PDA

View Full Version : I Want This House!!!

randomkid
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I know the neighborhood. We actually looked in there 4+ years ago when we were looking for a house, and even then they were out of our range. Heck, when my parents built their house in 1977, they looked in this subdivision and said that everything was overpriced - even empty lots. Check out "home details" for pricing and all the great updating they have done to the home. DH suggested that we offer them an even trade - our house for theirs. He said that he thinks that's a fair trade...for us - lol!

http://1026montcalmstreet.com/html/__photos__.html

Looks like a modest home from the outside, but check out the craft room/office, the nice kitchen and that laundry room is my dream! Never thought I'd say those words - lol! I also love the porch and pool area...notice the playground system - it's included! I'm so tempted to go look at it so I can see the rest of the house (and maybe find something I hate about it, so I don't have house envy so badly!). Of course, it would be even better if it came decorated, furnished and ready to go - just move in tomorrow...I can dream, right?

Why, oh why, did I have to look it up? Saw the website on one of those stupid little roadside signs that people have printed up. I just couldn't resist...and now I want it! You have to understand that I am not the type of person who sees a house and says "I have to have it!" That rarely happens with me, so this is really bugging the heck out of me.

Thanks, just had to get that out of my system. I feel better now. :-)

niccig
09-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I want this house too. I would seriously sell ANYTHING for that laundry room. I know, very sad of me. My laundry room is our main entry into the house from the car, between the 2 machines, 1 cupboard above, there is no room for anything else as 3 doors open into the space (outside door, kitchen door, bathroom). Doing anything in there is awkward.

In SoCal, that house would be a few million...so I'll have to keep dreaming, or move somewhere else.

Off to put the laundry in the dryer and dream of a utility sink...sigh.

julieakc
09-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow - that is a nice house.

I have to say that the price has me droppiny my jaw, but on the other end of the spectrum....I'm in Southern California and that house in my area would probably be twice that...yes, twice!

Maybe you should go look...there really might be something that would reduce your "must have" feeling. Ok, then again, if not....??

I do feel your pain though. There is a house just a few blocks away from us that we looked at very early on in our house hunt and even though I am happy with our house I frequently wish I had pushed DH more for that house (which was out of our range at the time).

niccig
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Julie, it would be more than twice, closer to 3 times I would think. Friends just bought in Burbank for 1.2 million - granted it has an amazing view, but the house is old 70's, nothing updated and everything has to be redone. And did I say, it was over 1 million, and there's no room for a playset at all. I really shouldn't have looked at the website, now I've got house envy for something we can never afford..

HannaAddict
09-04-2007, 01:23 AM
I have laundry room envy too! You sure get a lot more for the money in Florida than our neck of the woods.

Kimberly

kozachka
09-04-2007, 06:12 AM
It's a nice house but I am pretty sure it has been staged. We've had ours staged when we were selling it, and it was a pain to maintain it perfect, especially with a baby to take care of. These people are paying an arm-and-a-leg to their realtor to make the house look this nice in the pictures and either had to move out or are slaving to keep it nice but in this slow market that's what you have to do.

It is also not particularly big, your family would outgrow it no time. And I don't like eating breakfast at the bar... Did I make you feel just a bit better?

randomkid
09-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, thanks for trying.:-) Our home is actually bigger - we have a family room AND living room, 4 bed/3 bath. I just love that neighborhood - always have - and it's much closer to work. Plus, we don't have a pool and the yards in these older neighborhoods are much bigger.

Our house just isn't painted or decorated in anyway. We moved in here, sold our old house, some property in Michigan, my grandmother passed away, etc. Then, I got pregnant less than a year after we moved in and I was sick sick SICK the entire pregnancy. Then, of course, DD was born. We have few pictures on the walls, which are all the same grayish white, and no window decor to speak of. I was just ready to start decorating when I got pg. I just want a house that's painted inside, or easy to paint. We have vaulted ceilings, and I hate them. So, I'll continue to love that house in my mind, but I will get over it.

BTW, they don't have a realtor. They are doing it themselves - the web address is actually the street address. I'm sure someone in that house has real estate experience and would be a PITA to deal with. Besides, we could never afford it!

gatorsmom
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Is that a private pool? I would buy the house for the porch and backyard alone!!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Momof3Labs
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Niiiiice! I'd love a yard like that - and the climate to enjoy it year-round.

While others are stuck on the price, the taxes kill me. We pay double that around here for a similarly valued home!

randomkid
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh yes, that's their pool! Nice, huh? Actually, being in FL, private pools are very common. They are usually just not that nice. I'd love a pool, but the maintenance and monthly expense can be costly.

randomkid
09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah, property taxes here are ridiculous. The sad thing is, as soon as someone buys that house, the taxes will probably go even higher. We have a rental home that we are most likely going to have to sell, which I dread in this slow market. The taxes and insurance (super high because of all the hurricanes we've had in recent years) just keep driving up the cost and we can't really afford it anymore. This is also one reason the market here has really taken a turn for the worse!

tarabenet
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I agree it is a cool house and a really wonderful backyard, pool and playscape.

Doncha wonder what those people are thinking about all the hits the site is suddenly getting? That is just making me giggle, thinking about them watching the counter and wondering "Who are these people? Are they all going to start showing up to come and see the house? What will we do then? Does this mean we'll get a thousand offers?" I'd be freaking out, if I were in their shoes. LOL

julieakc
09-05-2007, 12:26 AM
>Julie, it would be more than twice, closer to 3 times I would
>think. Friends just bought in Burbank for 1.2 million -
>granted it has an amazing view, but the house is old 70's,
>nothing updated and everything has to be redone. And did I
>say, it was over 1 million, and there's no room for a playset
>at all. I really shouldn't have looked at the website, now
>I've got house envy for something we can never afford..

Nicci - yep the prices here in Burbank are kind of crazy - and of course there's nothing with a lot as big as the one Kim wants in Florida. Where are your friends?

boolady
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, um, we pay almost double that for a townhouse. Wow. It's beautiful.

randomkid
09-05-2007, 01:55 PM
That's really funny! I didn't even think of that - thanks for the laugh!

niccig
09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
On the hill, near Bryce Canyon. They do have an amazing view, but most of their lot is down a steep hill and unusable for play. Yep, prices here are crazy..

kijip
09-06-2007, 01:34 AM
>Oh yeah, property taxes here are ridiculous. The sad thing
>is, as soon as someone buys that house, the taxes will
>probably go even higher.

I think she meant the taxes were *low* :P. We pay just under that in taxes for a townhome that has 3/5ths the selling price. That dream house of yours is a pretty low tax bill for a lot of areas! Of course, Florida homeowners have high insurance costs which eat up the lower tax bill.

randomkid
09-06-2007, 06:43 AM
OK, went back and reread her response. You're right. See, our taxes keep going up and up, so that seems high to me. Of course, that is a more expensive home and our taxes are close to that and our home is worth about half of theirs. When someone buys that house, the next tax year, the property taxes will probably go up by about $1500 or so. That's the way it works around here - don't totally understand it, but I know whenver we have bought a home I expect the taxes to significantly increase the next year.

katydid1971
09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I have to agree with some if the pps, the lawn is great but the house is so so. The kithcen isn't very big, neithor is the master bedroom. The price isn't unreasonable for lots of places. My SIL bought a 1200 sq ft house in Santa Cruz for $750k. It was in terrible shape because it had been a rental before. She has completely replaced both bathrooms and the kitchen and is now completely (I mean everything) relandscaping the yard. After she finishes these changes the house will be worth close to 1 million and its a very tiny house. What you need to do is start watching HGTV and have hubby paint some rooms. Use this person's house as a guide if you really like it. Start with the livingroom and paint it that carmel color if you like it. Home depot paint is great and not to expensive. For about $100 with paint and supplies your room will look new. Try and do 1 room every couple months and you will love your house more. I like the laundry room but I wouldn't give up other space in my house for it. I spend a couple minutes a day in my laundry room but hours a day in my family and living rooms. I'm trying to make you feel better. I don't know if I am but start a little home improvement and you'll love your house more, I promise!!!!!
HTHs,
Sarah
PS I'm not trying to sound pushy, just positive, sorry if it didn't come out that way ;)

bunnisa
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll take the laundry room and the play structure. Oh, and the pool when the DC are older. :)

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"We must remember that life begins at home and we must also remember that the future of humanity passes through the family"
-Mother Teresa

julieakc
09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
>On the hill, near Bryce Canyon. They do have an amazing
>view, but most of their lot is down a steep hill and unusable
>for play. Yep, prices here are crazy..

That's where I live too! My house backs up to the park! Our yard is flat, but yes the hill is incredibly steep so there is no riding bikes, etc. out front - he just has to maneauver around the patio furniture. ;(

Can you beleive DS and I walk the steep hill every day to/from preschool - it is a short walk, but quite the workout!

emilys_mom
09-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Man...a huge laundry room and a crafts room. I'm just trying to figure out how to make BB #2 fit in our current house!

KentuckyRK
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Wow! That IS a beautiful house. I LOVE the laundry room and the playset in the backyard is a nice feature too.

Living in Kentucky, I don't think I'll ever get past the cost of houses in other states. I know the cost of living is higher for a reason but eegads!

This is the house here that I'm in love with, it's a little under the price range of the house you love and yet quite a bit larger. It kinda puts it all in perspective for me.

http://www.lbarmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Lexington&PRGNAME=MLSPictureDescriptions&ARGUMENTS=-N370697104,-N709383,-ABR,-N0,-ARR

randomkid
09-09-2007, 07:07 AM
I LOVE that backyard...and that view! Also a beautiful home. I have often told DH that we need to move to another state due to the cost of living here. At least we aren't as bad as some other states.

We have a friend that moved to Missouri a few years ago and has now moved back home to Costa Rica. She was telling us about her home in Missouri and I *think* it was close to, if not over, 3000ft with a lot of property and they were asking something like $179K. I almost fell over! You can't even find a home for that around here anymore.