around the corner in NOTHING but a diaper! No clothes, no shoes, nothing. Not only is she walking around this disgusting store, but they are totally remodeling the store, so there is stuff everywhere! I'm sure there were all kinds of metal and wood pieces/splinters on the floor of that store. I was appalled!